5881s in 20th Anniversary XTC?

peckhart

Would it be safe to run 5881s in a 6L6 basesd 20th XTC?

And would it arguably mix in some EL34 vibe in the mids? My understanding of the 5881s is that they have some EL34 characteristics, but are in the 6L6 family.

peckhart":1qc8ms65 said:

And would it arguably mix in some EL34 vibe in the mids? My understanding of the 5881s is that they have some EL34 characteristics, but are in the 6L6 family.

My understanding was that 5881's were just military-spec 6L6's, so not sure what you would gain there. I like 6L6 the best in there and have tried EL34's and the Gold Lion KT77's.

Ventura":1y5nyoxi said:
peckhart":1y5nyoxi said:
Ventura":1y5nyoxi said:

Yeah I originally posted about the 5881s when I thought I was getting a 6L6 version.

Definitely interested in checking out the KT77s.
Did you get the 6L6 version or the EL34 version :dunno:

Inquiring minds want to know...
Mo

Sorry I missed this when you posted. I ended up with an EL34 version. I went back and forth on which one I wanted to try. I have been hooked on EL34 amps for a while now and despite that I was kind of leaning towards the 6L6 version for the 20th Ann XTC. When I found one for what I thought was a good price I pulled the trigger on it and had been told it was 6L6. Got it and found out it was actually an EL34 version and the seller was surprised. Said he had a local cat ready to buy it if it was 6L6 and turned the guy away and ended up taking less on the sale to ship it to me so I am certain it was an honest misunderstanding.
I like the amp, but do find myself wanting it to be a little more aggressive than it is. It works great for the one band I am in right now that covers a ton of different music genres. I am walking away from that band at the end of the summer though and will have to decide if I want to keep this amp or try something else thats a bit more angry for the hard rock band I will be staying in. This thing is fun to play though!

se7en":mz6vcyn5 said:
peckhart":mz6vcyn5 said:

My understanding was that 5881's were just military-spec 6L6's, so not sure what you would gain there. I like 6L6 the best in there and have tried EL34's and the Gold Lion KT77's.

I thought the 5881s produced somewhat of a blend of 6L6 and EL34 characteristics. EL34 mid range with the lows and highs of 6L6. I could be wrong. I liked 5881s the best in the MOD50 I had and that was comparing to 6L6 and EL34. Maybe in that amp they were just better at handling all the different preamp types coming at em.

Back