Favourite speaker for a high gain 112 combo

GuitarGuyLP

I know combo amps in general are not too popular around here, but I have sold all of my other amps, and have a PRS Archon 25 combo on its way to me. It comes with a G12T75 which tbh I don't have a lot of faith in it sounding great with that amp. I still have a G12EVH, and a Jensen Electric Lightning to try in there. I am thinking about getting a couple more speakers to try since I am going with one amp I don't mind spending a bit to get the right speaker for it.

So far I have been researching
Fane F90 - there is almost no info about them anywhere what is out there sounds cool
Avatar/Fane M65 - supposedly a bigger, and clearer sounding Creamback M, good price
Celestion Lynchback- I haven't heard a single bad thing about them
Celestion Creamback neo- supposed to fall between th H and M Creamback, plus light weight
Scumback M75 PVC - clips sound good.

I don't play super high gain, but I do like a speaker that can cut through the mix a bit, anyone have any suggestions??

I like the EV12 that came with my 2C+ a lot, seems to cut very well. Really shows the true character of the amp because of the neutral nature of the speaker. Did have a K100 with a Jubilee combo, sounded great also. Nice mids, not overpowering.

I'm going to give the T75 a try, but I like mids, and they are pretty scooped.

I will add K100 to my list, I had a pair of them in a 212 and liked them a lot back a few years ago.

JCM800 212 combo is one of my favourite amps of all time.
The 5150 combo made me absolutely soil my undergarments the first time I heard one.

delta 12a regular one. as long as you can deal with lower/no speaker distortion this thing kills in my 1x12. can take my diezels with no sweat and the added bottom increases the perceived girth.

Lots of G12-65 love, I might have to try one out.

As for the EV/Delta pro recommendations I used to have both but found at lower volumes they are a rather dark speaker, and the Archon is a darker amp so I don't think that will be a good combo. Thanks for the suggestion though

GuitarGuyLP":1qw66jio said:
I'm going to give the T75 a try, but I like mids, and they are pretty scooped.

I will add K100 to my list, I had a pair of them in a 212 and liked them a lot back a few years ago.
Does the Archon not have a mid knob? Or do you like, dime the mids on every amp you own and still can't get enough of the stuff? :LOL: :LOL: I think your plan to give the 75 at least a try out is good; they can sound great in the right context/amp.

I have an Archon 100 right now that I have tried with a number of different speakers, so I have a good idea of how the amp sounds, and responds with some speakers. From my experience with T75s they have a lot of low end, and can be pretty bright, the Archon has a boat load of low end, and it a bit tame in the treble. From what I have found so far a tight speaker that is a bit on the bright side would work best, but going from a 100 watt head, and cab to a 112 25watt combo can change a lot. I am looking to get some ideas, I am planning on keeping this as my only amp, and maybe keep a couple of different speakers for when I want to change things up a bit, I have a bit of ADHD when it comes to gear lol.

If your a GB guy...definitely the Creamback M65. It's a higher wattage version with some attributes which really make it excel in a combo.

I use one in my Friedman Smallbox combo and it absolutely kills.

The Lynchback came across to me as a little darker than I prefer. But this was in a 2x12 cabinet, never tried it in the SB combo. So take that for what it's worth.

G12-65 or G12K100.

G12-65 will be a bit smoother, K100 will be more 'thunky'.

WGS ET-65 will be a tad more mid-forward and defined than an old G12-65.

Lots of creamback recommendations I am kind of leaning towards either a creamback neo to go super light weight combo (should be under 30lbs with a neo) or one of the Fane versions since I have heard they are similar, but a bit more clear in the top end which is what I think is lacking in greenback type speakers

Thanks for all the suggestions

Back