John5 first show with Crue..

If Vince couldn't sing in 1983, which we all know he couldn't, why would anyone expect him to be able to sing 40 years later?
I say this never being a fan...

As a fan of John 5, I watched quite a few clips.
Seems to me, on more than one song, the tempo seems to drag?

And I still think Mick was cooler.

Reactions: Geo
Nikkis mic had my crying I was laughing so hard in the OP video. Like a dangled carrot. :ROFLMAO:
I was directly in front of Nikki, fourth row when they did the tour opening for Aerosmith.
Mic problems from the onset and by second or third song, he went to Mick's mic and Mick moved over to Nikki's spot in front of me for the rest of their show.
Mick didn't move a muscle, but fucking sounded huge and ripped licks all night in front of me.
Was very happy Nikki went elsewhere...

Steven Tyler, off the wagon at that show, make up smeared all over his face.
Looked like a fucking clown...

The irony of Vince Neil singing 'kickstart my heart' while rolling his bloated beer belly across the stage is hilarious.

Or rather how he actually sings it - "Ma haaww.......BRINGAAH! Gigstaht ma hawwwww"

So many bands just need to hang it up; especially a band that's as wealthy and successul as Crue and don't need to do it for money. There's zero value in purchasing a not-at-all-cheap ticket and using up your time to see a band perform this poorly.

So many bands just need to hang it up; especially a band that's as wealthy and successul as Crue and don't need to do it for money. There's zero value in purchasing a not-at-all-cheap ticket and using up your time to see a band perform this poorly.
Or, grow as a musician and do something better.

Imagine, being a guitar player and spending 40 years playing smoke on the water, or some slight variation of it.

I saw Motley Crue open for Ozzy on the Bark At The Moon tour, that was the first concert I ever went to as a kid and seeing them - and Ozzy with Jake -blew my mind. For years Vince has been awful live and now without Mick there'd be no reason for me to want to see them, especially after seeing this latest footage.

I had the same experience in 1984, Jake was unbelievable, but in Toronto, Ratt opened up for Ozzy.

1659540931866.png

Some of that has to be on the drummer
This is more the issue than anything else. Tommy used to attack the drums and push the temp. Now it's just too clinical but that's because of the click. Which they have to use because of whatever backing tracks they're using.

If Vince couldn't sing in 1983, which we all know he couldn't, why would anyone expect him to be able to sing 40 years later?
I say this never being a fan...

As a fan of John 5, I watched quite a few clips.
Seems to me, on more than one song, the tempo seems to drag?

And I still think Mick was cooler.

Total drag. It's that click in Tommy's ear and John playing by the book. I know people love him but he's so damn vanilla he is right on the click and looks silly with his Tele at his chin. If ever there was anyone who didn't fit the bill..that's the guy. Looks like Beetle Juice with those stupid pants and prancing around with a guitar at his adam's apple. He is a scale rider. The leads he does are A. boring, B. don't fit the music. I really don't see the fit here and I guess yeah, I am officially slagging John5.

I also would like to add to the convo by saying that Tommy probably also doesn't care much anymore about driving the tempo. He shows up, follows the click and gets to the end of the show before they all go back to their own tour buses. John5 probably sleeps in a dodge caravan.

Total snooze fest from what I can see. It drags. Everyone is probably bored but timing and feel of a player is not to be ignored and Mick helped drive a lot of those tunes. The whole thing looks tired but at least for Vince, he's sounding " good". Tone is where it suffers. Going from Mick's rig to a JVM ....enough said.

Where do you see the JVM? Or is it 'His rig' he always uses?

Nikki has the easiest job using a pick playing 8th notes all night.

Where do you see the JVM? Or is it 'His rig' he always uses?

Nikki has the easiest job using a pick playing 8th notes all night.
He's always pretty much been Marshall. Right now he's using the JVM210. Frankly, I don't see how anyone could judge much "tonally" except the vocals from this particular recording. Now there are other vids starting to surface so we'll see.

Now personally the Tele under the chin look though, that really looks kinda goofy, not sure it's visually all that good of a fit. On the other hand I really don't care, not a diehard Crue fan.

Last edited:
Total drag. It's that click in Tommy's ear and John playing by the book. I know people love him but he's so damn vanilla he is right on the click and looks silly with his Tele at his chin. If ever there was anyone who didn't fit the bill..that's the guy. Looks like Beetle Juice with those stupid pants and prancing around with a guitar at his adam's apple. He is a scale rider. The leads he does are A. boring, B. don't fit the music. I really don't see the fit here and I guess yeah, I am officially slagging John5.
I've seen John 5 live twice, and hes good at what he does.
I also follow him on Instagram, but he plays the same licks over and over. Then see him live and it really is the same licks.
Of course he is better than me, but people aren't paying to see me.

However, I do still follow his KISS collecting on Instagram, KnightsInSatansService.
Thats interests me.

Tone sounds fine to me

That lil bullshit chromatic lick in the solo that John 5 plays on absolutely everything sucks though; wish he'd cut that shit out

Vince as usual is an absolute dumbfat

More vids... his tone sucks. His turkey head bopping looks so cheesy, I can't stand this nerd lol. The tele is growing on me though, but obviously needs to be worn somewhere in the vicinity of his waist to have any appeal. Before anybody gets on me about what I have done or can do. YES I think after 2 months reherseal, some cool clothes and a few hundred K I could do as good as this cheeseball. I will even wear striped pants. the band is completely done though. No life. Give it up.

Back