Axe FX. Do not want.

JTyson":1m6w33qo said:
+2, I'll stick with my old beat up Marshalls, and a few newer ones ;)

+1. Absolutely no interest in an Axe FX at all. Not a slag on it by any means, just not for me. :no:

danyeo":xk4hfkbe said:
steve_k":xk4hfkbe said:
I had to get one and was thinking of using it for FX only. I ran it between my amps' preamp and power stages and tried it using the AFX's preamp. It is way to sterile for live use and I haven't even bothered programming a patch yet. It has 256 presets on it that are more than enough to muck around with. What I have ended up using it for is to leave it in the office and I plug straight into powered Alesis studio monitors and use it for practicing at the house. Since I don't leave even a small portion of my rig set up as it is being moved all the time, it does come in handy for that. As for a multi-FX unit, it is pretty damned good. I would rather just use the presets and practice rather than spend the time with patches. The manual is pretty feckin usles and obscure. I have had it about 2 weeks now and have used it for about an hour or two. Can't find the tubes in it though :confused:

Steve

Did you turn off the cab sims when you ran it into your Effects loop?
That's what I was wondering too. But when you're running it that way, you not only need to turn off the cab sims, but you need to adjust everything after you eliminate the cab. You can't run the axe fx into a tube power amp or power section of another amp and use the presets. It simply sounds shitty. What you need to do is go into the chain, eliminate everything in it, start with an amp and tweak that amp, then start adding effects if you want them. The presets have shit loads of effect programed into them. Some of them sound good through SS equipment, but overall, I think the presets, even with SS power, are unusable.

The best thing to have when somebody buys an Axe Fx, is to get on the phone with somebody who has some experience with one. If I hadn't had anybody to get me started, I might have thrown the Axe Fx out the window. But 15 minutes on the phone and I was dialing in tones that I was very happy with. An hour after that I was pretty much doing anything I wanted to do (basics anyway).

Rob Tahan":1d5gy0k8 said:
I played 2 of them...

...then i played the Diezel herbert...

..end of story. ;)
Good on ya, but that goes the other way as well...I take the Axe Fx over any channel switcher.

J.B.":2xxo26av said:
The best thing to have when somebody buys an Axe Fx, is to get on the phone with somebody who has some experience with one. If I hadn't had anybody to get me started, I might have thrown the Axe Fx out the window. But 15 minutes on the phone and I was dialing in tones that I was very happy with. An hour after that I was pretty much doing anything I wanted to do (basics anyway).

"Hello, this is Prandeep, I will be your AxeFx support person this morning. In what way may I assist you ???" :LOL: :LOL:

J.B. is right though. The plug and play options would probably not appeal to anyone round here, its critical to just start with a single amp and go from there.

Shiny_Surface":2x38vnge said:
Telephant":2x38vnge said:
C'mon, somebody had to say it.... :gethim:

:LOL: :LOL:

Yeah but whats funnier is that Tele felt the need to start an entirely new thread about it :LOL: :LOL: something in that indicates he's secretly off to the side jonesing for one :yes:

Even funnier is that there are now more AxeFx threads on Rig-talk than anywhere on the interwebz with the exeption of that actual Fractal / AxeFx Forum.... :confused:

* velcro-fly *":1ap8wa0m said:
Even funnier is that there are now more AxeFx threads on Rig-talk than anywhere on the interwebz with the exeption of that actual Fractal / AxeFx Forum.... :confused:

Umm...that's probably why he started the thread. :LOL: :LOL:

Can't have 100% praise all the time, it's not natural.

I'm gonna make some people hate me:

though I have no interest in having an axe-fx (i'm impatient about getting tone), people around the forums who slag it are sometimes the same people who play multi-thousand dollar rigs and go through countless amp/tube/pickup/etc configurations when they see others hype the product in search of the elusive perfect tone. all I'm sayin is that basically everyone here is insane \:D/

degenaro":2w5q585i said:
Rob Tahan":2w5q585i said:
I played 2 of them...

...then i played the Diezel herbert...

..end of story. ;)
Good on ya, but that goes the other way as well...I take the Axe Fx over any channel switcher.

I'd take the axe fx, and a good vht power amp through a cab over a diezel halfstack (it'd be cheaper - and it'd probably sound just as good to me)

I used to be into triaxis and rack units that you can tweak to hell although I set up a tone and never changed it.

2 things here.
1. People who go through pups/speakers/tubes like crazy to make it perfect ARE tweakers in my book and it has no diffference than a guy who goes tweak crazy on axefx
2. After all these years I wouldn't change that tube amp through 4x12 ROAR to anything on earth. GUITAR>CABLE>AMP>CAB. DONE.

Marshall Freak":2rovj0nk said:
I think it's cool, but I'm too retarded for it, I'm NOT a tweaker. I can handle an XTC, MkIV, etc, but that's my limit.

even mesa mark series are more than i like. never been impressed with any of those either

What I would love to see is the AxFx combined with a atomic 6l6 driven power amp in a head .
put 20 or 25 of the Best most versatile amp models in there and the basic fx .
Simple knob based interface for the amps .and the studio mode with all the Power amp settings and mic placement .
That way the LIVE guy has a midi programmable tube head with Great front end models that he does not have to tweak .
But the options to shape the power amp and mic placement is where you need it in the recording parameter ..

my 2 cents .and I would be very intrested ij spending $2000 on that .

While I personally have no desire for the AxeFX, I do see where it would be extremely useful to some players.

After being in shipping since April 16th, mine just arrived 5 minutes ago on May 4th 9:45am est....lol.
Airmail Express....glad I wasn't on that flight :LOL: :LOL:

Mark

samhill":2z84v8sn said:
After being in shipping since April 16th, mine just arrived 5 minutes ago on May 4th 9:45am est....lol.
Airmail Express....glad I wasn't on that flight :LOL: :LOL:

Mark

Looks like you've had it awhile, is it a keeper? :D

Back