Gil Yaron 59 Replica Headstock Repair

steve_k":3p78l5yz said:
Holy shit balls Dexter! I leave a while and this turns into a major cluster. It was supposed to be a "repair thread" on a head stock....nothing more, but it took a wrong turn. Here's what I wrote on another forum:

For the record, I have no desire to trash Gil's name. This thread was about a shipping wreck being repaired. However, for the journey this guitar had to make, it was poorly packaged - not worthy of a 10K guitar and that was a error in judgement on his part. As a master luthier, and hearing the tone of this guitar, it is no doubt he is on top of his game and the guitar itself is a beauty. I made the unfortunate mistake of going through Cliff as opposed to direct. This added a middle man in this complete mess. The original plan of that guitar shipping to him first was not possible due to unforeseen legal business. At this stopover, it could have been checked out, repackaged if needed, claim filed, etc. I had a phone call from both parties. But, instead of being accountable and taking the guitar back with a refund or partial refund for devalue and repair, the concern was trying to figure out crafty ways to file a claim. Granted, both Gil and myself are stuck in a region where things aren't that easy, but this is one reason to go through the middle man, with whom I have done business before. As far as I am concerned, neither stepped up to the plate and my guitar is broke and I am still out 10K. As for those that have gotten their guitars - great and press on. As a customer though, my needs were not met, and still aren't. But, Greg was good enough to take this on, and that is what this thread is about - watching the repair process.

Steve

Something doesn't pass the smell test with your story now........Gil should pack a $10,000 guitar in a better box & case though.........who really gives a fuck at the end of the day........nobody in this mess is gonna go hungry anytime soon.

Work it out between yourselves in private. I don't think there's really anyone to feel sorry for in this at all :thumbsdown:

joepete77":2zvj92k8 said:
steve_k":2zvj92k8 said:
Holy shit balls Dexter! I leave a while and this turns into a major cluster. It was supposed to be a "repair thread" on a head stock....nothing more, but it took a wrong turn. Here's what I wrote on another forum:

For the record, I have no desire to trash Gil's name. This thread was about a shipping wreck being repaired. However, for the journey this guitar had to make, it was poorly packaged - not worthy of a 10K guitar and that was a error in judgement on his part. As a master luthier, and hearing the tone of this guitar, it is no doubt he is on top of his game and the guitar itself is a beauty. I made the unfortunate mistake of going through Cliff as opposed to direct. This added a middle man in this complete mess. The original plan of that guitar shipping to him first was not possible due to unforeseen legal business. At this stopover, it could have been checked out, repackaged if needed, claim filed, etc. I had a phone call from both parties. But, instead of being accountable and taking the guitar back with a refund or partial refund for devalue and repair, the concern was trying to figure out crafty ways to file a claim. Granted, both Gil and myself are stuck in a region where things aren't that easy, but this is one reason to go through the middle man, with whom I have done business before. As far as I am concerned, neither stepped up to the plate and my guitar is broke and I am still out 10K. As for those that have gotten their guitars - great and press on. As a customer though, my needs were not met, and still aren't. But, Greg was good enough to take this on, and that is what this thread is about - watching the repair process.

Steve
So neither gil or cliff offered you either a full refund or another guitar? That's where the confusion comes in since they are saying that they gave those options to you.

If it had been that easy and clear cut to send Cliff back the guitar and him either take care of replacing it or refunding, don't you think I would have done that? In all fairness, when Gil called me he did say he would open up a slot and that it would be easier to build another one, as opposed to replacing the neck, due to all the refinishing that would be involved. We even talked of me getting this one fixed and him making me a 2nd one - but in order for that to happen, we would all be in for 3rds and then I would own two. That never gained any traction though - less due to Gil but more due to Cliff not being able to be involved. Problem is dealing with two people when they aren't even on the same page.

I am not taking anything away from Gil, the Luthier. At the end of the day though - they should have figured out what they wanted to do for me in light of all this. I told Cliff I wanted to be refunded partially for this guitar once Greg got it and looked at the damage and was confident it could be repaired. Considering the value of my investment just lost 50%, I was wanted a partial refund and I would handle the repairs. I won't go into details about that but that wasn't happening either.

Granted, timing was shit with this lawsuit from Gibby. But, hey - that's not my problem is it?

If you don't give a fuck, then step off. Pretty simple.....

BYTOR":2ztc60zb said:
steve_k":2ztc60zb said:

Steve

Something doesn't pass the smell test with your story now........Gil should pack a $10,000 guitar in a better box & case though.........who really gives a fuck at the end of the day........nobody in this mess is gonna go hungry anytime soon.

Work it out between yourselves in private. I don't think there's really anyone to feel sorry for in this at all :thumbsdown:

I have no opinion about anything but the shipping materials pics. Not much different from the Burny LP copy I once owned that I bought off Ebay, except that was in a gig bag, inside the triangular box. Can't believe a guitar that cost that much wasn't packaged more securely. Problem with the insurance is, if the shipper deems the packaging not up to their standards they might deny the claim anyway.

Hope you guys work this out. If I had 10K it would be going into cars :LOL: :LOL: .....My current Burny is just fine.

steve_k":1hkc91ah said:
Here's a shot of the high impact newspaper that stabilized the guitar in its case and a picture of the box. The single ply box was shaped for the case and designed to transport an empty case - not a case with a 9lb guitar in it and provide any impact protection. He might as well have just stuck an address label on the case and forgot the box.

Totally unacceptable packing job. I've shipped dozens of guitars, and never had a problem. It's fairly simple, don't cheap out on the packing materials!

All you need is to loosen the stings slightly on the neck, place it in the guitar case, then immobilize it (bubble wrap, towel, newspaper, etc) and close the case.

Then you wrap the case in 2-3 inches of bubble wrap around all sides/top/bottom, put it in a 44" by 10" by 44" box, and then tape every angle/corner of the outside box so they slide on the conveyor belt and not hang.

I've shipped guitars to Germany, Japan, Australia, etc using US Postal Service Express Mail, Priority Mail, and Fedex.

No one every received a damaged guitar from me, or a snapped headstock. The packing materials cost about $25-35 with the good bubble wrap and a good box.

It's a $10,000 guitar. If you don't have enough profit margin built into that price point, charge for the packing for Pete's sake (not you Pete Thorn!).

I've dealt with Steve K about 12 times, he never had a damage issue or claim. He's been a great client.

As for Gil Yaron, seen his bursts, they good, George at Metro Amps loves his.

But you can't ship a guitar with the piss poor packing shown in those pics 10,000 feet, much less 10,000 miles (Israel to USA and back to Saudi Arabia) and expect it to show up in one piece.

You gotta admit tho the farther you ship something the more chance of something happening during shipping.

I won't even ship a LP in the CONUS.

I can just picture someone doing this ...

Sorry for the situation...I'd be sick to my stomach. But one of 3 choices..Full refund, New guitar or partial refund/and repair is a fair outcome..pick one and move on. I just shipped a Cali mod back to Dan Gower after I sold it to a fellow Rtalker who wanted Dan to add a few things. I'm not real comfortable shipping overseas as I have had mixed results..but I also had to lower the value or Dan would have had to pay through the nose to pick it up. I explained this to the buyer and he was ok with the risk..luckily it showed up just fine. But if it hadn't..no recourse since the declared value was less than 200 US..buyer was willing to take the risk.

No shipper would have paid up 10k or even half when they saw that packing.
Claim denied. Insufficient Packing and materials. Hope you get a new guitar out of this Steve. You didn't deserve this. Regardless if you can afford it or not. I personally know you sold allot of gear to pony up this cash and how excited you were over it.

The buyer made a poor decision. He should have taken the refund or waited for a replacement.

Good lesson to learn here.

grizdeluxe":2n8h5fmp said:
The buyer made a poor decision. He should have taken the refund or waited for a replacement.

While I appreciate your opinion, I don't know you and you don't know me and you really don't have one in this.

steve_k":tgzwj4v3 said:
grizdeluxe":tgzwj4v3 said:

While I appreciate your opinion, I don't know you and you don't know me and you really don't have one in this.

You put this up on an internet forum. Like the hundreds of others I'm just giving my .02.

Hope everything works out for you Steve. Keep those lines of communication open(this goes for Gil too) and I think you will get taken care of.

The Les Paul Studio I sold for $700 was packed way better than that. If it made it to the US location undamaged that was a miracle.

Steve my Dear!!
excuse me for this being my first post here but from what i've seen so far it will probably be one of the few i make.
You are some piece of work my friend.
you make a poor judgment call on your side and than freak out and attack PPL around you?
You are to blame for not insuring that guitar on its journy to Saudi Arabia.
You are the only one that chose not to receive Gils help regarding this matter because you prefered to try and get another guitar on the way - to top that you actually wrote it on TGP.
Gi'ls responsebility ends when the guitar arrived to the USA, it than went to the other part of the trip after some of the packing was lacking, tryed to avoid the saudi's hebrew lessons? :LOL: :LOL:
well, i have to salute you, you screw things up on your own, being offered help you don't actually deserve and have the stupidity to refuse it only in order to ship the guitar to a third party?
i think Gil is still offering you his help but after what you did to his reputation in public i would have told you to get lost.
this Gil guy has a reputation which goes way back with dosens of guitars sent and on top of that many many people who thank him for his knowledge sharing. it should be you who needs to apologize to Gil after lying in public etc'.
by the way, which case and outer box did you use to ship the guitar to Greg? i hope you at least insured it properly... :LOL: :LOL:

there-be-a-shit-storm-a-brewin.jpg

I think that post post before Rlord's is so stupid that it would be ridiculous for anyone to even acknowledge it...To be honest, that was as pathetic an attempt at trolling that i have ever seen...One post and then to say he won't be back is pretty lame...

sorry hunny
just came here because i was told thats whats going on here.
there's nothing to it more than that.

Back