Musikraft Relic Project is Finished 12/22 - Pics at End!

wow thats a nice neck - i'm about to place an order with them and I've been debating what grade wood I should get.. Last order I had was a franky neck with the "select" grade wood I believe.. Not sure if I should go "select" again or step up to "premium" or "private reserve"...

sixstringking713":3p8hw5qv said:
wow thats a nice neck - i'm about to place an order with them and I've been debating what grade wood I should get.. Last order I had was a franky neck with the "select" grade wood I believe.. Not sure if I should go "select" again or step up to "premium" or "private reserve"...
I'd go private reserve if you are looking for heavy figuring. My experience is even the premium doesn't have that great of figuring, but the private reserve stuff is crazy...

Steve

Shawn Lutz":ta8e8qhf said:
slap that shit together you slacker LOL.

that is gonna be pretty bad ass, wanna see the final assembly
Dude! :D I would, but they still haven't shipped it yet. Those pics are from MJT. Hopefully, I'll have it next week and the next pics you see will be the fully assembled guitar. Once I get it, we're only talking' a couple hours to get her slapped together and set up...

Steve

I really like how Charvel recessed the non-fine tuning Floyd on the Guthrie model. Wonder if MK offers the shorter route for this option- it would look weird to just put it in a regular recessed rout with all that wood taken out behind it.

Also, do you recommend actually getting a MK salesperson on the phone when ordering?

sah5150":18gte2ri said:
Shawn Lutz":18gte2ri said:
slap that shit together you slacker LOL.

that is gonna be pretty bad ass, wanna see the final assembly
Dude! :D I would, but they still haven't shipped it yet. Those pics are from MJT. Hopefully, I'll have it next week and the next pics you see will be the fully assembled guitar. Once I get it, we're only talking' a couple hours to get her slapped together and set up...

Steve

ah, that splains it :rock:

alan67":w5ifx65s said:
I really like how Charvel recessed the non-fine tuning Floyd on the Guthrie model. Wonder if MK offers the shorter route for this option- it would look weird to just put it in a regular recessed rout with all that wood taken out behind it.
Dunno, but you could always ask them.

alan67":w5ifx65s said:
Also, do you recommend actually getting a MK salesperson on the phone when ordering?
If you have something that is not a standard option, I'd call, otherwise it just isn't necessary.

Steve

OK, finally put her together yesterday.

First, here is the pick guard all wired up. I used Wizz 1960-1963 Fender single coil replica pickups and the Duncan RTM in the bridge. One volume, One tone - both 250K. That is a WIMA poly .047 uF cap on the tone. Left the pot position right by the bridge pickup empty as you can see - kind of annoying on a strat to me. I split the Duncan RTM in position 4 on the 5 way switch and paired it with the middle pickup. The middle pickup is RW/RP, so position 2 is hum canceling. Now, when I talked to the guy at Wizz, he told me to flip the magnet in the RTM and so I did that before assembling. BUMMER! Turned out THAT was the out of phase setting and position 4 sounded really weak and shitty, so I had to take the thing apart again to put the magnet back in the way it was originally! :doh: Lesson learned - try it first, then change if you need to...

After the flip, position 4 sounds great, but is not hum canceling. It's a polarity issue, but the only way to fix it that I know of is to switch the wires so that the screw coil is used in the RTM in position 4, but I prefer the sound of the slug coil paired with the middle pickup. Hum is very minor anyway - no problem really...

pickguard.jpg

Guitar sounds great and plays great. Old school Floyd in combination with the locking tuners stays in tune just as good as with a locknut on this guitar - very cool! There is a minor issue with the 2nd and 3rd frets buzzing on the G and B strings, which is fairly common with these third party necks when they are new. I don't do fret work, so I'll take it to my repair guy to fix the issue and intonate the guitar (didn't bother since I knew I had to bring it to my repair guy for the fret issue).

Anyway, I like the RTM so far and the Wizz single coils are killer! This thing came out just as I imagined it. The MJT guys are amazing - highly recommended! Here are some final pics:

jhf_1.jpg

jhf_2.jpg

jhf_3.jpg

jhf_4.jpg

jhf_5.jpg

jhf_6.jpg

jhf_7.jpg

jhf_8.jpg

jhf_9.jpg

jhf_10.jpg

jhf_11.jpg

jhf_12.jpg

jhf_13.jpg

And one more in her new home in my studio :) :

jhf_14.jpg

Steve

Looks sweet! Congrats on a beautiful build. I am having a body painted my MJT black over candy apple red. I can't wait.

Love that neck!

Jet Troop":2p1xfni3 said:
Also what do you think of the aged plastic?
I think they did a great job on the aged plastic stuff!

Steve

That turned out great. The birdseye on that neck is insane...and no $4800 price tag ;) Nice move skipping the original volume hole and moving it down.

The picture in the display case looks like an authentic rode hard put up wet strat that gigged heavily in the late 70's-80's -- and retired after a double dose of penicillin lol

Back