belden 9778...lol!

Purpleibby

Ok, first looked into this years ago(see the thread how long ago it was) here from Dave recommending but it was impossible/expensive to get as you had to buy it from overseas or in huge quantities of it....here it is 8-9 years later...same shit lol. Any easier way to try some of this cable?,I'm very curious to try some.

Did a quick search online and they are indeed difficult to source.
Gonna grab a set as well.
I’m currently using Mogami w2524 wire with neutrik connectors but gonna give these Beldens a shot.
I’ve used belden cables in the past for integrating audio gear and they were solid.

Did a quick search online and they are indeed difficult to source.
Gonna grab a set as well.
I’m currently using Mogami w2524 wire with neutrik connectors but gonna give these Beldens a shot.
I’ve used belden cables in the past for integrating audio gear and they were solid.
Hell yeah, look how many years it took. My main guitar to amp/pedal shelf pre-buffer cable has been the Sommer Spirit for years....It's a great cable but I feel maybe it might be a little too low capacitance for the tones I'm trying to achieve. I'll post back my findings.

Hell yeah, look how many years it took. My main guitar to amp/pedal shelf pre-buffer cable has been the Sommer Spirit for years....It's a great cable but I feel maybe it might be a little too low capacitance for the tones I'm trying to achieve. I'll post back my findings.
Never used Sommer cables, but always hear great things about them.
Ive been using Mogami 2524 wire for as long as I can remember, so i'm curious how the 9778 will compare.

Ok, got them and spent some time with them...and the verdict is I like it, a lot haha. You'd think with it being higher capacitance it would be darker...but it just sweetens it(which is exactly what I wanted), while opening up the mids...so it tricks you, somehow it's not darker.

I would say:
sweetens the highs
opens up the mids/more natural sounding
tightens the bass, but punchier...(This is compared to Sommer which has a slightly enhanced bass response)

And this is a 20 ft...my Sommer is 18 ft which is where I usually like to top out at... It's awesome, new fav./main cable...Sommer Spirit will go post buffer now.

"
Gents I have found a good source and have purchased one. Anxious to try it out...I'll report back when I give it ago. Made with Belden 9778. Here's the link:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...s-20-input-cable-straight-to-straight-20-foot
i wouldnt buy anything from vertex / Mason if it was free.

he it the epitome of snake oil sales as well well as LITERALLY rebadging gear and selling it as his own work back when he was starting out, then he had the balls to deny it and lately calls it fake news in youtube comments on his channel. it is my understanding that at one point he also claimed to have an EE degree from a school that didnt offer them.

another rumor is that he is the one that threatened to sue TGP and another forum bc of threads calling him out for his nefarious behavior w the "rebranded" wah pedals.

he has since been asked by various awesome people, including our illustrious Dave Friedman. and the likes of Joe Bonamassa and John Mayer for him to stop putting their names or work product in his ads without their permission.

he represents everything wrong in the modern gear trade and treads the lines that most builders have an unspoken agreement not to tread, such as exact ripoffs of each others work as well as using names that havent given their implicit permission to use.

hows that for a rant?

hope the cords are good. and hope there are other ways to get them.

Last edited:
"

i wouldnt buy anything from vertex / Mason if it was free.

he it the epitome of snake oil sales as well well as LITERALLY rebadging gear and selling it as his own work back when he was starting out, then he had the balls to deny it and lately calls it fake news in youtube comments on his channel. it is my understanding that at one point he also claimed to have an EE degree from a school that didnt offer them.

another rumor is that he is the one that threatened to sue TGP and another forum bc of threads calling him out for his nefarious behavior w the "rebranded" wah pedals.

he has since been asked by various awesome people, including our illustrious Dave Friedman. and the likes of Joe Bonamassa and John Mayer for him to stop putting their names or work product in his ads without their permission.

he represents everything wrong in the modern gear trade and treads the lines that most builders have an unspoken agreement not to tread, such as exact ripoffs of each others work as well as using names that havent given their implicit permission to use.

hows that for a rant?

hope the cords are good. and hope there are other ways to get them.
I was at HRI when it happened....I'm an old timer. Either way, it's a well made cable with they type wire Dave recommended and I agree with him on this cable. .....I don't care about any drama, I don't want to even hear about it. If you can find a more practical way feel free to post it. I'm very happy with my purchase.

cool. well since you can hear capacitance changes via one 20 foot cord, you must have magic ears. unless you are redoing all your patches and runs w this cable, its all in your head.

cool. well since you can hear capacitance changes via one 20 foot cord, you must have magic ears. unless you are redoing all your patches and runs w this cable, its all in your head.
You CAN hear it and there ain't no magic....it's with 46 year old ears with tinnitus that's been blasting loud metal/rock music his whole life. Pre-buffer IT DOES matter that's where you'll hear it the most, that's where you do the tone shaping....after the buffer, yes I still do have nice cable but it's not as critical. This isn't cork sniffer bs...this is HIGHER capacitance cable....and you will hear it. Dave's right.

Last edited:
Ok, got them and spent some time with them...and the verdict is I like it, a lot haha. You'd think with it being higher capacitance it would be darker...but it just sweetens it(which is exactly what I wanted), while opening up the mids...so it tricks you, somehow it's not darker.

I would say:
sweetens the highs
opens up the mids/more natural sounding
tightens the bass, but punchier...(This is compared to Sommer which has a slightly enhanced bass response)

And this is a 20 ft...my Sommer is 18 ft which is where I usually like to top out at... It's awesome, new fav./main cable...Sommer Spirit will go post buffer now.
So you need both the input and the output cable?

So you need both the input and the output cable?
The pre-buffer(or pre-dirt box if your OD is your buffer etc.) cable is where the most tone difference/tweaking can be made, when signal is still high impedance. After it's converted to low impedance it's not really as much of a factor. Basically if you were going guitar-cable-amp with nothing between....THAT cable would shape your sound....after the buffer it doesn't matter as much. Low capacitance cables aren't always what works best, depends on what you're going for.

Last edited:
The pre-buffer(or pre-dirt box if your OD is your buffer etc.) cable is where the most tone difference/tweaking can be made, when signal is still high impedance. After it's converted to low impedance it's not really as much of a factor. Basically if you were going guitar-cable-amp with nothing between....THAT cable would shape your sound....after the buffer it doesn't matter as much. Low capacitance cables aren't always what works best, depends on what you're going for.
Thanks man!!

Back