best 15" speaker for guitar use

trashedlostfdup

whenever i get around to it (which seems like it is just getting pushed out and out and further out) i am going to build a few cabs. i have four sheets of baltic birch on hand (i got them really cheap because i have a friend who is a cabinet builder by trade). i already have two 1x12"s cut out (open back), have two more 1x12"s to cut out that will be somewhat over-sized sealed cabinets. i will be making two 1x10 and two 2x10 and was pondering a 1x15" cab or two. the rest will go to 2x12"s (i have a lot of speakers and am gutting out some cabs as well).

what is the best 15" speaker for a guitar? the one i have now is a 2x12+1x15" cab that Randall used to make is an eminence legend. are there better options?

it would most always be paired with 12"s or something.

I'm assuming you're into rock or metal, in which case the the Eminence Big Ben sounds real good. I personally don't like any of the Eminence Legends except with very 'buzzy' amplifiers, like the 5150. The Big Ben is closer to a classic mid-focused speaker than the Legend series.

Legends rule once they are broken in.
I concur they sound terrible new, also at low volumes.
It seems as if the louder you crank them, the sweeter they get.

I'm not a big fan of 15" for anything other than clean or slightly dirty tones. They simply don't work well for heavy fast, tight, percussive playing because the cone has to travel too far and can't keep up.
That said, the can sound huge for roots and blues styles that don't require the speaker to be quite as "agile".

Back