Any news of Cameron lately?

Yea there ya go, same feel and tone 100 percent. The one I had mine side to side with had much less gain. I liked the Brad one better to his. Yea same for me cool amp but never lasted in my cave.
Wow those mods must've taken that JVM into new territory; every JVM I've tried sounded like a 5153 to me with different mids...not bad but more of a toy compared to what I usually like.
Interesting.

Yea there ya go, same feel and tone 100 percent. The one I had mine side to side with had much less gain. I liked the Brad one better to his. Yea same for me cool amp but never lasted in my cave.

The pre-Brad CCVs varied significantly from amp to amp so not shocking... There are five different clipping setups Mark used and the amps were tailored to what the buyer wanted. Sounds like the one you tried had one of the lower level clipping sets. The one off I have actually has a 5 way rotary with all the CCV clipping options and the gain levels vary pretty significantly. That coupled with the switching options for the caps on the various stages can make it sound like a very different amp depending on how you have the switches set up.

There's no mysticism to it, but they are great amps

The pre-Brad CCVs varied significantly from amp to amp so not shocking... There are five different clipping setups Mark used and the amps were tailored to what the buyer wanted. Sounds like the one you tried had one of the lower level clipping sets. The one off I have actually has a 5 way rotary with all the CCV clipping options and the gain levels vary pretty significantly. That coupled with the switching options for the caps on the various stages can make it sound like a very different amp depending on how you have the switches set up.

There's no mysticism to it, but they are great amps
kind of how so feel about the Klon. A lot of mysticism around the diodes, but they weren’t rare snd can still be gotten. It’s simply a really good design

The amps sided by side was my CCV and the only setting with more gain was with the lower “clipping” setting. Mark liked to use a higher voltage zener/diode for the mid clipping to make the amp more versatile. Mark told me Rob from Tone Merchants want more gain from the lower clipping setting, so Mark used a lower voltage zener/transistor. Outside of that, the amps had the same gain on the Max clipping setting. I also use NOS preamp tubes in my CCV for specific tonal reasons.

To confirm what I said, my amp was played dozens of times with another friend who had the 3rd CCV ever built and they were 99% identical in tone, gain, feel, etc. After opening them up and looking, my CCV had one different change. The middle pots on mine were 100k with a 47k resistor across the pot. This changes the taper of the pot making it more useful and allowing more use of the range. So my mid pot on 4 is equivalent to a stock pot on like 6.

As for how the Brad amps sounded... the sounded great and I like them. You knew instantly it is a Cameron amp. The only down side is that the pots were all located too low and looked weird. Also, some pots were shorting out on the shielding inside the head shell. The upside was they had midi and a buffered effects loop.

I’m going on 11 years owning my CCV. It’s my all time favorite amp and does everything I want.

Last edited:
The amps sided by side was my CCV and the only setting with more gain was with the lower “clipping” setting. Mark liked to use a higher voltage zener/diode for the mid clipping to make the amp more versatile. Mark told me Rob from Tone Merchants want more gain from the lower clipping setting, so Mark used a lower voltage zener/transistor. Outside of that, the amps had the same gain on the Max clipping setting. I also use NOS preamp tubes in my CCV for specific tonal reasons.

To confirm what I said, my amp was played dozens of times with another friend who had the 3rd CCV ever built and they were 99% identical in tone, gain, feel, etc. After opening them up and looking, my CCV had one different change. The middle pots on mine were 100k with a 47k resistor across the pot. This changes the taper of the pot making it more useful and allowing more use of the range. So my mid pot on 4 is equivalent to a stock pot on like 6.

As for how the Brad amps sounded... the sounded great and I like them. You knew instantly it is a Cameron amp. The only down side is that the pots were all located too low and looked weird. Also, some pots were shorting out on the shielding inside the head shell. The upside was they had midi and a buffered effects loop.

I’m going on 11 years owning my CCV. It’s my all time favorite amp and does everything I want.
I forgot about the chassis being drilled too low on the pots. Yea that looked wrong.

2 guys walk into a bar, 1st guy sez : "my CCV is better than your CCV", other guy sez : "whats a CCV" ?

2 guys walk into a bar, 1st guy sez : "my CCV is better than your CCV", other guy sez : "whats a CCV" ?

I'm fine with a Marshall, stock or modded by Shea, Cam, whoever. Plus a C+; I'm all set with my tones.

But, it's kinda telling when a CCV does come up for sale, that they go for 6K or more. No matter what anyones opinion of them are, those are just the facts jack.

I'm fine with a Marshall, stock or modded by Shea, Cam, whoever. Plus a C+; I'm all set with my tones.

But, it's kinda telling when a CCV does come up for sale, that they go for 6K or more. No matter what anyones opinion of them are, those are just the facts jack.
giphy.gif

Not my monkey not my circus, not my money pal.
Cameron is still a douche no matter what he does.
You can be part of the solution or part of the problem.

I think he's suggesting that one ought not to buy an Cameron amp new.
And I haven't.....they are usually 4K and my limit is 3K, or around there. But, I will buy anything used if it's a good deal. Or trade if possible. The fact is, when these Camerons come up new, they sell fast. When they come up used, they sell fast.
Do I wish he would finally make it right with whom he owes money to? Of course.
But buying used doesn't hurt anyone, since the amp had left MC long ago. His amps are some of the best sounding modded Marshalls I've ever tried, that's just how it is.

And I haven't.....they are usually 4K and my limit is 3K, or around there. But, I will buy anything used if it's a good deal. Or trade if possible. The fact is, when these Camerons come up new, they sell fast. When they come up used, they sell fast.
Do I wish he would finally make it right with whom he owes money to? Of course.
But buying used doesn't hurt anyone, since the amp had left MC long ago. His amps are some of the best sounding modded Marshalls I've ever tried, that's just how it is.
Best modded amp i ever heard was a Golub Aldrich JMP owned by Steve K. /thread.
Wish i could find that amp now.
As for the second hand amp thing, yeah kinda sorta cept when folks swing from the MC nuttsack here about it.
Tone is subjective, my Golub JMP may be someone else's 5150 or Peavey Rockmaster.
I don't hold anything against you personally for owning an amplifier but i do believe in Karma though.
Im sure the CA Attorney General & the IRS will catch up with Cameron amps LLC eventually cuz they always do.

Best modded amp i ever heard was a Golub Aldrich JMP owned by Steve K. /thread.
Wish i could find that amp now.
As for the second hand amp thing, yeah kinda sorta cept when folks swing from the MC nuttsack here about it.
Tone is subjective, my Golub JMP may be someone else's 5150 or Peavey Rockmaster.
I don't hold anything against you personally for owning an amplifier but i do believe in Karma though.
Im sure the CA Attorney General & the IRS will catch up with Cameron amps LLC eventually cuz they always do.
I sold Steve that JMP

I sold Steve that JMP

omfg was that amp special IMO. :love::love::love::love:
Maybe i should say this Suhr modded JMP & the Martin Golub are in my top 3 favorites.
So many good amp out there.
Steve had a knack for finding the best amps on the planet RIP.
The MC stuff i just don't like the harsh top end that seems to drown out everything else.
"i can be a dick without coffee"

Last edited:

omfg was that amp special IMO. :love::love::love::love:
Maybe i should say this Suhr modded JMP & the Martin Golub are in my top 3 favorites.
So many good amp out there.
Steve had a knack for finding the best amps on the planet RIP.
The MC stuff i just don't like the harsh top end that seems to drown out everything else.
"i can be a dick without coffee"

That’s a different amp than I sold him. Mine was a Golub

Back