Diezel VHX

Thanks again, Tomas, for the test idea!

I hooked up my VH4 and my VHX into my Mesa Head track amp switcher yesterday,
and put both amps' Channels 3 and 4 against each other (Gain at Noon, same settings, same volume-measured by db meter)
and to my surprise, the VHX had equal gain with the VH4 at noon, and dimed.
What surprised me, was that the VHX had more "body" to the tone, than the VH4.
The VH4's tone was a bit thinner/dryer than the VHX.

Mesa Sean is exactly correct: "The VHX is it's own amp"
It is really is "it's own thing".
Now that I'm looking at it like that, the amp has just opened up for me.
I've let go of: "Is this Herbert Ch 3? or Hagen Ch 4?, and I'm just tweaking the Preset for the Song Part,
and what tone fits that part best. It's really opened up the Voices and Shapes for me.
I'm really hearing their textures for their individual voice/shape, and they are inspiring!
I had vh4 and herbie mk1 and to me, vhx is better, but I have found out that only after a few months of owning it ! But once I did, oh man ! :) :)

All I used was a VH4... since I got my VH4... have not turned it on and am selling it on Reverb now.. :0

Love my VHX!
I'm crying for your VH4, Sean.
Looks so natural next to the VHX.

Don't sell it.
Start an amp collection.
Once you get to 4 amps, you sell 1, and get another to try.
Then sell 1, and so on....😃

yes, I prefer it to the blue ch.
try this : red ch, shape 0, modern mode, gain 0.50, bass 0,60, deep 0,70 rest at noon. my best diezel sound ever !

Thanks again, Tomas, for the test idea!

I hooked up my VH4 and my VHX into my Mesa Head track amp switcher yesterday,
and put both amps' Channels 3 and 4 against each other (Gain at Noon, same settings, same volume-measured by db meter)
and to my surprise, the VHX had equal gain with the VH4 at noon, and dimed.
What surprised me, was that the VHX had more "body" to the tone, than the VH4.
The VH4's tone was a bit thinner/dryer than the VHX.

Mesa Sean is exactly correct: "The VHX is it's own amp"
It is really is "it's own thing".
Now that I'm looking at it like that, the amp has just opened up for me.
I've let go of: "Is this Herbert Ch 3? or Hagen Ch 4?, and I'm just tweaking the Preset for the Song Part,
and what tone fits that part best. It's really opened up the Voices and Shapes for me.
I'm really hearing their textures for their individual voice/shape, and they are inspiring!

Thanks dude. The first week I was all about... "I need to nail the VH4 tone! Need to nail the Herbert tone! Need to nail the Hagen!!"

After a few weeks... nope. VHX is like the ultimate Diezel as it has so many voicings let alone the built in FX. I have my old 2000's Hetfield live clean tone which is where he used a JC-120 + Mesa Triaxis and it sounds amazing.

But exploring and saving to many voicings for me is the most fun.

What REALLY is the most handy is that I can save voicings based on guitars. So almost all my guitars have either the EMG 60/81 combo or the Het Set. (I prefer 60/81) but certain guitars just sound different slightly and I can make a preset JUST for that guitar.

Like one of my best sounding clean and crunch guitars is the ESP 1998 Hetfield JH-3 Les Paul Eclipse. But for some reason it is not as "hot" as other guitars. So I simply have a preset called JH-3 and use that when I play.

Or if I use my Grynch Baritone tuned to A standard I need to really adjust and get rid of flub. The VH4 always HATED my Grynch. Way too much flub. VHX I can dial the flub out, save and and name.

So clean ;-)

IMG_2531.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2531.JPG
    IMG_2531.JPG
    984.5 KB · Views: 94
What REALLY is the most handy is that I can save voicings based on guitars. So almost all my guitars have either the EMG 60/81 combo or the Het Set. (I prefer 60/81) but certain guitars just sound different slightly and I can make a preset JUST for that guitar.
Yes that's where becomes really handy, also i use a separate preset for neck and bridge.
Also you don't have to use the same Poweramp setting (presence, deep, midcut) for each channel/preset.
Especially for a classic crunch sound i like to run the deep very low, where on a high gain setting i would run it higher.

Last edited:
So since I got my VHX back around October 9th of 2022 I have not turned on my VH4 until today. I put my VH4 up on Reverb (link below) a couple of weeks ago as I felt I just was too much in love with my VHX, that I had no need for it.

Today for a goof I fired up the VH4 and now 100% I am selling it. The VHX nails the VH4 exact tone IMO but more importantly the VHX has way too many features that I enjoy from the FX and the insanely crisp clean channel. I have my Silver and Blue face settings dialed in BUT my favorite setting.... hands down is Vintage mode with Shape 0. Also red channel sounds so insane with the gain dialed back.

I find also my VH4 always had a bunch of noise and static because of all the pedals running in and out of the channel inserts, parallel loop and more. VHX is dead silent and the clean is so sparkly clean it borderline reminds me of a JC-120 minus the Roland speakers. In fact I ran a 12 band EQ and MXR Chorus pedal jus to try to get to a clean tone I liked with the VHX4 but never could.

So for me the VHX really is it's own amp but also I have my VH4 on tap whenever I want it.

Here is the auction if anyone is interested:

https://reverb.com/item/63541987-diezel-vh4-4-channel-100-watt-guitar-amp-head-2020-mint-w-box
I'll let it go for $3800 plus shipping in the USA. Bought it brand new in 2020.

Cheers!

So since I got my VHX back around October 9th of 2022 I have not turned on my VH4 until today. I put my VH4 up on Reverb (link below) a couple of weeks ago as I felt I just was too much in love with my VHX, that I had no need for it.

Today for a goof I fired up the VH4 and now 100% I am selling it. The VHX nails the VH4 exact tone IMO but more importantly the VHX has way too many features that I enjoy from the FX and the insanely crisp clean channel. I have my Silver and Blue face settings dialed in BUT my favorite setting.... hands down is Vintage mode with Shape 0. Also red channel sounds so insane with the gain dialed back.

I find also my VH4 always had a bunch of noise and static because of all the pedals running in and out of the channel inserts, parallel loop and more. VHX is dead silent and the clean is so sparkly clean it borderline reminds me of a JC-120 minus the Roland speakers. In fact I ran a 12 band EQ and MXR Chorus pedal jus to try to get to a clean tone I liked with the VHX4 but never could.

So for me the VHX really is it's own amp but also I have my VH4 on tap whenever I want it.

https://reverb.com/item/63541987-diezel-vh4-4-channel-100-watt-guitar-amp-head-2020-mint-w-box

Cheers!
yep, red ch. with gain at 0.45, shape 0 and vintage mode is bonkers ! pretty much every mode with shape on 0 is amazing. I don’t hate shape 1 but for sure, I hate 2, haha :) If there would be only 1 and 2, I would never keep this amp. Shape on 0 is where it’s at for me and then modes depends on my actual mood.

Last edited:
yep, red ch. with gain at 0.45, shape 0 and vintage mode is bonkers ! pretty much every mode with shape on 0 is amazing. I don’t hate shape 1 but for sure, I hate 2, haha :) If there would be only 1 and 2, I would never keep this amp. Shape on 0 is where it’s at for me and then modes depends on my actual mood.
I remember there was a bugged version back then where all the shape were 2 😁

haha yeah but shape 2 doe sever a purpose for those that want those creamy leads with tons of sustain. I need to mess with it more but then again I never play lead really.

I want to mess with shape 1 and the GEQ more. @Leo Diezel I honestly wish they would redesign the layout of how you raise and lower parameters within FX. Like the 5 band GEQ is amazing but weird that like.... 4 sliders are on the left side and the 5th is on the right. Would be killer if it popped open a little picture of a GEQ with 5 sliders like a Mark V type of look. :)

I'm finally starting to find uses for the Shapes and Voices in the VHX now.
I'm applying them to the songs from my band's setlist in the middle of playing the songs during rehearsal.
It's really cool when you are playing along, and you switch to a different Shape/Voice,
and the Guitar, Bass, and Drums just fall into the perfect mix of instruments.

For instance, we were playing Hash Pipe by Weezer (VHX: CH 3, Classic, 0), and as soon as I switched the Shape to 2,
the Guitar and the mix sounded perfect, especially the Guitar and Bass just sat perfectly together..
And you really hear the difference when you switch Shape/Voice in that setting.
(And I'm not trying to "match" Weezer's tone. I'm playing with a full Diezel metal tone, Gain at FULL)

If you're not in a band, just play along to some songs you like to play, and try switching Shape/Voice as you play along.
The differences will stand out better, and have better context, than when alone.

I friggin LOVE this amp!!

PS. my arms are getting tired from all the knob turning when making setlists, or naming Presets.
I'm so looking forward to the software editor. I already have two different 99 Preset Groups saved on my computer,
that I load in and out to play the 50+ songs we play in our live set now. It was hardcore to make/move all those Presets.
Also, I'm running a HX Stomp XL in the Pre-Loop for PRE-FX, and the HX Stomp XL and Mission expression pedal control all the VHX's functions.

Last edited:
I'm finally starting to find uses for the Shapes and Voices in the VHX now.
I'm applying them to the songs from my band's setlist in the middle of playing the songs during rehearsal.
It's really cool when you are playing along, and you switch to a different Shape/Voice,
and the Guitar, Bass, and Drums just fall into the perfect mix of instruments.

For instance, we were playing Hash Pipe by Weezer (VHX: CH 3, Classic, 0), and as soon as I switched the Shape to 2,
the Guitar and the mix sounded perfect, especially the Guitar and Bass just sat perfectly together..
And you really hear the difference when you switch Shape/Voice in that setting.
(And I'm not trying to "match" Weezer's tone. I'm playing with a full Diezel metal tone, Gain at FULL)

If you're not in a band, just play along to some songs you like to play, and try switching Shape/Voice as you play along.
The differences will stand out better, and have better context, than when alone.

I friggin LOVE this amp!!

PS. my arms are getting tired from all the knob turning when making setlists, or naming Presets.
I'm so looking forward to the software editor. I already have two different 99 Preset Groups saved on my computer,
that I load in and out to play the 50+ songs we play in our live set now. It was hardcore to make/move all those Presets.
Also, I'm running a HX Stomp XL in the Pre-Loop for PRE-FX, and the HX Stomp XL and Mission expression pedal control all the VHX's functions.

My favourite band are actually Weezer!

They used to run VH4 live with very extreme setting that make it sounds almost like shape 2.

The editor is very close to be released in alpha stage!

haha yeah but shape 2 doe sever a purpose for those that want those creamy leads with tons of sustain. I need to mess with it more but then again I never play lead really.

I want to mess with shape 1 and the GEQ more. @Leo Diezel I honestly wish they would redesign the layout of how you raise and lower parameters within FX. Like the 5 band GEQ is amazing but weird that like.... 4 sliders are on the left side and the 5th is on the right. Would be killer if it popped open a little picture of a GEQ with 5 sliders like a Mark V type of look. :)
That is something I could do! The sliders will still be on the side so you know exactly the relative knob to turn but there may be an overview in the middle!

My favourite band are actually Weezer!

They used to run VH4 live with very extreme setting that make it sounds almost like shape 2.

The editor is very close to be released in alpha stage!

That is so awesome you love Weezer! Hash Pipe is such a fun song to play.
We always get people up and dancing when we play it.

And I knew Weezer had used VH4's for a few years.
My guitar tone on Hash Pipe sounded great when I was using the VH4,
but it sounds SUPERB on the VHX.
I really like that Shape 2 texture. You can hear it, and it's excellently complex.
There are songs where it just clicks, like on Little Things by Bush, where I run CH3, Vintage, 2 for Rhy, and CH4 Vintage, 2 for the Solo.

For the Hash Pipe solo, I'm using CH 4 Classic, 0 with the Quad Pitch set to -12, +12 to spice it up live.
My goal is to apply the Shapes/Voices to all of the songs, so that the audience is hearing all the different variations throughout the 4 hour time period.

Super psyched about the Editor! You rule, Leo! It will be fun to trade Presets with other VHX owners!

And I definitely cannot THANK you guys enough, for not having to check all my knobs before each live set.
I will not miss that. I love having everything saved, and able to pull up with a single footswitch. 🤘

One thing I was wondering, is there a Tube Layout for the VHX?

I know V6-V9 are the Power Tubes , but V1-V5?
I'm assuming V5 is Phase Inverter. V1 is Ch1?
I have a brand new Hi-Gain JJ ECC83S I want to try in my VHX,
and I need to figure out which position to put it in.
The manual doesn't have a Tube Layout.
Thanks!

That is so awesome you love Weezer! Hash Pipe is such a fun song to play.
We always get people up and dancing when we play it.

And I knew Weezer had used VH4's for a few years.
My guitar tone on Hash Pipe sounded great when I was using the VH4,
but it sounds SUPERB on the VHX.
I really like that Shape 2 texture. You can hear it, and it's excellently complex.
There are songs where it just clicks, like on Little Things by Bush, where I run CH3, Vintage, 2 for Rhy, and CH4 Vintage, 2 for the Solo.

For the Hash Pipe solo, I'm using CH 4 Classic, 0 with the Quad Pitch set to -12, +12 to spice it up live.
My goal is to apply the Shapes/Voices to all of the songs, so that the audience is hearing all the different variations throughout the 4 hour time period.

Super psyched about the Editor! You rule, Leo! It will be fun to trade Presets with other VHX owners!

And I definitely cannot THANK you guys enough, for not having to check all my knobs before each live set.
I will not miss that. I love having everything saved, and able to pull up with a single footswitch. 🤘

One thing I was wondering, is there a Tube Layout for the VHX?

I know V6-V9 are the Power Tubes , but V1-V5?
I'm assuming V5 is Phase Inverter. V1 is Ch1?
I have a brand new Hi-Gain JJ ECC83S I want to try in my VHX,
and I need to figure out which position to put it in.
The manual doesn't have a Tube Layout.
Thanks!

Thank you so much!

As for tube layout V1 is half used for CH1 and CH2, the other half for 3 and 4.

V2 and V3 are for the preamp and mostly shared by all channels, V4 is the return driver and V5 the PI.

I would usually not recommend a JJ in V1 as usually they sound a bit mushy and too low mid focused, but it really depends on taste and guitar used so please come back with some feedback on your use case!

That is something I could do! The sliders will still be on the side so you know exactly the relative knob to turn but there may be an overview in the middle!
Awesome!

Yeah if it is possible little sliders or even an image of pedal with knobs on the amp would be amazing.

However if you cannot do it exactly like that, meaning have a vertical 5 band EQ like on a Mesa Mark IV ect perhaps on the editing software it can. I use a Line 6 Helix for home play and almost NEVER use the actual unit to dial in tones or pedals. I use the HX Edit software where I can physically see pedals, amps, and the best is the dual speaker cabs and microphones.

So looking forward to new features. Great job Leo!

Thank you so much!

As for tube layout V1 is half used for CH1 and CH2, the other half for 3 and 4.

V2 and V3 are for the preamp and mostly shared by all channels, V4 is the return driver and V5 the PI.

I would usually not recommend a JJ in V1 as usually they sound a bit mushy and too low mid focused, but it really depends on taste and guitar used so please come back with some feedback on your use case!

Thank you Leo! The VHX Tube Layout helps a lot. I want to learn everything about this amp.
I definitely will let you know the results.
Sounds like V2 or V3 will be the test subjects.

Of course, I love the sound right now that I'm getting from my VHX,
so I might try it in my VH4 first, since it's sitting nearby waiting to get tagged back in for a moment ;)

I'm having so much fun dialing in the VHX's Voices/Shapes for all these songs/Presets!

Cheers!
i find the VHX Gain steps sometimes a lil too big, and since i mostly use the VH4 mode, i wouldn't sell the VH4 if i owned one, but that would be only for recording usage.

same here with the shapes. and voices.
shape 0 for rhythm is king and shape 2 sounds like a ugly buzzsaw in direct comparison.
The higher shapes can be nice for leads though.
all voices are usable to me, the fuller mids and not as deep bass? on vintage mode are best for a low gain crunch sound.
with the gain higher i like classic though, and for a more screechy sound the modern setting is also great.
Did not turn on my other amps in a long time...
A tube rectification option for a future version would be total tonal nirvana, just saying, if they are running out of ideas:p

ITT people wondering if they could improve their toan with a tube swap

I love Shape 2 actually. Shape 1 is my least used voice for sure. I suspect everyone's cab and guitar choices directly impact their opinion on the different voices.

My cab is more mid & bass heavy, I find that Red Channel, Vintage - Shape 2 lends a certain warmth to my lead tone. I'm also a big fan of Modern - Shape 2 for the same reason.

My favorite rhythm settings are Yellow, Vintage or Blue, Early - 0. That Early - 0 Blueface tone is fearsome.

In the same line of thought, interestingly enough I'm not specifically blown away by the Blue Channel as I assumed I would be from the VH4's reputation. Don't get me wrong the channel is amazing, but the way it's talked about on the VH4 is almost like the other channels are close to forgettable. Instead, I've found it to be incredibly well-balanced with high marks across the board, every channel sounds superb. I suspect this is because the VHX is really it's own amp, and not just a VH4 with more. I've never played a VH4, but I feel like this amp was designed by tearing apart a VH4 and then redoing it so it could be more than a VH4. This naturally lead to some design changes that makes the amp it's own thing.

Now all I need is a Wizard to finish out my tone.

Last edited:
Back