Actually good female guitarists?

I think Nita Strauss gives women guitar players a bad name. Skill wise, she's by no means a beginner, but she is clearly, clearly nowhere near as technically skilled or as emotionally expressive through her instrument as all her marketing and career framing would suggest she is. Her music frames her as some technical virtuoso but she is an intermediate player at best, even though her music is structured entirely to show off what a "gunslinger" of a guitar player she is, when she simply doesn't have the feel to support that kind of playing. She's a real example of somebody who truly has achieved what she has almost entirely because she's hot.

To further make my point, I challenge you to name any male guitar player considered a virtuoso who is technically a worse player than Nita.

As for something positive, I do think Lari Basilio is an excellent player. She really knows her strengths and plays well to them, she's expressive as hell and her music is great. I still go back and listen to a dumb little video she did on the JHS AT+ pedal, lol. It's a simple little jam but damn it's great and makes me smile every time I hear it.

Last edited:
I'm sure there's a bunch that are just great, but I can't think of a single one that I actually listen to.

Like where I actually listen to their music? Not fucking one.

Not that I wouldn't be open to it, but the vast majority of female guitar players that are popular are like Nita Straus, and she isn't better than I am for fuck's sake.

My late friend Ronni Crooks was the real deal. She started in the early 70's. Jazz trained but could rock, sing, write, etc.
She was also the first (and only) female endorser for Vigier Guitars.

1641262411744.png

I think Nita Strauss gives women guitar players a bad name. Skill wise, she's by no means a beginner, but she is clearly, clearly nowhere near as technically skilled or as emotionally expressive through her instrument as all her marketing and career framing would suggest she is. Her music frames her as some technical virtuoso but she is an intermediate player at best, even though her music is structured entirely to show off what a "gunslinger" of a guitar player she is, when she simply doesn't have the feel to support that kind of playing. She's a real example of somebody who truly has achieved what she has almost entirely because she's hot.

To further make my point, I challenge you to name any male guitar player considered a virtuoso who is technically a worse player than Nita.

As for something positive, I do think Lari Basilio is an excellent player. She really knows her strengths and plays well to them, she's expressive as hell and her music is great. I still go back and listen to a dumb little video she did on the JHS AT+ pedal, lol. It's a simple little jam but damn it's great and makes me smile every time I hear it.

If Nita didn't look the way she does, no one would give her guitar playing any mention.

I'm sure there's a bunch that are just great, but I can't think of a single one that I actually listen to.

Like where I actually listen to their music? Not fucking one.

Not that I wouldn't be open to it, but the vast majority of female guitar players that are popular are like Nita Straus, and she isn't better than I am for fuck's sake.
Really? You don't like Boris? I love Wata but she isn't a shredder.

If Nita didn't look the way she does, no one would give her guitar playing any mention.
I said the same thing. And female guitarist have to kinda Bow down to her since she is pretty much the top dog. But yeah she isn't anything special. I pissed her off by saying that her posters for Ibanez look like beer ads or something to that affect. It's like you are a so called role model for young girl guitarist but all your promo pics looks like a stripper

Back