AX8 vs FX8 Effects comparison

faisalbaig

I can't find a comparison list of effects available on the AX8 and FX8.
I own a Marshall JVM410h and while i'd like to run 4CM with the head, for gigging i'd rather just carry a floor unit.

I could also get away with running the AX8 for fx only in the loop, but concerned about tone suck.
Is tone suck something which only happens in 4CM ?
The Helix is also a contender....

Would appreciate your thoughts.

ps: Fractal should have given 4 exp pedal outs on the FX8 as well. Considering its an FX only unit, more exp pedals would be very useful. Am attracted to the AX8 for this feature.

Cheers guys!
Faisal

faisalbaig":2d20bizn said:
I can't find a comparison list of effects available on the AX8 and FX8.
I own a Marshall JVM410h and while i'd like to run 4CM with the head, for gigging i'd rather just carry a floor unit.

I could also get away with running the AX8 for fx only in the loop, but concerned about tone suck.
Is tone suck something which only happens in 4CM ?
The Helix is also a contender....

Would appreciate your thoughts.

ps: Fractal should have given 4 exp pedal outs on the FX8 as well. Considering its an FX only unit, more exp pedals would be very useful. Am attracted to the AX8 for this feature.

Cheers guys!
Faisal
I run the 4cm with the FX8 and there is absolutely no tone suck. Tone suck also depends whether your loop is transparent to begin with. I don't know much about the AX8 as far as FX though.

Well the FX8 is really optimised for 4CM and would be the absolute best option.
But as i mentioned, i do need modelling for live shows, therefore the dilemma.....

FX8 is perfect for the JVM. Using midi you can choose any mode of any channel. For the 410 (I have a 210) that would be 16 tones plus dual masters, reverb on/off, loop on/off available with one touch. Why would you need modelling?

The FX8 is designed to run in 4CM. And it is the best on the market for just that. It is completely transparent. Cliff has stated that if your wanting to run 4CM go with the FX8 over the AX8. I gotta say though, for live use I still prefer my G-System. I prefer the overall design and layout. The FX8 is superior sonically but not enough to overcome the G-System's superior layout. But if your needing a modeler too then the AX8 is probably the way to go.

faisalbaig":3b4ok52q said:
For live shows where i don't want to lug a stack.....
Grab an AMT F1. Killer clean Fender preamp. It has an effects loop so you can run it "like" 4 cable. Then you can use the onboard OD's/Dirt for various gain sounds. I am serisouly considering this. I have a Kemper and don;t NEED another modeler. I also have a pretty extensive pedalboard but the FX8 just seems awesome.

Back