$426.50 for biasing new power tubes, replacing a preamp tube, and straightening out the transformer

ners

This feels...high, thoughts?

It's a Monomyth Skeleton Key that I brought in because I thought it needed new power tubes (fuzzy low end and not as bright as it used to be). I provided the power tubes (gave him 4 E34Ls out of my GZA Hellion to try, even though it's a 50w). I didn't know about the preamp tube or the bent transformer (never gigged or shipped outside initial deliver from Shae).

When I called up initially he quoted me $75 for the power tube biasing, can't imagine where the remaining $350 is coming from. Did he spend hours troubleshooting a bad preamp tube or something?

The guy I go to charges $75 for tube swap and bias. But he goes over every solder joint and cleans the pots…From there it’s $75 an hour. But he would never straighten a transformer unless I asked. Waist of time. I’d find a new tech. Or buy a bias prob and learn to do it yourself.

It's a Monomyth Skeleton Key that I brought in because I thought it needed new power tubes (fuzzy low end and not as bright as it used to be). I provided the power tubes (gave him 4 E34Ls out of my GZA Hellion to try, even though it's a 50w). I didn't know about the preamp tube or the bent transformer (never gigged or shipped outside initial deliver from Shae).

When I called up initially he quoted me $75 for the power tube biasing, can't imagine where the remaining $350 is coming from. Did he spend hours troubleshooting a bad preamp tube or
Jesus man .....ask him what his bench fee is ?? Woops ... just saw it's 75 ...

Yeah I contemplated doing it myself (first time), but I've got a busy winter so was willing to pay $75 for the convenience (less bench time more shred time).

Kinda regretting that now, so next set of tubes will definitely be all me.

I mean shit ....other than letting the amp idle for 30 minutes or so ... it takes 10 minutes ... cleaning the pots ... another
10 .... changing a pre amp tube about 10 seconds ...
Add 20 minutes of looking the amp over / inspection .....
I can see charging for the whole hour .....

But the rest ??? Did he have to replace the transformer?? Or just bend it back ??

Haven't picked it up yet (out of town) and only going off his voicemail, but I'm thinking the same thing. Like bias fee plus at max an hour for everything else.

Gonna be a fun conversation next week when I can grab it.

When I called up initially he quoted me $75 for the power tube biasing, can't imagine where the remaining $350 is coming from. Did he spend hours troubleshooting a bad preamp tube or something?
Even if his hourly rate was $100/HR did it take him 4 hours to do those three things? Maybe he has some time into using a scope to track down some of your issues but still......4 hours?????? I imagine he retubed it and solved your fuzzy /lack of brightness issues and now he is just making extra money on your job, kinda unethical. I doubt he spent 3-4 hours on it, unless he can walk you through what took so much time.

He should have called you for approval on anything over what was discussed when you dropped it off. His shop must be slow and he figured he would stick it to you because you probably won't give him a return visit after this....

Have you used this guy before for work?

Even if his hourly rate was $100/HR did it take him 4 hours to do those three things? Maybe he has some time into using a scope to track down some of your issues but still......4 hours?????? I imagine he retubed it and solved your fuzzy /lack of brightness issues and now he is just making extra money on your job, kinda unethical. I doubt he spent 3-4 hours on it, unless he can walk you through what took so much time.

He should have called you for approval on anything over what was discussed when you dropped it off. His shop must be slow and he figured he would stick it to you because you probably won't give him a return visit after this....

Have you used this guy before for work?
That's the thing, I have used him before but just not regularly.

Did some amp work for me like 15 years ago and it died (again) shortly after, but I attributed that to the manufacturing issue it become known for (Marshall DSL401 overheated).

The other guy at the shop has also done some guitar work for me recently, no issues on labor time but questionable decisions (struggled with fitting a new cap under my tele plate and there's a slight gap with the plate on the body now).

Probably the last straw for me at this point. I've been on the verge of doing my own pedal and guitar builds (lacking time, first kid, etc) but this might just be the push I need.

GOld Lion KT88's are going for $100 a piece. My amp takes 4..
Hahah I know, but I provided the tubes! And the price on new EL34s we're only $5 over online prices anyway so not the area they're ripping anyone off anyway.

Even the preamp tube is only going to be like $30.

i wonder if he removed the transformer to bend it back straight? I don't know of that's even a thing, i'm just trying to think of what would take that many man hours
oh yeah that's a thing. Super important too.

Because I'm a nice guy I'm offering this deal to forumites. Send me your amps and I'll bend your transformer for $300. Screw getting ripped off by other tranny benders.

Sometimes you have to remove or loosen the bolts on the transformer to bend it straight, especially if it has mounts. If its under the board its a pain in the ass because you have to lift the board on some amps to get at the bolts. That does sound high if he didn't replace your tubes.

This sounds more like an auto mechanic that tells you one thing, then you go get the car and the bill is 3x what he quoted. I'd ask for a refund, and if not do a charge back on your card for fraud. There is no fucking way that should have cost you nearly 500. Good God almighty. You'd think at the very least he would have called and told you WHY IN THE RIGHTEOUS FUCK the bill was going to be that high; and given you the option of NOT doing the shit that he supposedly did do jack that bill so much.

oh yeah that's a thing. Super important too.

Because I'm a nice guy I'm offering this deal to forumites. Send me your amps and I'll bend your transformer for $300. Screw getting ripped off by other tranny benders.
You'd think he could simply loosen the bolts, take a needle nose pliers and bend them back...even if as Gary said he had to loosen the bolts to the board, I can't imagine it would take that damn long to bend them back.

Back