Ola does the Black album!!!

i was 8 in 1991 when i heard that record, and it damn near changed my life, and got me diving head first into heavy metal which i became obsessed with and got me started playing guitar. So if nothing else, its an excellent gateway record into metal, and maybe even playing, since those songs aren't exactly rocket science to play along with. Also, what were there, 6 radio singles on that album? you can't fuck with those songs.
metallica threads always bring out the worst in people :ROFLMAO:
Master of puppets II is never coming out. sorry guys.
I honestly love everything except for st anger . The guitars sound bland on last two albums though . The House That Jack Built tones are the verses is so underrated. I could talk Metallica all day lol
FFWFFTW

Fight Fire With Fire For The Win 🤘
best intro ever too !

Such a great rock album, with the pinnacle of analogue recording on full display.
The drums, bass and guitars just rule, as well as the vocal captures.

It's hilarious how many negative armchair experts there are, still to this day about the Black album. Listen to it without any expectations, and it's a monster record.
"Of Wolf and Man" is peak rock rhythm guitar tone for me, I still obsess about capturing the Black Album tone 30 years after it was released.

Such a great rock album, with the pinnacle of analogue recording on full display.
The drums, bass and guitars just rule, as well as the vocal captures.

It's hilarious how many negative armchair experts there are, still to this day about the Black album. Listen to it without any expectations, and it's a monster record.
"Of Wolf and Man" is peak rock rhythm guitar tone for me, I still obsess about capturing the Black Album tone 30 years after it was released.
Of wolf and man is a riff I play to dial in my sound on an amp . I always end up playing it . It’s simple , chunky , and fun

Of wolf and man is a riff I play to dial in my sound on an amp . I always end up playing it . It’s simple , chunky , and fun

It’s so good. Through The Never is close 2nd to me.
It’s funny, but I’ve always wanted to hear Harvester of Sorrow with the Black Album mix. I reckon that track would’ve been right at home on that record.

It’s funny, but I’ve always wanted to hear Harvester of Sorrow with the Black Album mix. I reckon that track would’ve been right at home on that record.
Definitely. All are great tone riffs . I always though Bell Tolls was their first attempt at a black album type track

I don't think the guitars are loud enough on the black album, they could use an extra couple db's. It would be nice to have AJFA with the same kinda production value as the Black Album though, especially the fat drum and bass tone.

I honestly love everything except for st anger . The guitars sound bland on last two albums though . The House That Jack Built tones are the verses is so underrated. I could talk Metallica all day lol

best intro ever too !
Load is Metallica's most under-rated album. "The House That Jack Built" "King Nothing" "Bleeding Me" "The Outlaw Torn" are all awesome songs. "Hero Of The Day" is cool too. It's gotta great guitar tone too... dark but cool. I think Hetfield tracked his main rhythm parts with a Mesa Triaxis and Kirk used a Dual rectifier. That would be their live tone for the next 5 years or so (but now James blends in a Diezel VH4 and Kirk blends in his signature Randall with the Mesa's... well it's all modelled now with the Axefx.) You can hear James on the left side, Kirk on the right side of Load, and they both have different tones.

Last edited:
Their early tone came from the alcohol/drug/anger/promiscuous sex induced era of their youth...ferocious, raw...thrash. Their later tones reflect age, reduced alcohol/drug use, growth, experience, and desire to make more money by appeasing the mainstream. Neither wrong or bad...I prefer my rock n roll with sex, drugs, and anger...I prefer the earlier Metallica.

Last edited:
Load is Metallica's most under-rated album. "The House That Jack Built" "King Nothing" "Bleeding Me" "The Outlaw Torn" are all awesome songs. "Hero Of The Day" is cool too. It's gotta great guitar tone too... dark but cool. I think Hetfield tracked his main rhythm parts with a Mesa Triaxis and Kirk used a Dual rectifier. That would be their live tone for the next 5 years or so (but now James blends in a Diezel VH4 and Kirk blends in his signature Randall with the Mesa's... well it's all modelled now with the Axefx.) You can hear James on the left side, Kirk on the left side of Load, and they both have different tones.
I absolutely lived load and reload . It’s very Alice in chsins type Metallica for me .But check out the tone James has on Ain’t My Bitch . In the chorus they actually play a real thrash riff for 3 seconds . The tone there is killer and just low in mix

Load is Metallica's most under-rated album. "The House That Jack Built" "King Nothing" "Bleeding Me" "The Outlaw Torn" are all awesome songs. "Hero Of The Day" is cool too. It's gotta great guitar tone too... dark but cool. I think Hetfield tracked his main rhythm parts with a Mesa Triaxis and Kirk used a Dual rectifier. That would be their live tone for the next 5 years or so (but now James blends in a Diezel VH4 and Kirk blends in his signature Randall with the Mesa's... well it's all modelled now with the Axefx.) You can hear James on the left side, Kirk on the left side of Load, and they both have different tones.
James also used his old trusty IIC++ on Load. Same amp used on TBA, Justice and probably a good chunk of Puppets.

Their early tone came from the alcohol/drug/anger/promiscuous sex induced era of their youth...ferocious, raw...thrash. There later tones reflect age, reduced alcohol/drug use, growth, experience, and desire to make more money by appeasing the mainstream. Neither wrong or bad...I prefer my rock n roll with sex, drugs, and anger...I prefer the earlier Metallica.

Bingo… these guys are not pissed anymore or have the drive when they were young. What do they have to be mad about? That’s going to be reflected in their writing for sure.

Back