Ace Frehley on Noisey....

Could you imagine jamming with Ace like Matt did here?! How badass. Sometimes, I dig these more that Rig Rundowns...

I'm sure this is going to be an unpopular opinion, but Ace sounds like absolute shit to me, just horrible. I liked the stage show, outfits and songs too, but why this guy is looked up to as some kind of guitar god when he can barely play (especially in this video) is beyond me...

Steve

sah5150":3klviueq said:
I'm sure this is going to be an unpopular opinion, but Ace sounds like absolute shit to me, just horrible. I liked the stage show, outfits and songs too, but why this guy is looked up to as some kind of guitar god when he can barely play (especially in this video) is beyond me...

Steve

Couldn't agree more.

He was never any good & is even worse now.

Stock licks, poor chops etc

Going to see Ace Frehley next week with Simo opening up for him, never seen Kiss but always liked Ace's style so looking forward to seeing him play some classic Kiss tunes.

Doughboy":3p5pzan5 said:
sah5150":3p5pzan5 said:

Steve

Couldn't agree more.

Was never my cup of tea either....sure he's sloppy...but he is Ace Fucking Frehley...inspired a generation...responsable for millions of kids to pick up the guitar...influenced probably more people dare I say it than Van Halen...

Give the guy some respect...if you have nothing nice to say dont say anything at all :thumbsup:

War Admiral":saglmvbk said:
Doughboy":saglmvbk said:
sah5150":saglmvbk said:

Steve

Couldn't agree more.

Was never my cup of tea either....sure he's sloppy...but he is Ace Fucking Frehley...inspired a generation...responsable for millions of kids to pick up the guitar...influenced probably more people dare I say it than Van Halen...

Give the guy some respect...if you have nothing nice to say dont say anything at all :thumbsup:

I agree that he inspired millions of kids, but that's more because of the band he was in & not his playing.

Just like Kirk Hammett. Kirk isn't very good & no one would care if he was the same player & still in Exodus as opposed to Metallica.

Ace got lucky, just like Kirk.

War Admiral":2apxs8i2 said:
Doughboy":2apxs8i2 said:
sah5150":2apxs8i2 said:

Steve

Couldn't agree more.

Not a fan of his playing, but he is an icon and certainly was an inspiration. I cringe a bit when watching him play, but not as much as during Angus' live unaccompanied solo. I recommend his book!

Ok so maybe he is an average player, pretty sloppy (the guy is 60+ years old, so ..) but he came up with some iconic licks. I saw him a few months ago and he is pretty sharp live. He has played on big stages for massive crowds for years, bigger than any of us will and and to be able to do that takes something other than fleet fingers and impressive technique. It takes a set of balls, and not a lot of people can be a megastar and walk the walk for as long as he (they) did.

Rezamatix":25aed7mf said:
all the Hammett haters couldn't play a single fucking solo he did off of any of the first 3 metallica albums.

gtfoh with that bullshit.

You assume too much. ;)

Love early Metallica. Hammett seems like a cool cat, but I'm not a fan of his playing at all. I feel exactly the same way about him as you do about Ace, who I'm a huge fan of BTW. :LOL: :LOL:

Man I don't care how NOT technically proficient Ace is, he and Iommi were what brought me to rock and roll in 2nd grade. Alive! and Hotter Than Hell showed me the way.

I think Jimmy Page sucks so what do I know! LOL!

Ace was my first guitar hero and the coolest rocker that ever walked the earth. Yes he is no Steve Vai, but he is rock'n roll :)

luther910":fh7oug82 said:
Ace was my first guitar hero and the coolest rocker that ever walked the earth. Yes he is no Steve Vai, but he is rock'n roll :)

Very true. Ace is much more Rock n' Roll than Vai.

In the same way Johnny Thunders is more Rock n' Roll than Satriani.

JerEvil":ts9cztjn said:
Man I don't care how NOT technically proficient Ace is, he and Iommi were what brought me to rock and roll in 2nd grade. Alive! and Hotter Than Hell showed me the way.

I think Jimmy Page sucks so what do I know! LOL!

Yes, I think Ace's guitar demographic was mostly 2nd graders ;)

Mailman1971":29x6t3uu said:
I like all the guitarists mentioned here.
Ace is one of my guitar heros and I am definitely not in the 2nd grade. :LOL: :LOL:
LOL! Me either! Far from it.

War Admiral":10fbsrbl said:
Doughboy":10fbsrbl said:
sah5150":10fbsrbl said:

Steve

Couldn't agree more.

I understand he's influential, but he's influential because he was part of a band that is iconic for it's stage show, costumes and some cool songs. I have respect for the band as a whole for their marketing approach and I understand why guitar players were influenced when they were young.

What I don't understand is making him a guitar god, when he's a lousy player and you are old enough to know better. I don't respect him as a player, although I do respect his part in the overall fun, Kiss circus...

As far as "if you have nothing nice to say dont say anything at all", this is a music/gear discussion forum where the whole point is to give your OPINIONS...

Steve

Back