Any news of Cameron lately?

That makes more sense but I guess I figured it was a "trust me, Dave knows" situation. Meaning, he's probably been inside a real one. :)
Dave’s a nice guy, and has some killer amps to choose from nowadays. Much better than the darker, earlier stuff that I didn’t care for. I’d bet he’d rather leave the CCV alone for Mark to hopefully start production and in the process get people either repaid or an amp.
Hopefully.

Yes they do. Haven’t tried ‘em yet myself though. Most of the Cameron’s I’ve had didn’t sound good with boosts, but didn’t need them anyway imo. Same with my Monomyth’s. Terrible with boosts, but really no need with those amps
It obviously matters what mod you have. Both of my Monomyths sound killer boosted, not that they need it though

It obviously matters what mod you have. Both of my Monomyths sound killer boosted, not that they need it though
Yeah maybe could depend on the mod. The 2 Monomyth’s I’ve had could sound good boosted on the lower gain mode (volume knob pulled out), but with it pushed in (higher gain) it was a total no go with any boost I tried, but I preferred that mode with no boost to the lower one boosted. For anything on the lower gain mode I honestly just much preferred my stock ‘79 JMP2203 with a boost. I’d still take a good stock JMP boosted over almost any modded Marshall I’ve tried except maybe a few of the Cameron mods I’ve played

Nope. He can’t make one because the Tone Merchants version was not correct to the real design; Cameron purposely held back on the actual CCV design for reasons only he knows.
This is why the ‘pre Brad’ CCVs sound better and are more sought after; although some Brad era CCVs were Re-worked by Mark and are true CCVs now.
Never tried a stock Brad version, but mine is a 2011 Brad Era CCV that was Re-worked by Mark (all done before I bought it used) and sounds identical to how I remember Psychodave’s pre-Brad sounding and AB’ed with my friends Post-Brad CCV (either 2014 or 2015) made by Mark and they sounded identical. They didn’t even have exactly the same tubes and one of the 2 transformers was different in his yet neither of us heard any difference

Yeah maybe could depend on the mod. The 2 Monomyth’s I’ve had could sound good boosted on the lower gain mode (volume knob pulled out), but with it pushed in (higher gain) it was a total no go with any boost I tried, but I preferred that mode with no boost to the lower one boosted. For anything on the lower gain mode I honestly just much preferred my stock ‘79 JMP2203 with a boost. I’d still take a good stock JMP boosted over almost any modded Marshall I’ve tried except maybe a few of the Cameron mods I’ve played
I agree with you when the gain is up but never found a need to boost then. It’s just over the top. Once the preamp section is tapped out there’s no room for boosting.

I agree with you when the gain is up but never found a need to boost then. It’s just over the top. Once the preamp section is tapped out there’s no room for boosting.
Yes exactly that’s what I meant. I only use that higher gain mode on mine just because I prefer my stock JMP boosted to the lower gain mode on the Monomyth, but the higher gain setting has this really tight and sizzly sound that nothing else I’ve tried so far can match

That's because DF's base is global and not exclusive to a handful of people on an 80's cock-rock forum.
FWIW a CCV isn't really "all that".
the CCV is more versatile than the BE100. I’m sure the market is there, people just don’t want the associated drama. If you make it available with a reliable company behind it, it’d sell. Reinhold Bogner wouldn’t be as successful as he is without Jorge, whom is the business brain and glue behind the brand

Last edited:
Nope. He can’t make one because the Tone Merchants version was not correct to the real design; Cameron purposely held back on the actual CCV design for reasons only he knows.
This is why the ‘pre Brad’ CCVs sound better and are more sought after; although some Brad era CCVs were Re-worked by Mark and are true CCVs now.
lol no.

Actually yes. The are several signature component combinations in almost every mark modded or built amp that are different in the Brad era CCV. While the amps topology is the same, the sum of the components are tonally different. That said, even 2 CCVs from mark were unlikely to be identical.

As for the old bitch, it’s mark cameron from the waist up and Friedman from the waist down. It’s got a questionable mark preamp design and none of Marks power section. Considering a lot of Marks tone comes from the power section, it’s hardly Marks design. It’s literally a portion of an incomplete circuit that was hand drawn then a Friedman power section dropped in then built by Metro with improperly wired filter caps that weren’t even grounded

Last edited:
Not sure about that, we had an amp fest years back and a forum member here brought up his original Mark made CCV and I had the Brad CCV, everyone that was there said the sounded exactly alike, actually the Brad one had more gain on tap. I had a bunch of CCV’s Brad and Marks and liked the Brad one better!

Not sure about that, we had an amp fest years back and a forum member here brought up his original Mark made CCV and I had the Brad CCV, everyone that was there said the sounded exactly alike, actually the Brad one had more gain on tap. I had a bunch of CCV’s Brad and Marks and liked the Brad one better!
But, but, that’s impossible! ?

Lol....Haha...If you were there you would have laughed....it was priceless!! I loved every minute of it...?
I’ve owned a bunch of Camerons too including the CCV. They sound and feel great but at the end of the day they’re still just amps.

Haha well that's what I heard....I do know someone who's ears I trust who has tried to like the CCVs, had 2 but sold them all pretty quick. He does really like the modded Marshalls, as do I.
To each their own. It's great though that we have Shea and Mr Hopkins who are available and can do great work.

Haha well that's what I heard....I do know someone who's ears I trust who has tried to like the CCVs, had 2 but sold them all pretty quick. He does really like the modded Marshalls, as do I.
To each their own. It's great though that we have Shea and Mr Hopkins who are available and can do great work.
Lol...Yea I had a few...played the original and Brad era one side by side and actually liked the Brad on better and so did the other guys there....And yea Shea’s mod seem to be the best out there now...I will have in the future!!

Lol...Yea I had a few...played the original and Brad era one side by side and actually liked the Brad on better and so did the other guys there....And yea Shea’s mod seem to be the best out there now...I will have in the future!!
They’re right up your alley Vince ??

I had an OG Cameron built CCV. I sold it to a local friend. When I got my Brad CCV we had them side by side and we both agreed they sounded pretty much the same.

i had a Marshall JVM modded with Mercury choke, OT and PT and took it along with my OG CCV to an ampfest and everyone preferred the JVM. That JVM was a killer amp I wish I never sold.

The CCV is a cool amp, and i get why people love them. They’re just not my be all/ end all.

I had an OG Cameron built CCV. I sold it to a local friend. When I got my Brad CCV we had them side by side and we both agreed they sounded pretty much the same.

i had a Marshall JVM modded with Mercury choke, OT and PT and took it along with my OG CCV to an ampfest and everyone preferred the JVM. That JVM was a killer amp I wish I never sold.

The CCV is a cool amp, and i get why people love them. They’re just not my be all/ end all.
Yea there ya go, same feel and tone 100 percent. The one I had mine side to side with had much less gain. I liked the Brad one better to his. Yea same for me cool amp but never lasted in my cave.

Back