Any SG's with a 25.5 scale length?

Metalhex

My band plays in drop B and a Gibson scale length just gets too muddy with .011s or .012s in that tuning.

I owned an Epiphone SG Prophecy and it was awesome but with 24 frets and a 24.75 scale length, it was just too crammed in the upper frets. Even though the frets were crammed, the upper fret access was amazing. I had it in drop C at that time so it was muddy or flabby. I do believe that tuning down a whole step more would create that difference from clear enough to straight mud.

I'm looking for an SG style guitar with a 25.5 scale length. Preferably 24 frets but not sure if one exists. I know the make baritone 27 inch but that's too big for my smaller hands.

For me it's not just about upper fret access, the SG body looks so cool

Thanks

Gibson made two 25.5" models. The SG90 and the SGZ. They are both 24 frets and don't really look as cool as a regular SG.

original.jpg

dc5ed6bdfb6767398dd5aee11793ee03.jpg

If you play in drop B might as well look into the Gibson SG Baritone. It’s 27” and tuned to B from the factory.

Have you tried a heavier gauge string?

Last time I saw Zakk Wylde he did half the show in Drop B on his SG clone and it sounded super tight, and I know he uses really heavy bottom strings.

Anyway, if you don't mind a bolt-on neck you could do a Warmoth build with their SG-esque body.

I like the vipers but the scale length and drop B doesn't mesh well for me. It will be too muddy. Geez will someone start producing a 25.5 SG already. I don't wanna hear shit about the neck dive would be worse because 27 Inch ones exist haha.

I don't see anything promising. I guess what I want doesn't exist. Too picky.

What are you using? I run a LP and a Viper in drop B with both a boosted Herbert and an Orange Dual Dark boosted, and they can get as tight as anything. I’m using 12-60 for both of those.

I can go from Crowbar/Down to KSE no issues…

Back