75 watters suck! Or do they?

Superrrrr killer with certain amps! Especially the old ones. Absolutely killer. And actually amazing with the driftwood purple nightmare as well.

Absolutely, man. The older ones have a really interesting vibe going on. My vented 75s are like a slightly more scooped, higher wattage blackback? Some greenback flavors? They have a thing. A really cool thing.

I think they're going to eventually make a comeback in popularity.

They are nice; and the vented are my favorites but the early ones without the vents, same white stickers are also very good if a bit more scooped than the vented version. Any JCM 800 cab with them are a good find IMO.
Only risk with buying an old 800 cab if you can't see the speakers is the chance that they might have the dreaded M70s.

I have really been playing my original '84 800 cab a lot lately since I got the 2203 and did the JEL mod to my SuperBass. Both amps love that cab.
Only risk with buying an old 800 cab if you can't see the speakers is the chance that they might have the dreaded M70s.
Had that happen on a GC used cab. Luckily I had it delivered to local GC and checked it there. Never even took it home.

Absolutely, man. The older ones have a really interesting vibe going on. My vented 75s are like a slightly more scooped, higher wattage blackback? Some greenback flavors? They have a thing. A really cool thing.

I think they're going to eventually make a comeback in popularity.

I have a quad of these as well. I did research a while ago and read that those are basically g12-65's with a higher rated voice coil.

I have always liked my old G12T-75's more than my blackbacks. And strangely I even prefer the ones I have from 1986 over the one from 1984. These two '86 cabs are my favorite Marshall cabs and I have had cabs with greenbacks, blackbacks, V30's and 9 cabs with 75's from different eras.

I have always liked my old G12T-75's more than my blackbacks. And strangely I even prefer the ones I have from 1986 over the one from 1984. These two '86 cabs are my favorite Marshall cabs and I have had cabs with greenbacks, blackbacks, V30's and 9 cabs with 75's from different eras.

Speakers really are a lottery. I’ve just come to that conclusion. I’ve recently gone through 12 different Marshall vintage speakers from 92-94, and they all sound vastly different. My ones from 92 are surprisingly dark, while the 94’s are incredibly gnarly in the midrange ge and my favorite I’ve ever used by far. It’s kind of fun swapping out speakers of the same type and different years because it’s always a surprise, but it can be a headache as well.

Like everything else it all depends on the rig. Guitar, amp , effects, fingers 2x12, 4x12 whole 9 yards and then run it through a P/a and it sounds different . Most people think they suck but they also don't realize at most shows with Marshall 4x12's that's the speaker you are listening to.

Speakers really are a lottery. I’ve just come to that conclusion. I’ve recently gone through 12 different Marshall vintage speakers from 92-94, and they all sound vastly different. My ones from 92 are surprisingly dark, while the 94’s are incredibly gnarly in the midrange ge and my favorite I’ve ever used by far. It’s kind of fun swapping out speakers of the same type and different years because it’s always a surprise, but it can be a headache as well.
I totally agree with this statement from my experience, and it is not exclusive to Celestion. There's good ones, and there's bad sounding speakers that have the exact same specifications. Just is.

Sounds like a 75....still not a fan of that voicing.

I see why many don’t like them for sure. For what I like it wouldn’t be my “all of the time signature sound” if I was tracking or playing live, but for me it is nice to get away from the super polished stereo typical “modern” type tones that are out these days. It just sounds nostalgic to me hearing them, especially for old schools thrash ala exodus type tones or old school death metal tones.

Yep. Same cab, made the same year, same speakers and usage, but different tones. Not way different but just like any two 2203s can vary.

Back