Avatar Cab with a Splawn Quickrod?

KentC

I bought a new Quickrod earlier this year but due to unfortunate car repairs, all the money I had saved up for a cab I had to spend on fixing my car. So for months Ive had a new amp and no cab to play it through. :( I was planning on getting a splawn 2x12 to match the amp mostly for cosmetic reasons. The small block speakers are another reason I was going to go Splawn, but I plan on playing around with speakers anyway, and there are a couple other amps on my radar that I would like to get that might not gel so well with the Small Blocks. So, I was looking at Avatar cabs as an alternative for now. I would still like to get a splawn cab, but for right now Im looking to try something a little cheaper and play with some speakers. So does anyone here have a Quickrod and play it through an Avatar 2x12? One key thing to add here is that I am not a gigging player. The amp is used for home use and home recording. So Im not going to be cranking the amp to absurd levels. Im sure that the Splawn would hold together better at higher volumes, but thats not something that I'm going too be doing. At least not very often. I was thinking of the traditional 2x12 with a Governor and Wizard to start off. So I guess I'm trying to find out what the general opinion here is on Avatar cabs are and if anyone is playing a Splawn through it, please feel free to comment.

I had the oversized one (forget the name) with a Govenor and a Man-O-War in it with my Nitro. It was really great.

I'd say spend the extra money on the Splawn cab.

The consensus seems to be that players are generally happy their Avatar cabs.
An odd similarity is that those players also typically never seem to have owned a cab at a higher price point beforehand.

D-Rock":2ju5lx16 said:
An odd similarity is that those players also never seem to have owned a cab at a higher price point beforehand.

I would include myself in that category. All my other amps I have had have been combos so this is my first head and cab configuration. So I dont know what a "good" cab sounds like compared to a cheap one.

I have a Splawn 2x12 and an Avatar Vintage 2x12 and the Splawn Quick Rod sounds great through both. My Avatar originally had V30'S in it which I then changed to Splawn Small Blocks. Now the Splawn 2x12 sounds more modern and focused and the Avatar sounds more vintage and "open."

Hope this helps,

D-Rock":3nillrf3 said:
An odd similarity is that those players also never seem to have owned a cab at a higher price point beforehand.

I have zero complaints with my Avatar cab. :confused:

Bassman2204.jpg

I've had three Avatar cabinets... great for the price, but there's so many cabinets out there that are better in build and sound. You can get use Avatar cabinets for almost nothing because nobody will buy something unknown in most local areas. Impossible to resale for a good price though, I actually got more by yanking the speakers from one than I would've by selling the entire cabinet. You can get a better used cab for the price of a new Avatar, but if you want some specific speakers and don't want to spend much, then it's hard to beat Avatar.

Mr. Willy":2ltnwkw5 said:
D-Rock":2ltnwkw5 said:
An odd similarity is that those players also typically never seem to have owned a cab at a higher price point beforehand.

I have zero complaints with my Avatar cab. :confused:
Great! I hear very little in way of complaints about them.

I have a splawn 2x12 with a gov/mow in it. I'd sell you the speakers for cheap if youre interested. Those were the 'go to' speakers for a QR back in the day. Im using it with a different head now and it doesnt like the speakers like the QR did

Is there a reason why you are set on the Traditional model from Avatar? Maybe it's a price thing?
Personally, the Trad. model matches up nicely more with Fender style amps, but for the Splawn I would be leaning more towards the Vintage or Contemp. models.

I just bought a 2012 Splawn QR and Cab with small blocks....Go with a Splawn cab if you can...One of the best built cabs out there and the small blocks sound the best with the QR....IMO.... :yes:

I have an avatar vintage 4 x 12..... go with the splawn. They just aren't very tight cabs. I find mine to be boomy. It might be because it is oversized but seriously, not enough clarity and tight low end. Resale value, forget about it! Heck even find a used 1960A cab. That's what I should have done and now I am saving up again for a cab and never seem to get there because of guess what? freakin car bills... hello new transmission and flywheel.

Kapo_Polenton":26qb5rz4 said:
I have an avatar vintage 4 x 12..... go with the splawn. They just aren't very tight cabs. I find mine to be boomy. It might be because it is oversized but seriously, not enough clarity and tight low end. Resale value, forget about it! Heck even find a used 1960A cab. That's what I should have done and now I am saving up again for a cab and never seem to get there because of guess what? freakin car bills... hello new transmission and flywheel.
The Vintage is only oversized in height I believe. They are a measly 12 inches deep, which is for sure affecting the lowend. So that cab is essentially tall, and thin.
Looks good, but I would never own a cab of those dimensions.

D rock, any idea on how i could tighten that low end or clarity in the cab? I know people say those Bob Molton caulk techniques do nothing so how about some of that batting alla bogner on the back baffle?

Kapo_Polenton":24zzmb7c said:
D rock, any idea on how i could tighten that low end or clarity in the cab? I know people say those Bob Molton caulk techniques do nothing so how about some of that batting alla bogner on the back baffle?
No harm in trying the batting. Easy to do, and undo. Might tighten it up.
If I were you I'd list your 2x12 locally for trade. There are a lot of people wanting to downsize from their 4x12.
Then maybe offer a bit of cash on top of the deal, depending on the brand/quality of the cab you're looking at. Better than forking out the full amount for a 4x12.

Thanks for all the repies guys. I think Im just going to go with the Splawn. After thinking about the math, it just seems like a logical choice. An Avatar 2x12 is $399+ 50 for shipping, so basically $450. The splawn is $550, plus what I figure would be around the same price for shipping. Probably around $50. So $600 for the Splawn. Thats only a $150 difference. Guess I should have looked at all this in the first place :thumbsup:

KentC":1umv6dsj said:
Thanks for all the repies guys. I think Im just going to go with the Splawn. After thinking about the math, it just seems like a logical choice. An Avatar 2x12 is $399+ 50 for shipping, so basically $450. The splawn is $550, plus what I figure would be around the same price for shipping. Probably around $50. So $600 for the Splawn. Thats only a $150 difference. Guess I should have looked at all this in the first place :thumbsup:
Yeah, Just got a used splawn 212 a few months back and the guy had only owned it for a few months so it was basically new. If im not mistaken I paid $475 shipped for the cab so if you do some searching you may find used ones at some good prices. Mine had the the SB 25'S which I personally did not like at all. I changed mine to to one V30/scumback H75.

Back