BBE Sonic Maximizer

jinxedprophet

Ok messed with one yesterday at a local guitar shop defenatly noticed a diference in sound i kinda liked it . Seems like it brought out the upper mids or someting just more articulate or sometime any one else use one pro's or con's to it . The store said it will be on sale today if I wanted it .

You just opened yourself up for a flamefest :LOL: :LOL:

The truth is they work great for some and not so great for others. If you like what it does, buy one and enjoy it! I personally like them for certain applications. They sound great with some amps and horrible with others.

Soon this thread will be filled with people saying it kills your tone, sucks your mids, it's just an eq, sounds digital... bla bla bla...

If you like it, use it.

I like it with a heavily processed sound, but it kind of kills the feel of a more 'traditional' amp setup, IMO. Sterilizes it a bit. That's not a bad thing if you are going for that sound, so it's certainly preference.

LordOVchaoS":3m5kduq1 said:
You just opened yourself up for a flamefest :LOL: :LOL: .
Soon this thread will be filled with people saying it kills your tone, sucks your mids, it's just an eq, sounds digital... bla bla bla...

:LOL: :LOL: So true. The corksniffers will be here any minute :gethim:

I've used the plugin version with the Axe-fx for my recordings... Usually only kick it up to around 9 o'clock. I also have the rackmount bbe that I've never used with the axefx live. Doesnt really need it for my live setup.

Motorpud":1p61wbeg said:
LordOVchaoS":1p61wbeg said:

Im here now! :D

that thing is a nightmare for guitar use. it sucks the mids out , screws with your phase, adds compression, makes your tube amp sound more solid state, etc etc, blah, hate, blah, hate...

Run in the opposite direction if your goal is having a good tone, some people like overly processed less natural sounds, if that your bag get it while its on sale.

I just sold a rack version and a pedal version because I hadn't used them in over a year. Once I started playing louder I didn't like them as much. At lower volumes I thought they were useful.

Jack Napalm":13vcs4ly said:
I just sold a rack version and a pedal version because I hadn't used them in over a year. Once I started playing louder I didn't like them as much. At lower volumes I thought they were useful.

Bedroom. :thumbsup:

Practice. :confused:

Gig :cry: :aww: :no: :bleh: :emofag: :emofag: :jerkit: :hys:

moltenmetalburn":3fk5bqbv said:
Motorpud":3fk5bqbv said:
LordOVchaoS":3fk5bqbv said:

that thing is a nightmare for guitar use. it sucks the mids out , screws with your phase, adds compression, makes your tube amp sound more solid state, etc etc, blah, hate, blah, hate...

Run in the opposite direction if your goal is having a good tone, some people like overly processed less natural sounds, if that your bag get it while its on sale.

our new elected chairman of cork sniffing! couldnt have said it better myself! :hys:

zslane-albums-miscellaneous-picture15404-iza-cork-sniffr.jpg

BBE Sonic Maximisers are the musical equivalent of a turd polisher. Except they turn organic shit into sterile junk.

I speak from first-hand experience.... :doh:

petejt":f6ad200k said:
BBE Sonic Maximisers are the musical equivalent of a turd polisher. Except they turn organic shit into sterile junk.

I speak from first-hand experience.... :doh:

Apparently they're really good for drum recording. :LOL: :LOL:

moltenmetalburn":2bbt8u6s said:
Motorpud":2bbt8u6s said:
LordOVchaoS":2bbt8u6s said:

+1 for the sniffer club :LOL: :LOL:

I've heard the older BBE's sound better, less compressed and brittle sounding; ala the 422. I like the idea of the BBE but I think it flattens the sound to much. It removes some of the dynamics but if your music calls for it then it's a good thing, ie Children of Bodom. I run a Furman PQ-3 in the loop of my 5150 combo; to me the amp sounds weak and thin with out it now. I don't run anything higher than 3db's on the EQ's., so it's not like I'm boosting a lot.

I think there are better options and depending on the price, I would have gotten one if I didn't have my Furman.

:rock:

I have an Aphex Guitar Exciter that does a similar thing, but doesnt sound so mechanical and overpowering.

Back