I don't get some of these Reverb sellers

VonBonfire

I offer, seller declines. I increase my offer, seller lets offer expire after 24 hours. I increase my offer again. Seller counter offers. I ask if we can meet half way via msg because we were less than a hundred apart. Seller says no and declines my second offer. So I say no prob, and make a new offer in the amount he had countered with. Seller lets my offer expire after 24 hours. All of a sudden his own counter offer wasn't good enough? What the?

All this was after he dropped the asking price during a couple days of negotiating after my initial offer. His one counter was $75 under his asking price, which was fine cause that is almost the exact amount similar items had been selling for. Kind of sucks cause it was a pretty tough to find item but after seeing how he operated I just didn't feel like dealing with him. It was a right place right time instrument but the wrong seller. Anyways, I bought something else tonight. Lucked upon a price drop that had just happened a minute ago and as I saw the offers pile up I just scooped it up for a pretty serious savings over other listings at his already discounted rate. And it's in Houston. Hopefully it works out. Meanwhile the item in question is still for sale. Maybe his girl is just telling he's gotta sell his stuff but he doesn't want to.

Reactions: rsm
A lot of reverb sellers don’t even seem to realize that offers are enabled on their listings and just ignore them. In my case if I have something listed and I’m at my minimum/firm price, I just turn offers off for the listing. Sounds like the guy is firm on the price and you’re wasting your time - let it ride for a month and try again maybe

Sounds like he had a minimum price in mind and got tired of you trying to haggle. Just like you didn't care for the way he operated and didn't want to deal with him anymore. Maybe the seller felt the same about you.
Its hard to be trusting on Reverb. Just like the sellers trying to pass off damaged items as brand new, there are as many buyers who will file a claim for damage because there was a fingerprint on the item.
You've created a thread complaining about a seller not wanting to negotiate a price with you. There are threads from sellers complaining about the opposite; buyers trying to lowball or negotiate an even lower price after countering the offer.

Sounds like he had a minimum price in mind and got tired of you trying to haggle. Just like you didn't care for the way he operated and didn't want to deal with him anymore. Maybe the seller felt the same about you.
Its hard to be trusting on Reverb. Just like the sellers trying to pass off damaged items as brand new, there are as many buyers who will file a claim for damage because there was a fingerprint on the item.
You've created a thread complaining about a seller not wanting to negotiate a price with you. There are threads from sellers complaining about the opposite; buyers trying to lowball or negotiate an even lower price after countering the offer.
This. I usually price my stuff at something that`s fair or what I think is fair as I do watch the market beforehand. My negotiation range is between 5-10% lower as my original price. If the guy starts low and keeps on lowballing me, I usually grow tired of it.
Additionally, I always think if someone is still negotiating on a tiny fraction of my counteroffer, you never know how finicky they will be after getting the item trying to find stuff to complain. This doesn`t have to be true at all, but that`s just what my gut is telling me.

Sounds like he had a minimum price in mind and got tired of you trying to haggle.
Item price 1455

I offer 1100

He declines and drops item price to 1400.

I offer 1200.

He let's it expire

I offer 1250

1325 is his counbter offer

I ask to meet in the middle. Answer: no

1250 declined

I make new offer of 1325 and he let's it expire

So I made four offers. I don't see that as excessive.

Only explanation is the seller is greedy and dimwitted. He looks dimwitted in his picture.

Its advantageous for a seller to get a lot of offers from you like this because every time you make an offer, all the people watching the item get an email that you made an offer and maybe someone just buys the item at full price so they don't miss out. The seller might get a better price by declining your offers and letting you make a new one rather than countering.

Item price 1455

I offer 1100

He declines and drops item price to 1400.

I offer 1200.

He let's it expire

I offer 1250

1325 is his counbter offer

I ask to meet in the middle. Answer: no

1250 declined

I make new offer of 1325 and he let's it expire

So I made four offers. I don't see that as excessive.

Only explanation is the seller is greedy and dimwitted. He looks dimwitted in his picture.
Seems he just has a threshold in what he’s willing to let it go for. What’s the item? What are they selling for on average? I know I have a bottom line on all the gear I sell.

I’ll usually tell people when they lowball me that “X is the lowest I’m willing to go.” If they don’t come back with that amount, I ignore anything else from them.

Seems he just has a threshold in what he’s willing to let it go for. What’s the item? What are they selling for on average? I know I have a bottom line on all the gear I sell.
He counter offered 1325 and I ultimately offered him that and he just let it expire. I guess he changed his mind and wanted his full asking price. It's a LP copy. I don't want to get into specifics on the exact instrument/seller but 1325-1350 is about the going rate for a similar instrument in cherry sunburst. This one is in a rare color but not a color most people would want so buyers are less interested in it. If it ain't heritage cherry it;s less sought after judging by the numbers. No big deal, I bought a different guitar last night. So maybe he missed the boat, maybe not.
Its advantageous for a seller to get a lot of offers from you like this because every time you make an offer, all the people watching the item get an email that you made an offer and maybe someone just buys the item at full price so they don't miss out. The seller might get a better price by declining your offers and letting you make a new one rather than countering.
Ha, that's funny because a different guitar I was watching had a price drop happen and I just happened to catch it at that moment. I put in an offer then after a few minutes there were multiple offers so I just bought it at the asking price. But the price was incredibly good compared to the other guitar in question.

sounds more to me like he stopped dealing with you for being greedy, not the other way around :dunno: he offered what you said was a totally fine price especially for a hard to find item but that wasnt good enough for you and you continued to haggle and the dude was like fuck this

sounds more to me like he stopped dealing with you for being greedy, not the other way around :dunno: he offered what you said was a totally fine price especially for a hard to find item but that wasnt good enough for you and you continued to haggle and the dude was like fuck this
I only haggled once after he set his counter offer. When he refused I offered him the price he asked. If he's that much of a snowlfake yeah I'll find another seller because if any other problems arise he wouldn't be the guy I want to deal with. If you don't want offers, don't list it with make offer as an option.

I only haggled once after he set his counter offer. When he refused I offered him the price he asked. If he's that much of a snowlfake yeah I'll find another seller because if any other problems arise he wouldn't be the guy I want to deal with. If you don't want offers, don't list it with make offer as an option.

once after he declined and ignored you the first three offers.. i dont think its being a snowflake not excepting less than going rate for a desirable hard to find item which is what you asked him to do.

Also, the seller probably had a gut feeling of, “this guy’s going to end up returning the item”.

I wouldn't stress over it too badly. After all, you got a comparable guitar at a better price right?

There are, however, a considerable contingent of folks here that firmly believe if you have the audacity to try to haggle or even ask about a "best price" then you should be blacklisted and ridiculed.. Doomed to wear the cone of shame for all eternity!

Whatever floats the boat I guess. :dunno:

Back