Back on stage? Update 1

I would do that in a heart beat. It’s work but that group of songs are bad ass. Sky is the limit with that singer.

Do it man!!! I'm 53 as well and not just playing guitar in a band, for the first tine in my life I'm singing too. Myself and two of my buddies decided to do a band with all originals and we have been practicing and writing for years and finally might have our first gig soon.

Life is too short and while I can play, I need to do this. I made us a logo and are getting stickers made, shirts, etc and going to completely do it big. At the end of the day our main priority is having fun and we are going to play whrn we feel like it.

Great songs there btw!!

Do it! I'm playing in a cover band (later in life) and love it. Know there are a shit-ton of killer fucking 1x12 combo's out there.

Don't need a 4x12 and head bro. Club owners don't stand for that shit anymore.

well the first rehearsal is in the books. it went really well

we tore through these fairly easily.

AIC - We Die Young
KISS- Love Gun
OZZY- I don't want to stop
Steel Dragon- Livin the Life
Ratt- Lay It Down

we are still on the fence about one or two guitarists. I have always been a one guitar band type of guy; however, given the material we are going to be doing, my vote was to add another. the bassist is also a great guitarist. so now we are looking for a bassist. Our singers know quite a few

to be continued.

by the way, I appreciate all the feedback on this thread.

Opportunities to play live these days are SO limited. And you are correct that none of us are getting younger. I would jump on this opportunity and ride it as far as possible. Yes, it’s work, free time, and some PIA factor - but we are not too far off from those opportunities just flat not being available anymore. Period.

every once in a while, I think about playing out. remembering the good times, bad times and the ugly times...the thought quickly passes. :yes:

I played my first paying gig at 14 years old, and my last at 32. Kinda got it out of my system while I had the time, interest and energy to do it.

good for you if you do it, see how it goes then decide.

IMO
Played my first at 14 as well. Played my last at 48, in fact the last two years I played out we did over a 160 shows. To say I was whooped was an understatement.

I'd still love to do a cover band but strictly for fun a few weekends here or there but slagging around playing all originals, those days are long gone.

I miss it sometimes doubt but I actually miss the camaraderie (often times rare) of a good band more than anything. I loved creating, rehearsing and recording as much as I liked playing live.

But if you still have the drive @guitarnate2000, go for it. Have no regrets for sure. Also, my first band when I was young was two guitars. Enter Randy Rhoads and it would be 25 years before I played live with another guitarists. The last band I was in, two guitars and I loved it. We had a great time. We'd always close our set of originals with a cover tune and we could do pretty much anything from Billy Idol to AIC to Foo Fighters to AC/DC. Wished I had played with another guitarist in some of my other bands looking back.

Last edited:
To be totally transparent. this is the first band I will be playing with and totally alcohol free. today marks my 598th day, Cali sober. I went to rehab two years ago and have not looked back. That has been a reservation I have had about stepping onstage again.

I don't have a problem drinking at all. The man I turn into when I drink sure as fuck does though. I was totally transparent with the guys. I told them as far as I am concerned they can suck jello shots out of each others assholes, just don't push a bottle my way, ever.

after this first rehearsal, I fell mucho fucking better about the entire situation..

To be totally transparent. this is the first band I will be playing with and totally alcohol free. today marks my 598th day, Cali sober. I went to rehab two years ago and have not looked back. That has been a reservation I have had about stepping onstage again.

I don't have a problem drinking at all. The man I turn into when I drink sure as fuck does though. I was totally transparent with the guys. I told them as far as I am concerned they can suck jello shots out of each others assholes, just don't push a bottle my way, ever.

after this first rehearsal, I fell mucho fucking better about the entire situation..
Hey man, nothing wrong with sobering up dude. If I had to do it, I absolutely would. Thankfully i haven't had a problem but if I did, I'd hope I would stop as confidently as you. Drinking isn't life and this band adventure is even a better outlet now that you said that.

I've done Top 40, Classic Rock, Punk, and a mix in bands since 85'. The band I'm in now is all original, with the exception of a song or two. At 53, I became a Dolly Parton as my wife says, and just started writing songs like hotcakes. Not only guitar but the lyrics and singing them. Songs about being old, anxiety, monster movies, etc. It will be fun and don't even care about pay, etc. Just jamming with friends and being in a band is fun.

Hey man, nothing wrong with sobering up dude. If I had to do it, I absolutely would. Thankfully i haven't had a problem but if I did, I'd hope I would stop as confidently as you. Drinking isn't life and this band adventure is even a better outlet now that you said that.

I've done Top 40, Classic Rock, Punk, and a mix in bands since 85'. The band I'm in now is all original, with the exception of a song or two. At 53, I became a Dolly Parton as my wife says, and just started writing songs like hotcakes. Not only guitar but the lyrics and singing them. Songs about being old, anxiety, monster movies, etc. It will be fun and don't even care about pay, etc. Just jamming with friends and being in a band is fun.
you know.. Isn't it funny how lyrics seem more meaningful when you are in your 50's? people actually listen to the words lol.. yea I could write 5 cds worth of life experience related shit alone

you know.. Isn't it funny how lyrics seem more meaningful when you are in your 50's? people actually listen to the words lol.. yea I could write 5 cds worth of life experience related shit alone
Oh yeah! We have a song about being a rocker Dad and one line says:
"I Fail to Sleep, Sad Movies Make Me Weep,
It Hurts to Pee, or Maybe It's Just Me"
🤣🤣🤣

good for you bro....my best friend fought that demon for years.

So I received an offer to play in a cover band here in Houston. The singer is really good. actually did some demos for me ten years ago. The setlist is pretty cool too. and I offered 5 or 6 tunes that I'd want to play if I joined. They happily accepted.

Problem is. I really want to play live again, but I am not sure if I lost my drive and energy level to do it at the level that I play at. not to mention if I don't use a modeler, then my rig is again, a heavy tube amp and 4x12 cabinet, at minimum, plus two guitars and my pedal board.

It eats at me that I have not in a few years. The last two bands I played in were ok. the very last one was a cover band and I NEVER should have accepted that slot. it was more of a solid for the singer. After the first gig, I flat out told them I had to stop. When they asked why, I mentioned that their setlist sucked. playing songs that compliment the singers voice. Songs, that had been beat to death by every cover band for decades. I left the stage with a very sour taste in my mouth.

Now I have a situation to play with these guys. I am 53 so I am not getting any younger. This may indeed be my last chance to jump in an already formed pretty darn good band. I am going to try it out and see how far it goes. I think..

first rehearsal is next week

These are what we are covering week one

AIC - We Die Young
KISS- Love Gun
OZZY- I don't want to stop
Steel Dragon- Livin the Life
Ratt- Lay It Down
Scorpions- Blackout
Alice Cooper- Feed My Frankenstein

I will let you guys know how it goes.

To be continued
Good luck