$426.50 for biasing new power tubes, replacing a preamp tube, and straightening out the transformer

Probably worth talking to the guy / getting the full story before reaching for the pitchforks.
Turns out he misplaced the power tubes I gave him and then misread the work order thinking I wanted an extra set. Final cost came out to $213...so he still charged for straightening the transformer (~1hr) even after I told him it was cosmetic and I didn't need it. Will take his word the preamp tube needed replacing, small cost and I feel like I've heard questionable things about JJs failing lately.

New problem though, amp doesn't sound right at all. Because of the tube mix up he wound up swapping in and biasing in front of me in about 5 mins. I have no idea what he set the bias to but there was no testing on how it sounds (low gain, little high end, tons of bass). So might be bringing it back anyway and maybe just buy fresh tubes instead of the leftovers I had from another amp.

Turns out he misplaced the power tubes I gave him and then misread the work order thinking I wanted an extra set. Final cost came out to $213...so he still charged for straightening the transformer (~1hr) even after I told him it was cosmetic and I didn't need it. Will take his word the preamp tube needed replacing, small cost and I feel like I've heard questionable things about JJs failing lately.

New problem though, amp doesn't sound right at all. Because of the tube mix up he wound up swapping in and biasing in front of me in about 5 mins. I have no idea what he set the bias to but there was no testing on how it sounds (low gain, little high end, tons of bass). So might be bringing it back anyway and maybe just buy fresh tubes instead of the leftovers I had from another amp.
Shit.. who is this in NJ?

Man I would cut my losses and find a better tech. Hopefully the bias just needs to be corrected.

Shit.. who is this in NJ?
Dave's Sound Repair. Seemed like an honest mistake then just rushed to fix it, as long as he corrects it when I go back I won't be too fussed. Also pending my next repair I may be too lazy to drive further.

Last edited:
Fuck that guy. Don't pay for shit you didn't ask for not to mention him losing your Tubes..
Now you need Tubes. The job should be free..

It's a Skeleton Key right? I'd message Shea and see if he can walk you through some things before bringing it back to that dude.

Yeah I did, posted further up the thread.

TLDR is he misplaced provided parts then misread the work order so doubled parts pricing that I didn't need. Also did some cosmetic work I didn't ask for.
Seems like he should compensate you somehow. On the other hand, might be best to cut and run...

i've heard Dave's Sound Repair is sketchy
you are not the first guy to have issues

i've heard Dave's Sound Repair is sketchy
you are not the first guy to have issues
yep, why I'm taking my time to find an amp tech here. also why I don't mess with vintage gear since I don't do it myself, poking around the internals of an old 180W tube amp not knowing what I'm doing isn't a great idea IMO. Also not finding info on what the bias should be, this thing still has the original Fender 6L6GC USA power tubes, I haven't pulled the preamp and EQ tubes yet, but I'd guess they're original too.

I recommend getting a bias probe and some De-oxit. I just saved myself a tech visit on my Stiletto by spraying the sockets. Before I got the De-oxit (had ordered online), I tried swapping all tubes with no success so thought I'd have to take it in.

Back