Ace Frehley on Noisey....

skoora":zuge5ajd said:
Ace was not fortunate or lucky that he got into Kiss. Kiss was lucky that they found Ace.
And my opinion is that any lousy '70s Long Island bar band guitarist with the same makeup and smoke pouring guitar would have done just as well as long as Gene and Paul were running the show...

Steve

4406cuda":1pyh0xa7 said:
Rezamatix":1pyh0xa7 said:
skoora":1pyh0xa7 said:
All I know is I have always liked Ace's playing and tone. Plus he has a great hard rock mentality in the newer stuff he writes that is sorely lacking in most bands a 1/3rd his age. Long Live the Spaceman!!!

I also agree that Hammett on the first 3 is fucking awesome and what became of him afterwards should be featured on the iD channel like a cold case murder mystery!! Love the flow he gets on some of the extended solo's on Kill 'Em All. Plus one of the greatest aggressive tones on solo's ever.

I guarantee if most of the haters tried to play a solo over a Kiss backing track they would never come up with something more memorable or as fitting. Ace was not fortunate or lucky that he got into Kiss. Kiss was lucky that they found Ace.

this is an interesting point. is it memorable just because of the time and repetition. A lot of people say its memorable, but why?
I mean if he had played something completely different and it was just as popular and so many people listened over and over during the years...would it still have anything to do with HIS choices in the moment, or just because the music got played a lot.

I mean, i have heard outtakes of zeppelin that are not like the album, could those takes been JUST AS MEMORABLE? if they were in fact used...??

i mean...what is REALLY memorable?
(and why?)
Eruption??

Are you trolling or do really not understand???

I will assume you don't get it, because of your recent posts on Cliff Johnson, TNT, and now Ace.

Phrasing that has a strong melodic theme or has a hook will resonate more with a listener and has a better chance of becoming "memorable".

A lot of successful musicians are talented at writing hooks and writing a solo that is melodic and catchy. Ace was mentioning in his interview he would incorporate themes or licks that he would return to in his solos.

TNT, Def Leppard, Winger, Journey, Poison, and other bands that went the "commercial" route knew they would attract more ladies and bigger audiences. Even Van Halen and Crue wanted a "Piece of The Action"

I play in a successful cover band and I understand as a musician it is usually a better choice to play what is right for the song and what people like to hear. When the girls are dancing, guys are buying drinks, the place is packed, it is a good thing.

I prefer playing Priest, UFO, Sabbath, Rush, Zep, AIC, STP, etc. Girls want to hear fun songs they can dance to. Clubs want people buying drinks. Sure, I can impress people playing Schenker note for note, but not too many ladies are going out Saturday nights want to hear that. My band gets gigs because we play songs that the people in the club want to hear.
Not sure what this has to do with Ace being a sucky guitar player. Not everyone here is saying someone has to be a shredder or Schenker to be "good". Like I said, I love Mick Taylor's playing with the Stones and I think he plays for the song and the time those songs were recorded. But Mick had a certain level of ability and was not a sloppy, noisy mess like Ace. Personally I'm not arguing that Ace didn't play "for the songs", I'm arguing that he is not worthy of being discussed as a "guitar god" and worshipped for his playing simply because the band had a few memorable songs and great commercial success because of smart marketing and a fun stage show.

Steve

gtrwun":38d2alsq said:
Actually, I have to admit, some of that wasn't bad at all - some cool parts actually. OK, I was wrong... :D :rock:

The times I heard him play ('76 in NY and more recently on the first reunion tour) he was mindblowingly horrible... as he was in the OPs video... :confused:

Steve

I can only hope that people don´t judge Ace solely from his performance in this video, but rather from his body of work. I´ve seen worse from him, but also much better. His rock´n roll feel comes across though. He is very relaxed, knowing he is not gonna impress a John Petrucci fan.

We have all seen different trends come and go. Everything from `Nevermind` to `Passion an Warfare`. I dare anyone to listen to Ace´s solo album and tell me that is doesn't rock. It does.

Kiss was much more than marketing. Great songs was behind every successful tour and million album sales. That is the missing ingredient nowadays.

Rezamatix":2q2cz911 said:
luther910":2q2cz911 said:
Rezamatix":2q2cz911 said:
People need to stop acting like KISS changed the world or somethin.

No, they did.

ok. see this is my disconnect. KISS' heyday was when i was a young child. By the time i was into music. It was 1983, So I missed out on KISS.
maybe they did change the world. but I just never viewed them in the vein of serious bands that I love like Led Zeppelin , Sabbath, Floyd.

That is totaly okay :thumbsup:

Ace definitely has limited skills, no argument there, I've seen clips where he sounds like crap and some good ones too, I think his playing fluctuates between sloppy sounding up to pretty decent. I saw a recent clip and it was pretty decent. It's on youtube like within the last month or so. But I think the dude is cool, and his playing was good for Kiss in there early days up to about 81'.

I own and dig 2 of Matt's records and not a single Ace record. But, I can really appreciate what Ace and Kiss did for rock. Very influential to many greats. Coming around full circle as of late. I started with early Metallica and skate rock.

I really enjoyed the video for it's simple, raw, energetic qualities. Filmed at Electric Lady, killer!

Doing what is right for the song, part, vibe without concern for technical perfectness will always be something I really dig.

This thread is why guitar players on silly forums will continue to have zero credibility.
Ridiculous. How embarrassing.

Mailman1971":343culef said:
:LOL: :LOL:

But in all honesty....
Steve got it and yes I do agree with this as well.

Quote "That basically hits the nail on the head. I really did love the Love Gun album though. Probably the best they were ever able to squeeze out of him. I was 12 at the time but the impression it made on me has lasted 38 years. It's amazing because he really is just... not good at playing guitar."

Ace was my first rock hero. I bought kiss alive 2 in boston on a family trip and that was it. Learned the tapping part of shock me on my ukulele before i played guitar.
The interview was classic rock star legendary attitude stuff and the interviewer is funny how starstruck he is by Ace's slop, but if i sat down with vh i'd be just as freaked out. Ace as a musician and guitarist sucks cactus and is not fit to smell guthrie or shawn lane's toothbrush but he sold a few million more records than those guys could ever dream of and his simple attitude-filled pedestrian riffs captured and connected with a generation.

Rezamatix":19uctzo2 said:
luther910":19uctzo2 said:
They have some cool songs, but there were many more successful songwriters and artists in the same time period. People need to stop acting like KISS changed the world or something.
Yea they were popular and wore outfits...so what? Their music isn't that great. It was intensely popular for a time and now it's nostalgia and people just putting them on pedestals.

I respect your opinion but disagree on some points. I will give you the nostalgia, outfits, etc. because you are absolutely right about that. When you go to a KISS show or collect memorabilia (like me) you are capturing the show and the things you expect "smashed guitar, breathing fire, etc.".

The part I disagree with is that they don't have good music. Like I have said before, it is about perspective. It is easy now for people to be critical of their music because there is so much out there now that is heavier, dirtier, etc. They focus on a certain type of hard rock and don't deviate too much from it. They are a formula. Sure, they have some dud songs, but there are a lot of great songs.

Like I said though, I do agree that a lot is nostalgia for so many of us. But with that said, I just saw KISS a few weeks ago and their show was better than any of their shows I saw between 1996 and 2000. At their age, pretty amazing. It wasn't Slipknot, but a great show. :)

You gotta love people that play butt rock that sounds like it's from 2003, on a message board with a lot of guys who still love 80's rock, making fun of a 65 year old guy. :LOL: :LOL:

Ace is funny if anything. 5:26 "I don't know what I'm doing, nobody ever taught me how to play, I'm just wingin it".

Other guy, "how about Shock Me"? "Ace, How's it go" Other guy shows Ace how to play it! :LOL: :LOL:

Ace sang the best KISS songs too. Also in the 70's and early 80's no one did guitar solos like he did with the smoking guitar that levitated into the air. He sounds pretty good on this one, yeah it's all pentatonic wanking but there's plenty of guys who achieved guitar god status doing that.

Back