Bogner Alchemist Problem - Please Help

dgaemc2

I think that I have a problem with the preamp of my Bogner Alchemist 112 combo.

When I power up the amp, the power tubes are receiving power and my footswitch turns on.....however, the corresponding channel indicators on the front of the amp do not light up. When I move out of standby to either of the power choices my power tubes turn blue as they should, however, no sound out of the speakers when playing. None of the preamp tubes are glowing when I power up the amp. The amp was working just fine yesterday. :confused:

I hope that somebody can help me identify and correct this problem without having to send it in for repairs. I have a gig coming up soon and this is my #1 amp. I have been using it regularly for 8 months and I absolutely love the sounds that I get out of this amp.

All ideas are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

V1 tube most likely but the manual says its usally the tubes :cry:
An expert will chime in soon.
Try the bogner forum too and Marvel will chime in.

Thanks just42dave! Are you refering to a Bogner forum from their website? If not, please provide a link.
Cheers

Thanks pluto!
I found it and just posted it there as well.
Does anybody else on this forum have ideas to help solve my problem?

Been a while since this topic. Yesterday I turned on my Alchemist as usual and had EXACTLY the same problem. None of the light indicators are working and no sound is coming out. Any ideas, possible solutions, etc.?

Unfortunately, I am of no help at all just as I received no help at all! Mine is a boat anchor!

When I bought the "Bogner Alchemist", I had no idea that it wasn't supported by Bogner which was a surprise and disappointment to say the least. It did sound good to me which lured me into buying it, but completely crapping out after 3 months of ownership is completely unacceptable. My problem was not tube related.....nor is yours in all probability!

Bogner? Never again for me, but that is just my opinion.

I am sorry for the rant, but honestly the Alchemist was my worst amp purchase so far in my lifetime and that is saying a lot!!

Best of luck to you getting it fixed to the point you can have any reliability confidence whatsoever in this amp. I truly hope that you do.

It's only a Bogner by name. Judging the rest of the BRAND by your Alchemist experience is a bit short-sighted.

Chris O,

I am not sure where you are going with your comment seeing that the only name that I see on my Alchemist is Bogner.....loud and proud! I definitely liked the sounds of my Alchemist (when it worked)! I am also not saying that Bogner's in general are crap by any stretch, they are just very low on my list for any future amp purchases I may consider based on my bad experiences with the Alchemist....just my opinion.

I am saying that my experience with my Bogner Alchemist is terrible and very disappointing to say the least. When I purchased this amp over 2 years ago, I was very happy with the sound and really enjoyed playing it......until the preamp cratered on me. That in itself isn't really the problem (because shit does happen). My biggest disappointment was to discover that Bogner outsourced all repairs for this amp to Line6! :thumbsdown: I am not knocking Line6 at all for this as they offer some good products in the digital/modelling world, but tube amp repairs....come on!! This was a very shortsighted mistake by Bogner IMO!!

Can anybody on this forum provide me and others with a detailed schematic of the Alchemist so that we can potentially troubleshoot and repair this amp on our own without spending the money to ship it to Line6 hoping they can really repair it for good? If so, that would be great. Simply stated, it would be cost prohibitive on my part to pay shipping to/from Line6 hoping that they are able to repair it such that it would be a reliable amp. If the required schematics of this amp were made available.....I may be able to fix it myself.....(or with the help of a local amp tech) which would be worthwhile to me. My Alchemist is out of warranty anyway.....so what the heck?

Thanks just42dave.....this is not a fuse issue, tube issue or power amp issue....it is purely a preamp circuitboard issue IMO and very difficult to troubleshoot without the detailed amp schematics. Thanks anyway for your suggestion!

ok....I apologize if my response was too negative toward Bogner. Yes, even the Alchemist sounded good (when it worked). I'd like to get it working again without sending it to Line6.

Are the schematics to the Alchemist available so that I can troubleshoot and hopefully enjoy playing this amp again? I have not been able to find schematics online.

Anybody???

Back