Diezel VHX

Hello to all, I am new to this forum and here´s my short review of the mighty Diezel VHX - It´s f***ing fantastic ! I love this amp so much that after purchasing it, I sold my beloved amps :

- Friedman BE-50 deluxe
- Friedman BE-100 deluxe
- Friedman JJ-100 modified
- Diezel VH2
- Fryette PS-2

I should also say that I owned Diezel VH4 2018 and Herbert mk1 in the past.

Ok, so below is my first video when I got my VHX.
Since then I found, that 1 preamp tube was significantly lowering overall gain, so in this video I have blue channel with gain on full and it still doesn´t sound like too much gain IMO.

After I installed fresh preamp tube, the amp just started to sound as I though it should be and now I use my blue ch. with gain on 65% with shape 0 and modern mode - that´s my sound.
When using red channel with shape 0 and modern mode, I have my gain set somewhere between 40-55%, depending on the context and all EQ in both channels is at 50% :)

I never-ever played an amp, where I could set everything straight to noon and it sounds and feels so good, that I have no desire to tweak it whatsoever.
And this works even if I swap my PRS Tremonti in Drop C to Suhr Strat in standard E :)
It´s nuts !

I´ll be probably doing more videos, if anyone is interested.

Thank you so much for creating this monster of an amp @Peter Diezel and @Leo Diezel and @MourningEngine, who helped me so much with troubleshooting.

Oh, and bit off topic, but since I sold now all these nice amps, I am finally after 17 years in a market for a nice Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Reissue, either R0 or R9, not really sure, probably R0 as I have smaller fingers and PRS Pattern thin neck is hands down the best neck for my hands .
Because of that would you say R0 V2 or V3 neck shape could work for me ?

Last edited:
Way cool, Tomas! Nice video, and nice playing!
That is very interesting about your Preamp Tube.
I feel like my 2021 VH4 has more Gain than my VHX.
Now I'm gonna check my preamp tubes!

Thanks for posting that!

Welcome to the club! Have not touched my 2020 VH4 since I got my VHX and am selling it on Reverb. LOVE the VHX. Forget nailing tones of the other amps... it is it's own amp! Great vid!

WHY ON EARTH DOES DIEZEL NOT PROMOTE, MAKE VIDEOS OR LIST THIS ON THEIR MAIN SITE? @Leo Diezel :rock:

I completely concur. Why is this amp not featured on their main website? It's the Flagship.

Also, I want a Peter & Peter video (or a Peter & Leo video) about the VHX.
I love the Peter & Peter videos on the different amps (from 2017).
So much great information there.
I wouldn’t call the flagship . It’s cool but there’s guys like me with a few Diezel amps but I don’t feel the need for vhx . I own 3 so I’m a Diezel fan

Way cool, Tomas! Nice video, and nice playing!
That is very interesting about your Preamp Tube.
I feel like my 2021 VH4 has more Gain than my VHX.
Now I'm gonna check my preamp tubes!

Thanks for posting that!
Yes, even with new preamp tube it still has less gain than the vh4, but that Leo already disclosed. 0,65 on vhx gain is like vh4 with knob at noon, so you can have wider sweet spot with vhx.

Here’s new brief overview of vhx I did yesterday :

I tried maybe 50 different high-end tube amps during my hunt for ultimate tube amp rig.
I have finally found my holy grail - the VHX.

This is just a brief overview of all 4 channels. It has 30 different preamp combinations but I used only 1 for each channel, otherwise this video would be longer than the history of Universe ;)

All pots are at 50%, including gain and channel masters. Overall master is set at 10% - ca. 80-85db, you can hear strings or TV over the sound, but the sound and feel is all there in full glory. Master volume volume works even better than in any of the Friedmans I had.

And I am not even going to tell you that this amp is the quietest one, even fractal has a lot more noise with hi-gain sounds than the VHX. It also has by far the most natural noise gate I ever tried. And I am also not going to explain to you all other bonuses, such as FX options and recording/playing directly without cab, built in attenuator, etc.

This is just me playing random chords to check the gain structure and amp response as I check with every amp. I dare to say It’s mind-blowingly good and puts to shame any other 4k amps I tried or owned. It is also even better, much better than Vh4, Herbert Mk1 and VH2, which I owned for quite some time. This amp will handle any type of guitar, tuning or pickups with all the modes and gain structure shaping options.

I have been waiting all my life for this amp. Big thanks to @Peter Diezel from Diezel Amplification and @Leo Diezel for creating the VHX !

I wouldn’t call the flagship . It’s cool but there’s guys like me with a few Diezel amps but I don’t feel the need for vhx . I own 3 so I’m a Diezel fan

Yeah if you have 3 Diezels, then no need for a VHX. This amp feels like you have 20-30 Diezels in one with all the voicings. So I can save about $7,200 by not owning multiple amps. The second cab being front loaded with G12's was vital. Combined with the rear loaded cab with V30's it is heaven. The RL cab with V30's alone was not the greatest combo for my personal goals of tight chug city.

It does nail the VH4 and Herbert tones IMO if dialed right (never tried Hagen as I do not have one to compare) but IMO the amp is it's own. For my ears Shape one in Vintage is just chug clarity city and the clean channel is almost Fenderish. Much nicer then my VH4 clean. No more pedal mess for me. I just love my GC pro and that is it.

Which is your fav that you have? Herbert?

Yes, even with new preamp tube it still has less gain than the vh4, but that Leo already disclosed. 0,65 on vhx gain is like vh4 with knob at noon, so you can have wider sweet spot with vhx.
How did you figure out that preamp one tube was giving you less gain?

It hits all the Flagship points: Revolutionary Format (Tube with DSP FX/DSP Relay Control), Latest Tech, More Than 4 Amp Voicings, Highest Price Tag (of any new amp, let alone Diezel), Continued Support/Updates, Current Beta Testing, Newest Major Amp Model....

That's how most amp companies would determine their Flagship.

It really has nothing to do with how many particular make amps a person owns.
I own an ENGL Invader 2, but the ENGL Savage 120 Mk2 is the Flagship amp right now,
and I sold my Savage 120 MK2 three weeks ago, cause channels 2 & 3 weren't for me,
but It's still the flagship...doesn't mean it's a "better" amp, just that it's their latest, greatest thing.
There will be a new Flagship in time.

It hits all the Flagship points: Revolutionary Format (Tube with DSP FX/DSP Relay Control), Latest Tech, More Than 4 Amp Voicings, Highest Price Tag (of any new amp, let alone Diezel), Continued Support/Updates, Current Beta Testing, Newest Major Amp Model....

That's how most amp companies would determine their Flagship.

It really has nothing to do with how many particular make amps a person owns.
I own an ENGL Invader 2, but the ENGL Savage 120 Mk2 is the Flagship amp right now,
and I sold my Savage 120 MK2 three weeks ago, cause channels 2 & 3 weren't for me,
but It's still the flagship...doesn't mean it's a "better" amp, just that it's their latest, greatest thing.
There will be a new Flagship in time.
It can’t be the flagship. They are a tube amp company that made one amp with digital effects added . There’s lots of guys like me that love Diezel but do not like vhx . It’s cool but it does do exactly what the other amps do . I like Herbert’s and vh4 way more. Most guys with diezels I know own vh4s and Herbert’s not vhx . T

It can’t be the flagship. They are a tube amp company that made one amp with digital effects added . There’s lots of guys like me that love Diezel but do not like vhx . It’s cool but it does do exactly what the other amps do . I like Herbert’s and vh4 way more. Most guys with diezels I know own vh4s and Herbert’s not vhx . T

I am always curious when people say things about certain products.... so with that.... have you tried or spent a large amount of time with a VHX? Or is it just from clips you have heard? Kind of like how I always think all ESP LTD is poor or lesser than my guitars because all I own is ESP Custom shop guitars... but certain LTD models play and sound so good.

I am always curious when people say things about certain products.... so with that.... have you tried or spent a large amount of time with a VHX? Or is it just from clips you have heard? Kind of like how I always think all ESP LTD is poor or lesser than my guitars because all I own is ESP Custom shop guitars... but certain LTD models play and sound so good.
I think vhx is pretty sweet . Really cool . But I still preferred my other ones .I think I prefer my old Herbert’s mk 1 over my mk 3 and Vh4 . They all are more differ than people think including vhx . It’s a great amp . I just think vh4 is what people still call the flagship . It’s just THE Diezel .. But don’t think I dislike the amp . I love all Diezels

I think vhx is pretty sweet . Really cool . But I still preferred my other ones .I think I prefer my old Herbert’s mk 1 over my mk 3 and Vh4 . They all are more differ than people think including vhx . It’s a great amp . I just think vh4 is what people still call the flagship . It’s just THE Diezel .. But don’t think I dislike the amp . I love all Diezels
Makes sense dude. Down the road i want to try the Hetfield 6550 VH4 Tube set up.

Makes sense dude. Down the road i want to try the Hetfield 6550 VH4 Tube set up.
I’ll be honest I put Mesa 6l6s in all mine . They add some aggression for me . I have an old Herbert mk 1 that’s still my fav . I mix it with my wizard and Hermanson for my favorite tone . Diezels blend perfectly with Marshall style amps . I need to try 6550 though . On st anger had a tone was still really good

Back