Anyone else gave up drinking this year or ?

espquade

Been debating about this on and off for the past few months but I finally think I am done drinking even though I consider myself a casual drinker and not a heavy drinker I have noticed that my one glass of wine a night turned into 2 big glasses... and became the norm thru the week and then much more on the weekends with friends to the point where I realized this is a slippery slope that I need to get off of.

Had some minor health concerns recently and have noticed when I don't drink I feel so much better. Anyone else who gave it up or are thinking about it seriously?

Last edited:
Been debating about this on and off for the past few months but I finally think I am done drinking even though I consider myself a casual drinker nd not a heavy drinker I have noticed that my one glass of wine a night turned into 2 and became the norm thru the week and then much more on the weekends with friends to the point where I realized this is a slippery slope that I need to get off of.

Had some minor health concerns recently and have noticed when I don't drink I feel so much better. Anyone else who gave it up or are thinking about it seriously?

I gave it up. It will cause health problems.

I think the thing for me that is the hardest part of giving it up is missing the buzz.

Like the Huey Lewis song.. I want a new drug...:bash:

I think the thing for me that is the hardest part of giving it up is missing the buzz.

Like the Huey Lewis song.. I want a new drug...:bash:

Find something else to replace that buzz. Yes, get a new drug, but a healthy one like biking, or some other sport, or get a high energy dog.

BTW the more you use alcohol to achieve that "Buzz" at some point it will be the only thing capable of making you feel good. You ever heard alcoholics say I don't feel normal when I'm sober? This is why.

Find something else to replace that buzz. Yes, get a new drug, but a healthy one like biking, or some other sport, or get a high energy dog.

BTW the more you use alcohol to achieve that "Buzz" at some point it will be the only thing capable of making you feel good. You ever heard alcoholics say I don't feel normal when I'm sober? This is why.
Well I have already decided that it's time to stop so that's the easy part. I just know I will miss the buzz but it's not important enough to keep drinking.

Well I have already decided that it's time to stop so that's the easy part. I just know I will miss the buzz.

Not sure you read the story over in the food & drink section.
I waited way too long and didn't quit full blown alcoholism till 58.

Was terrified I'd miss the buzz - that guitar wouldn't be fun anymore - I'd have no more sense of humor
- wouldn't be as comfortable around new people - and a bunch of other things.
Intentionally didn't touch a guitar for a month. That was the most important one so wanted to get
other things EQ'd first before even attempting that.

It's the worst cliche in the book. But unfortunately it's 100% true. One day at a time.

Reach out if you need an ear. (y)

Last edited:
I rarely drink. I maybe had 3 this year. Never been my thing. Don’t smoke or do drugs either 🤷. My thing is sweets… luckily I don’t put on weight either. If I gave up those snacks I’d be ripped… but I never plan on giving them up. 🤣

Just being able to say I'm done and succeed is pretty amazing most can't do that .

Many find it necessary to make a whole lifestyle change and avoid situations that triggers them to want to drink . The battle is not just of the mind but the body as well. Some need to go into a detox because the body starts to crave it .

It's a very difficult problem to overcome for millions of people and I've always believed it's the most destructive drug on the planet .

Not sure you read the story over in the food & drink section.
I waited way too long and didn't quit full blown alcoholism till 58.

Was terrified I'd miss the buzz - that guitar wouldn't be fun anymore - I'd have no more sense of humor
- wouldn't be as comfortable around new people - and a bunch of other things.
Intentionally didn't touch a guitar for a month. That was the most important one so wanted to get
other things EQ'd first before even attempting that.

It's the worst cliche in the book. But unfortunately it's 100% true. One day at a time.

Reach out if you need an ear. (y)
There's a food and drink section ? Really... damn I guess I missed that.
I will check out your story.. Thanks!

I quit drinking right after I turned 21. It is mostly a waste of time, not to mention money. Give it a go. You will quickly learn it is no loss.

stopped for about 3 years back in the 80s, not due to a problem. just decided no more

now im a bit too old. I like a toot of bourbon with a cigar on a friday night
maybe 4 or 5 shots over the entire night so im not even feeling it

I cant drink more than a pint of beer without falling asleep

i cant remember that i even had a beer since the summer

My thing is sweets

You know how much sugar is in rum? I very quickly gained about 10 pounds after quitting and it was all sweets.
First Easter Sunday over my kid's house I nearly ODd on jelly beans and chocolate.

Pre-diabetic now and really have to watch it. Weight is down at least.

I used to love to drink beer. The working title of my last band before we started gigging was 30 pack. Because we drank one every practice. We were a 3 piece. Practices were 4 hours.

These days a 6 of Guinness lasts me a couple weeks. Occasionally I’ll have a martini or a G&T.

Been debating about this on and off for the past few months but I finally think I am done drinking even though I consider myself a casual drinker and not a heavy drinker I have noticed that my one glass of wine a night turned into 2 big glasses... and became the norm thru the week and then much more on the weekends with friends to the point where I realized this is a slippery slope that I need to get off of.

I would take a little break. Get more exercise. Also focus on your mental health. Remove negativity from your life.

Back