3rd Power Citizen Gain CSR

I posted this over at The Gear Page but there's not a lot of love over there for high gain. Figured I'd see what you guys think.
As some may have seen I picked up a Mesa Triple Crown a few weeks ago from my buddies shop for a ridiculous deal. As soon as I got it home and played side by side with my Axe Fx II I got the itch for tubes again lol. This is something Ive been going back and forth on for years, Tubes-Axe FX-back to tubes-Kemper-back to tubes-Axe Fx and so on and so on.

As far as modeling has come it still doesn't put a smile on my face like a real amp. Ive been getting a little salty on my Axe Fx for a few weeks now and the big kick came when I jammed with my friends a few weeks ago. I had a lot of trouble with just using frfr and trying to get it to cut in the mix(other guys were using real amps) despite tweaking non stop. So, Ive been wanting to get back into a real amp, enter the ridiculous deal on the Mesa and bam! my damn gas meter(which Ive been able to kick back for a while now) goes into overdrive lol. I start thinking how I can use it for trade bait and get myself back into a Friedman Be100 or something along those lines(Im no stranger to boutique amps as well) As I live in an apartment I need something that has a decent master and someone recommends the 3rd Power. Ive heard of them before and had moderate gas a few years back when the Citizen Gain Sr first came out but I never got to play one and it faded out.

Finally yesterday I took the trip to Matts Music as they had just got in a CSR and man let me tell you, what a beast of an amp. The hybrid master is really strange in that the amp sounds almost exactly the same at low volume as it does at high volume, I never really heard that before and it was weird but super amazing. Previously the best amp I had was a Friedman Be100 which did sound amazing at low volume but the character of the tone did change a bit when pulling the volume down, I would need to compensate with an EQ change. I was sold on the 3rd Power almost instantly so I traded in the Triple Crown(for $250 more than I paid,score!) and used it as a deposit. Matts is also going to take in the Fractal on trade if I want but I figured I would sit on it a week and see what to do. Either way that beast will be coming home with me.

Heres a quick iPhone clip (used the front facing camera for some reason so its not HD) of my hack playing. I don't typically stand when playing and there was a few people in the store so I was nervous, the downfall of being a guitarist that just plays/records at a desk I guess. The volume in the clip is at a lower apartment level volume, you can actually hear the other guy across the store playing over the volume of me at points.The camera is about 3 feet from the cab and the cab being used is the Mesa 1x12 wide body with C90(which is also the cab Im going to be bringing home) Using my custom Anderson Angel.

Man I would LOVE to get a hold of one of these. I THINK there is a guy in town that has a couple 3rd Power amps for backline rental and though he mentioned he was getting one of the heads. I will have to follow up and maybe rent for a demo vid...

Sounds great and nice playing . Was that the 40 or 100 watt model ? The reason I asked is because there is a huge price difference between them .

Racerxrated":3h9ldixl said:
GC had one, or still does for around 1900. Been very tempted, they sound killer!
I just checked, they still have it but it's the Citizen Gain SR, a little different but still one of their high gain amps

harsh59":22xnnc1d said:
Sounds great and nice playing . Was that the 40 or 100 watt model ? The reason I asked is because there is a huge price difference between them .
This is the 40w version, a few people said the 100w has a little more gain on tap but I pm'd Jamie Scott and he got right back to me saying they're almost identical. It just sounded so killer in the room. Finally getting out of modeling, I think this time for good lol

lessthan12":2rt0d4ky said:
harsh59":2rt0d4ky said:
This is the 40w version, a few people said the 100w has a little more gain on tap but I pm'd Jamie Scott and he got right back to me saying they're almost identical. It just sounded so killer in the room. Finally getting out of modeling, I think this time for good lol
I do absolutely zero recording with modeling anymore. Loved my Kemper and still have a Helix LT which is great, but my amps with the Two Notes Torpedo Studio is yielding me the best results I have had recording or for late night silent rehearsal.

JerEvil":1g9kraik said:
lessthan12":1g9kraik said:
harsh59":1g9kraik said:
I do absolutely zero recording with modeling anymore. Loved my Kemper and still have a Helix LT which is great, but my amps with the Two Notes Torpedo Studio is yielding me the best results I have had recording or for late night silent rehearsal.
Yea dude, when I got the Mesa Triple Crown home a few weeks ago I was running the line out into the Axe Fx for IRs and even like that, running a real head was better. I WAS going to keep the Mesa (especially for the price I got it for) but then figured wtf, why not just get rid of both and get what I want. I'm going to be using a small 112 until the Universal Audio Ox comes out then I will use that for silent playing/recording

Sounded pretty good to me. I have a 3rd Power 3x12 cab, and it sounds amazing. I never tried any of their heads before but was always curious.

Tone Jones":2hdcejox said:
What didn't you like about the TC-50 that you found in the 3rd Power?
I just wasn't a big fan of the gain/crunch on the TC50. Side by Side the 3rd Power had a clarity and thickness/lowend that the Mesa just couldn't keep up with. The Mesa did sound good at low volume but the Hybrid master on the 3rd Power was way better, to me sounded the same at low volume as it did cranked.The TC50 definitely has more bells and whistles but imo,and obviously tone is subjective, The 3rd Power kicked the Mesa's ass.

fuzzyguitars":xkry0egn said:
that angel is spectacular
Thanks man, I will be buried with this one. I like so much I listed my other Angel up for sale with the intention of doing another custom order
fb7RHejh.jpg

Back