18 years ago today

Never heard a negative story about him aside from coming out of phil and rex, fuck those guys. He was down to earth and for real. You gotta respect that.

Yeah, if you ever want to read a bunch of bullshit, read Rex’ book. It was the only thing Vinnie agreed with Phil on after Dime was taken away; “I don’t know where he got that shit from, but more power to him” because it was such a farce they didn’t even care to comment any more than that on it. According to Rex, he basically single handed-ly created Pantera, made them famous, was responsible for all the good songs and did no wrong, aside from “I did my share of blow, I’m no angel” then dedicates the entire rest of the book to talking shit about basically everyone he was surrounded by during the Pantera years.

Yeah, if you ever want to read a bunch of bullshit, read Rex’ book. It was the only thing Vinnie agreed with Phil on after Dime was taken away; “I don’t know where he got that shit from, but more power to him” because it was such a farce they didn’t even care to comment any more than that on it. According to Rex, he basically single handed-ly created Pantera, made them famous, was responsible for all the good songs and did no wrong, aside from “I did my share of blow, I’m no angel” then dedicates the entire rest of the book to talking shit about basically everyone he was surrounded by during the Pantera years.
Ya, it was a very uncool book by Rex. I read it, then threw it in the trash. It was just him shit talking a bunch of his fellow musician's. Even Jerry Cantrell got bad mouthed in it.

I considered reading it but I wouldn't give that guy a dime. Plus it's all lies from what I understand. Fuck him.

I have a Pantera patch on the back of my hat. Today at the supermarket, a guy came up to me and said I love Pantera, I said to him do you realize tomorrow is the 19th anniversary of him being murdered? We both just looked at each other. Tears welled up in our eyes, fist bump, and went back to shopping. 💥

RIP

I know I talked smack about the current 'Pantera' tour but I broke down and bought tix to the KC show in Feb. I'm traveling there to it. I will have to get very drunk.

I am not a big metal guy but Dime was my easy favorite. The heaviest guitar with soul of all time. I think it is also good to remember the several others who died that day along with Dime while acting selflessly as heroes. I didn't see anyone mention it yet so:

Jeffrey Thompson, Damageplan security chief, 40

Nathan Bray, fan, 23

Erin Halk, Alrosa employee/Former USMC, 29

It is an act of love to pray for any deceased person, something to consider. RIP to these good men.

Never heard a negative story about him aside from coming out of phil and rex, fuck those guys. He was down to earth and for real. You gotta respect that.
Phil is Phil…some of the stuff he spewed at times was a bit much…probably when he was using…then I’ve seen him be just super down to earth…more former than latter….Rex….he’s the greatest thing since sliced bread according to him…at least that’s how he comes across to me anyway. RIP to both the Abbot brothers….

I am not a big metal guy but Dime was my easy favorite. The heaviest guitar with soul of all time. I think it is also good to remember the several others who died that day along with Dime while acting selflessly as heroes. I didn't see anyone mention it yet so:

Jeffrey Thompson, Damageplan security chief, 40

Nathan Bray, fan, 23

Erin Halk, Alrosa employee/Former USMC, 29

It is an act of love to pray for any deceased person, something to consider. RIP to these good men.
Excellent post brother…

The fallout from that was immeasurable after those guys were murdered ,The Alrosa is no more !! Fell to the ball for affordable Columbus housing .
Sad all around .

It's such a strange story and terrible/crazy way to go. The atmosphere in there must have been insane. For Vinnie to see his brother go like that and not be able to jump in. That must have haunted him. You could probably say he died that day as well ( or at least a large part of him did) I still find myself shocked by what transpired there almost 2 decades later. It was so unbelievable when the news first hit. RIP to both brothers.

The fallout from that was immeasurable after those guys were murdered ,The Alrosa is no more !! Fell to the ball for affordable Columbus housing .
Sad all around .

They always go on about spirits on sites that used to be prisons, or other.... imagine having that "stuck soul" in your now affordable housing kitchen lol. I bet that would be one hell of a spirit to have! Get'yer pull on bitch! Boil that spaghetti properly.

He was killed on site by officer Niggemeyer with a 12 gauge!

Unrelated, but that officer's name has made me chuckle for years... I bet he suffered some PTSD from having to use a shotgun close range on a dude's head but that name... try to read it without the extra " R" in your head. Just try!

I miss his tone so much . His wizard on top of the Randall RG was to damned good , idc I love the tone CFH and vulgar . No gets original tones like that now . But I’m open to suggestions of original tones .

I was fortunate to meet Dime at the 1994 NAMM Show Randall booth. Guy was such a class act and even thanked my buddy and I for stopping by to say hi. RIP Dime

The book A Vulgar Display Of Power does a good job of not only focusing on Dimebag, but Jeff Thompson, Erin Halk, and Nathan Bray which I thought was pretty cool as each of those men died as heroes and they all deserve to be known and remembered. What a tragedy. James Niggemeyer retired as an officer about three years after the shooting, it fucked him up pretty damn bad and he's another victim in all of this, too. The book is a pretty good read on the events that led-up to December 8th, 2004 and it is easy to find if anyone is itnerested in reading it:

51j3Wlc7iqL.jpg

I just threw my copy of Rex's book in the garbage. I've been meaning to do that for a while.

Back