AI and the future of music

  • Thread starter Thread starter marvcus
  • Start date Start date
I think there will be music for the masses of people uninterested in music and music made by humans for people like us who love music and want to hear what actual human artists have to offer.
 
I think there will be music for the masses of people uninterested in music and music made by humans for people like us who love music and want to hear what actual human artists have to offer.
No question it'll be a case of "there will be".

The real question pertains to how much / what proportion of the pie we real artists will receive.

That's what worries me anyway.
 
for me AI has a place. I can sing in tune, but let's just say my voice doesnt sound consistent. I run it thru ai to enhance my voice. but i record these songs for my enjoyment.
 
I have a shit load of riffs and almost complete song ideas that I would love to complete before I die. I just want to hear them like I do in my head. AI kinda seems like the only way it’s gonna happen. I just need an A I singer mostly. But if I use it for vocals , drums and Bass that would be fine too. Plus, I don’t necessarily want the same singer for all the songs. Some I’d like smoother female vocals. Others I’d want more raspy manly.
 
Artists have a long history of innovating their form by using technology in unintended ways, and I believe AI will follow this pattern. I'd be surprised if a new genre or two didn't evolve out of breaking/abusing AI.
 
I have a shit load of riffs and almost complete song ideas that I would love to complete before I die. I just want to hear them like I do in my head. AI kinda seems like the only way it’s gonna happen. I just need an A I singer mostly. But if I use it for vocals , drums and Bass that would be fine too. Plus, I don’t necessarily want the same singer for all the songs. Some I’d like smoother female vocals. Others I’d want more raspy manly.

Yeah I can jive with using it as a tool like this. But I hesitate at basically enter a prompt and it spits out a complete song for you kind of thing. A lot of these reimagined 80s hits on YouTube are pretty cool, but I would hate to see learning an instrument go even more to the wayside.
 
I listened to this for months before I found out it was AI, crestfallen.



AI as a tool is great and will be helpful, but the world needs better safeguards/detection to prevent fraud/abuse.
 
What are your thoughts on AI with respect to what it may mean for the future of music and recording?

For the most part, I don’t like it. I think AI song generation has the potential to make learning an instrument even more of a rare skill and kill creativity and talent that could have been cultivated.

Can you imagine being able to prompt a new song on the spot about whatever you want? -Give me a song about (whatever) in the style of say, Metallica, but with a guitar solo with hints of Petrucci and George Lynch. Poof—here’s your song. That is kind of crazy to think about, but it is here and up and coming.

Recording-wise, however, I can see a benefit for home recorders that say, need a drum track in the style of (insert here) by a simple prompt command. Then laying down your own stuff on top of that.
However, as an auxiliary tool for home recording, it's really cool, because generating a quick drum track or bass part for your own jam saves a lot of time and effort. I regularly monitor technological trends myself, and the latest llm ai news portal gives an excellent understanding of how quickly new neural networks are developing and changing creative industries. I think that playing instruments live will become an exclusive rarity that will be appreciated even more than before. Have you tried to give AI your lyrics or rhythmic patterns for arrangement?
For the most part though, it feels inevitable and I knee-jerk want to reject it.
It seems like a miracle, but no algorithm can fake the vivid emotions and unique mistakes of live musicians.
 
Last edited:
It seems like a miracle, but no algorithm can fake the vivid emotions and unique mistakes of live musicians.
Unfortunately alot of people would rather see a show thats 100% mimed and quantized to perfection. The era of blood sweat and tears is dying.
 
Unfortunately alot of people would rather see a show thats 100% mimed and quantized to perfection. The era of blood sweat and tears is dying.

People have been trained on quantized, autotuned records, and mimed concerts. They listen to nothing but mainstream crap, and mainstream crap is the epicenter for that.

The jump from that to AI isn't a giant leap.
 
Back
Top