Acoustic Guitars

Aynirar27

Holy shit there are a lot of them!

tl:dr recommend me an acoustic

Although I’ve been playing guitar for 25 years or so, I’ve never really looked in to acoustics very much. I’ve always had one around, most have just been gifts.

But I’m turning 40 soon and I’ve accepted that I’m old now, so I’d like to treat myself to a nice acoustic. Well a kinda nice acoustic. Like maybe around $1k or so.

So I started looking to see what is out there and I can’t believe how many styles there are. Shapes, sizes, bracing, electronics, oh my!

So anyways I guess I’m looking at recommendations on where to start my search. The nearest decent shop to me is 90 or so minutes away, but if I have to carve out the time to visit, I will.

I took fingerstyle lessons for a few years so that is mostly what I play. A bit of blues as well. Not so much in to strumming.

I’d prefer it to also be electric but not a deal breaker. And I would strongly prefer it to be all solid wood, which is probably the most limiting factor

What are you guys playing??

Seagull, Breedlove, and Alvarez are probably going to give you the most for your money at or under $1k. The Taylor 214ce is nice, but riding it's name a bit with the price. Alternatively, https://www.rondomusic.com/acoustics.html are absolute quality bargains if you're willing to go that route (I have a classical 7 version) Built by World Music (probably same as your Strandberg depending on the year), just make sure to check scale length vs tuning you want. On the used end of things 70/80s Yamaha or Takamine for less than half and up to your budget. Possibly a few Martins from the 90s/early 00s like the US built DM and OM models for under $1k, but rabbit hole on what is what. My others include an 80s Martin D28, a 70s Takamine martin copy, and this pretty rare lovely that's easily my favorite

20240218_171926.jpg

I like smaller bodies. I have a dreadnaught but play my Larrivee orchestra sized the most by far. And I mostly plunk around without a pick and have done that since I started playing. That's actually HOW I started playing...acoustic with no pick. IMO Taylors are way, way over priced (edit: their 12-strings are cool tho). I found my Larrivee by trying a bunch in music stores. I wasn't looking for Larrivee but it was an easy decision.

The woods do make a big difference. Mahogany back/sides vs Rosewood is a big one. Mahogany more mids, Rosewood more scooped. I usually prefer Rosewood but it can get boomy/bassy with Dreadnaughts. The all Mahogany parlor sized guitars are REALLY midrangey, not for me.

I have no idea about electronics except I never liked those piezo bridge pickups standalone. They sound like plastic.

I like smaller bodies. I have a dreadnaught but play my Larrivee orchestra sized the most by far. And I mostly plunk around without a pick and have done that since I started playing. That's actually HOW I started playing...acoustic with no pick. IMO Taylors are way, way over priced (edit: their 12-strings are cool tho). I found my Larrivee by trying a bunch in music stores. I wasn't looking for Larrivee but it was an easy decision.

The woods do make a big difference. Mahogany back/sides vs Rosewood is a big one. Mahogany more mids, Rosewood more scooped. I usually prefer Rosewood but it can get boomy/bassy with Dreadnaughts. The all Mahogany parlor sized guitars are REALLY midrangey, not for me.

I have no idea about electronics except I never liked those piezo bridge pickups standalone. They sound like plastic.

The more I read, the more mahogany seems right for me.
I’m not really looking for a “big” sound, and I don’t sing, so sonically the mids won’t get in the way of anything.
But then again, the acoustic I do have now sounds really boxy to me so maybe I need to stop thinking like they are electric rigs

I’ve been looking as well…since I’ve mainly played electric, I’m intrigued by the newer Martin sc series. Supposedly very easy to play.

The new Fender Highway acoustics also look interesting.

I just bought a Guild 12 string maple while on vacation, and it’s the best playing acoustic I’ve ever played. The setup is spot on. Sounds great too, bright and jangly. Got it at GC Albany. Sub $500 too. With a case.

I just bought a Guild 12 string maple while on vacation, and it’s the best playing acoustic I’ve ever played. The setup is spot on. Sounds great too, bright and jangly. Got it at GC Albany. Sub $500 too. With a case.
Does the GC there still have instruments? Last time I went it was damn near empty

I own several nice acoustics.

All were bought used as I fell you get the best bang for your buck by doing so.

An ’03 Taylor Jumbo Custom I picked up a few years back in a pawnshop for $270.

A ‘76 SL Mossman Great Plains Dred I also picked up at a pawnshop for $762.

An lastly a ‘15 Martin Centennial DC -28 E Dred I picked up this past November in a pawnshop for $1K.

Of the 3, the Martin is the most balanced and is an acoustic electric .

I suggest hit as many pawnshops as you can, as well as checking on FB Marketplace and CL to see what might be available.

Attachments

• IMG_0528.jpeg
    IMG_0528.jpeg
    275.9 KB · Views: 9
Seagull, Breedlove, and Alvarez are probably going to give you the most for your money at or under $1k. The Taylor 214ce is nice, but riding it's name a bit with the price. Alternatively, https://www.rondomusic.com/acoustics.html are absolute quality bargains if you're willing to go that route (I have a classical 7 version) Built by World Music (probably same as your Strandberg depending on the year), just make sure to check scale length vs tuning you want. On the used end of things 70/80s Yamaha or Takamine for less than half and up to your budget. Possibly a few Martins from the 90s/early 00s like the US built DM and OM models for under $1k, but rabbit hole on what is what. My others include an 80s Martin D28, a 70s Takamine martin copy, and this pretty rare lovely that's easily my favorite

View attachment 289229

The Breedlove line looks most intriguing to me. I think I just really like the shape they have.
I have a seagull now. Entourage maybe? I like it, but don’t love it. I think it’s a fairly entry level one. My ex bought it for me so it doesn’t owe me a damn thing lol

Have an ovation 98 collecters. Been sitting under my bed since new. Less than 20 hours time on it. Perfect condition with case
Can be yours if interested

Youll have to truck down here. Not looking to ship it.

Have an ovation 98 collecters. Been sitting under my bed since new. Less than 20 hours time on it. Perfect condition with case
Can be yours if interested

Youll have to truck down here. Not looking to ship it.
Aw cmon man. You know the delivery is my favorite part.

Anyone have experience with those “urban ash” Taylor guitars?
Kinda cheesy but sustainability and urban planning is kind of a passion of mine and I think it’s cool they are using wood from that.

The Breedlove line looks most intriguing to me. I think I just really like the shape they have.
I have a seagull now. Entourage maybe? I like it, but don’t love it. I think it’s a fairly entry level one. My ex bought it for me so it doesn’t owe me a damn thing lol
I like the breedlove models too. Lots of finishes and wood choices on a nice modern design.
Did you know they make a Jeff Bridges (the dude) signature model ? :ROFLMAO:

I like the breedlove models too. Lots of finishes and wood choices on a nice modern design.
Did you know they make a Jeff Bridges (the dude) signature model ? :ROFLMAO:
I think I saw that yesterday looking at their concert models but didn’t make the connection lol.
Fun movie fact, the brothers that wrote that movie went to school near me and based the bowling alley on our local lanes

My advice….never order one online. If you buy one from a forum bro- make sure you trust their opinion. I prefer jumbo’s and super jumbo’s. The last one I ordered was a high dollar guild and it was completely dead sounding, no matter what I did. Personally I have never been let down by a Martin or a Taylor. One of the very best sounding acoustic guitars I’ve ever played was an old Martin sigma. Me and my buddies who were metal heads in college walked into a little music store. When I picked it up and started playing, not only was I like whoa…they both turned around and were like damn….fuckin guitar killed. I was a broke ass college student and I regret not getting that guitar to this day. In other words just go try a bunch out…

Back