6505 vs 6505+ RHYTHM channel

jkkkjkhk

Ok so this isn't the normal 6505 vs 6505+ thread. I'm really liking the tone I get from my 6505+ but I've noticed I strongly prefer using the rhythm channel with gain at about 9 instead of the lead with gain at 5-ish. Much thicker, darker, and less fizzy. Also there's this awful midrangey, nasally sound from the lead channel that I can't stand, and the rhythm channel doesn't have it. Maybe it's tubes, maybe it's my cab, my pickups... who knows. But I've been curious about how different the rhythm channel is on the 6505+ vs the 6505. I know it was designed to be cleaner but with the crunch button in does it bring it back to pre + tone or is it still different? I've heard comparisons of a 6505 vs 6505+ and a 6505+ stock vs a 6505+ modded to 6505 specs and I prefer the 6505. I like having individual EQ's and I don't really want to get a new amp so I'm curious if it can be modded to 6505 specs.

I've also noticed bands like Machine Head use the rhythm channel for rhythms and the lead channel for cleans. The lead channel is brighter and thinner so with low volumes it can sort of attempt a sparkling clean. Definitely not twin reverb or JC120 cleans but it tries. So for now I could care less about the lead channel. Whether I'd want it modded for less gain and use it for cleans, or leave it stock for anytime I feel like using it. Either way I prefer the rhythm channel and want to know how different it sounds from a 6505 rhythm channel.

Thanks in advance for any help. :rock:

jkkkjkhk":2n5j061r said:
Ok so this isn't the normal 6505 vs 6505+ thread. I'm really liking the tone I get from my 6505+ but I've noticed I strongly prefer using the rhythm channel with gain at about 9 instead of the lead with gain at 5-ish. Much thicker, darker, and less fizzy. Also there's this awful midrangey, nasally sound from the lead channel that I can't stand, and the rhythm channel doesn't have it. Maybe it's tubes, maybe it's my cab, my pickups... who knows. But I've been curious about how different the rhythm channel is on the 6505+ vs the 6505. I know it was designed to be cleaner but with the crunch button in does it bring it back to pre + tone or is it still different? I've heard comparisons of a 6505 vs 6505+ and a 6505+ stock vs a 6505+ modded to 6505 specs and I prefer the 6505. I like having individual EQ's and I don't really want to get a new amp so I'm curious if it can be modded to 6505 specs.

I've also noticed bands like Machine Head use the rhythm channel for rhythms and the lead channel for cleans. The lead channel is brighter and thinner so with low volumes it can sort of attempt a sparkling clean. Definitely not twin reverb or JC120 cleans but it tries. So for now I could care less about the lead channel. Whether I'd want it modded for less gain and use it for cleans, or leave it stock for anytime I feel like using it. Either way I prefer the rhythm channel and want to know how different it sounds from a 6505 rhythm channel.

Thanks in advance for any help. :rock:

didnt read all this ....

but...

RYTHEM CHANNEL ONLY HERE

:LOL: :LOL:

:thumbsup:

and wait a second....

jkkkjkhk":2n5j061r said:
strongly prefer using the rhythm channel with gain at about 9 instead of the lead with gain at 5-ish.

:shocked:

JerryP":2km4p7qc said:
Rhythm channel is totally different on the 5150II/6505+ amps.
Jerry

what it totally different bout it ?

i didnt know that.

i use 5150 Block letter

JerryP":3016nstp said:
Jerry

What's totally different about it? I don't have a 5150/6505 to compare to, otherwise I'd just find out myself.

Halford: what was the shocked look for? That I have gain around 9? I'm also playing at levels around 0.2 or so, so no tube saturation. I'm sure if I cranked it a bit then I'd drop the gain quite a bit.

jkkkjkhk":2c3p9o0b said:
JerryP":2c3p9o0b said:
Jerry

What's totally different about it? I don't have a 5150/6505 to compare to, otherwise I'd just find out myself.

Halford: what was the shocked look for? That I have gain around 9? I'm also playing at levels around 0.2 or so, so no tube saturation. I'm sure if I cranked it a bit then I'd drop the gain quite a bit.

hey man

haha shocked look for, yeah, gain at 9.,,.,.. but you didnt mention you playing at 0.2...or did you? i didnt read it all :LOL: :LOL:

no problem. its all good. Great amp :thumbsup:

halford":1wr5iwl9 said:
jkkkjkhk":1wr5iwl9 said:
JerryP":1wr5iwl9 said:
Jerry

hey man

haha shocked look for, yeah, gain at 9.,,.,.. but you didnt mention you playing at 0.2...or did you? i didnt read it all :LOL: :LOL:

no problem. its all good. Great amp :thumbsup:

At least on my amp at my volume setting 9 on crunch is a bit lower than 4.5 on lead. I may be trading my 6505+ for a block letter 5150 too.

But does anyone care to shed a little light on how different they are? I'm getting answers like "totally different", a little vague? ;) If I trade my amp then I'll get to hear the difference but it'd still be nice for other people wondering to get some idea.

I can't compare to the original 6505, but the 6505+ difference between lead/rhythm can be described in the exact same way, if it's worth anything. I'm not huge on the 5150/6505 in general, but the rhythm channel is where it's at for gain IMO. I have the same "nasal midrange" experience switching to the lead channel on my 6505+.
Also, 9 on the crunch isn't that high, it's comparable to around 4 or 5 on the lead at bedroom volume. Past 6 or 7 it mostly just gets rounder anyway. As with any amp, as you turn the volume up you turn the gain down.

Attercop":2v1t3kgj said:
I can't compare to the original 6505, but the 6505+ difference between lead/rhythm can be described in the exact same way, if it's worth anything. I'm not huge on the 5150/6505 in general, but the rhythm channel is where it's at for gain IMO. I have the same "nasal midrange" experience switching to the lead channel on my 6505+.
Also, 9 on the crunch isn't that high, it's comparable to around 4 or 5 on the lead at bedroom volume. Past 6 or 7 it mostly just gets rounder anyway. As with any amp, as you turn the volume up you turn the gain down.

post9ing to saying i thought it was 9 on lead

didnt see him say "crunch"

:LOL: :LOL:

halford":3onvutju said:
JerryP":3onvutju said:
Jerry

i didnt know that.

i use 5150 Block letter

On the 5150/6560 the rhythm (clean/crunch) and lead all go thru 6 gain stages. On the 5150II/6505+ the rhythm (clean/crunch) goes thru 3 gain stages and the lead goes thru 6 stages.
Jerry

JerryP":2nimyz0s said:
halford":2nimyz0s said:
JerryP":2nimyz0s said:
Jerry

i didnt know that.

i use 5150 Block letter

On the 5150/6560 the rhythm (clean/crunch) and lead all go thru 6 gain stages. On the 5150II/6505+ the rhythm (clean/crunch) goes thru 3 gain stages and the lead goes thru 6 stages.
Jerry

Thanks, so that makes more sense. The buzziness of the lead channel, is that partially due to it being 6 stages or is it totally just the character of the channel? Does the 5150/6505 rhythm have some of the buzziness too, cause the II/+ sure doesn't.

JerryP":jrd97ogk said:
Jerry

cool info :thumbsup:

jkkkjkhk":1k11uxcr said:
I've heard comparisons of a 6505 vs 6505+ and a 6505+ stock vs a 6505+ modded to 6505 specs and I prefer the 6505. I like having individual EQ's and I don't really want to get a new amp so I'm curious if it can be modded to 6505 specs.
IMO if you like the 6505, you would probably do better with a 6505. You could mod your amp, but it would either take quite a bit of work to do yourself - depending on how comfortable you are - or could cost quite a bit for someone else to do.

Back