Adding a cab to a combo question

NatGardner

I am considering adding a matched extension cab ( egnator 112x ) to my Tweaker 40 combo in hopes of better bass response and maybe a bit more clean headroom at a louder volume.

What changes will I hear if I were to do so?

not sure what you can expect from egnater.. but i added a blackstar htv 112 cab to my marshall dsl 40c for club gigs. it did improve the bass response and clean headroom in a very good way.. at least for me. i now find myself dialing some of the bass and mids back and using the pentode/triode selector more.. depending on the room. however both designs are open or semi open backed.. which would make a difference over a closed back cab. i'm also using a jet direct and run a little bit of that back through the mains and monitors to fatten things up a bit. it helps keep the guitar sounding fuller and less directional in clubs.. especially on songs where i'm the only guitar player. running a bit back through the monitors helps the drummer and bass player hear me better because the stacked cabs.. even though open backed.. can be directional.. so in theory it helps keep us a bit tighter.

My JCM 900 is actually a combo. I just unplug the speaker in the chasis and run my 412 with it. WAY bigger, ballsier sound. I can't comment on Egnater's, but I've found more articulation and depth with using an external cabinet. To my ear, a 412 sounds bigger than a 112. But depending on what you go for, it might be just what you're after.

The best 1x12 I've come across that makes a combo sound huge with it is the Mesa Thiele 1x12, closed back and ported model with the EVM 12L speaker. That little cab has some serious low end.

Back