75 watters suck! Or do they?

I have always liked my old G12T-75's more than my blackbacks. And strangely I even prefer the ones I have from 1986 over the one from 1984. These two '86 cabs are my favorite Marshall cabs and I have had cabs with greenbacks, blackbacks, V30's and 9 cabs with 75's from different eras.
BBs are great when pushed but my experience is they are kinda flat until then. 65s have that as well; but I still like them at lower volumes better than BBs.
Until I grabbed a 72 cab with Pulsonics the RIC cones from 74(Creambacks) were my fav GB. Newer 90s 6402 cones sound almost identical to the 74s

Speakers really are a lottery. I’ve just come to that conclusion. I’ve recently gone through 12 different Marshall vintage speakers from 92-94, and they all sound vastly different. My ones from 92 are surprisingly dark, while the 94’s are incredibly gnarly in the midrange ge and my favorite I’ve ever used by far. It’s kind of fun swapping out speakers of the same type and different years because it’s always a surprise, but it can be a headache as well.
Glad you are one of the few that realize that! I hate to think how many people --me include in years past -- swapped out and traded amps when the speakers were really the solution !! LOL!!

Glad you are one of the few that realize that! I hate to think how many people --me include in years past -- swapped out and traded amps when the speakers were really the solution !! LOL!!

absolutely, lord knows I never realized this for the longest time. But this is what I do now everytime I get new speakers/cabs : 57 dead center on the speaker , reamp a stereo track , and go to the next speaker with the same mic etc. I’ll do this with all 4 speakers, and then mark which ones I like best with painters tape, so I don’t forget. I think for those that are new to amps or being gear heads it’s probably a good idea to post clips of a few of my cabs and each of their speakers just to show people how incredibly drastic it can be. And it really is. I love my new EVH cab, but under a mic , I really only love one speaker in it , surprisingly.

I see why many don’t like them for sure. For what I like it wouldn’t be my “all of the time signature sound” if I was tracking or playing live, but for me it is nice to get away from the super polished stereo typical “modern” type tones that are out these days. It just sounds nostalgic to me hearing them, especially for old schools thrash ala exodus type tones or old school death metal tones.
They always have that playing the guitar with a screwdriver sound to me.

I normally use the singer’s TSL and cabs at practice, they have 75’s in them. Sometimes I bring an amp. Can dial in something passable, but that screwdriver tone is always there. Haha.

Although the the valvestate head they aren’t that terrible.

The early ones are great IMO. I have an oversized diagonal 2x12 cab with two white back T75’s in it. I don’t know if they’re the absolute earliest iteration (IIRC the first ones had vents on the back like g12-65s?) but they’re close. Whether due to the difference in how they were made or their age or both they sound great and really don’t have the piercing and out of control treble sound that I’ve experienced from newer Marshall cabs.

However what everyone is saying about individual speakers is very true and those 2 speakers sound VERY different from one another. Recorded the same way through with a 57, one is darker - it is in fact almost dark sounding in general, which you would not expect from T75’s - and has this inherent low mid growl. The other is brighter and actually has more upper mids that come through.

The v30’s in my Mesa OS cab have some variation too, although 3 of them sound very close and one in particular is darker and grindier.

I bought an old 30th Anniversary 6960 w/ 4 Man o Wars and hated them, found a quad of old white label G12T75s and now the cab sounds awesome. I first got hip to them when we pulled the back off one of my fav cabs at the practice space. I always loved that cab and thought there were GBs or 65s in there.

absolutely, lord knows I never realized this for the longest time. But this is what I do now everytime I get new speakers/cabs : 57 dead center on the speaker , reamp a stereo track , and go to the next speaker with the same mic etc. I’ll do this with all 4 speakers, and then mark which ones I like best with painters tape, so I don’t forget. I think for those that are new to amps or being gear heads it’s probably a good idea to post clips of a few of my cabs and each of their speakers just to show people how incredibly drastic it can be. And it really is. I love my new EVH cab, but under a mic , I really only love one speaker in it , surprisingly.
I’d be really interested to hear a clip like that. Cool idea

Back