Best Boost Pedal

Friedman Buxom Boost. Mid & bass boosts, treble boost/cut, toggle switch to bypass the EQ. The best part is the Tight knob. Lots of clean gain. 9-18V for more headroom. Can also be used as an underdrive because the gain goes below unity.
I use it a lot for clean tones, I do a lot of clean palm-muting and this plus a Walrus Mira compressor makes it tight and percussive.
I also use it with a Horizon Devices Precision Drive to shape the frequencies that are pushing the high gain tube amp.
Resize_20221011_140410_0609.jpg

I like Maxon OD-9 but have loved the Boss SD-1 40th Anniversary pedal. It has been on my board for a long time and I love it. I have no GAS for a new overdrive pedal but I would love to try the Friedman Buxom Boost someday.

I've been using an EQ pedal for boost, currently Source Audio EQ2; I recently pre-ordered the new Ibanez 5-band parametric EQ, and may get another Boss SD-1 (haven't had one in 10+ years)

I'm partial to the Xotic RC Booster. It's quite flexible as either a proper clean boost with 2-band EQ, Tubescreamer style boost, or overdrive. The Xotic BB Preamp is runner up but I switched to the RC since it alters the core tone a bit less.

Both of these won out against the Maxon OD808, TC Integrated Preamp, and Pepers Dirty Tree for my purposes (clean boost with some bass rolloff).

Not trying to hijack the thread but I need a distortion pedal. I’m covered with boosts. Would that tc pre scratch my itch? I had a suhr riot reloaded but it just didn’t do it for me.
There is just so many of them out there. I don't use a Distortion pedal often. But some amps and sound just need one.

I have always liked the RAT and OCD. I see these as the most common. They just sound good.

As for distortion pedals that have blown me away.... The KHDK No.1 has done it several times. I don't see it mentioned often. It has allowed me to shape the sound of very different amps beyond my expectations. Worth checking out if you get a chance.

It depends on which amp I’m using.
Suhr PT-100: Keeley/Lynch “Mr.Scary” OD
Bogner Helios: Majik Box “Rocket Fuel”, or a Metropolous “Supa Boost”
Fender Super Reverb: Trombetta-modded “Kush” OD

Koko Boost V1

Friedman Buxom boost, with the Koko boost if I wanna boost just mids.

I've found many of the popular ones work well in the right context. I run boosts with my deliverance, 5150, mark V, & badlander anywhere from clean to screaming lead or chug city.

• I've got a Browne Carbon (blues breaker) that's great for adding just a little compression & hair to clean to mid gain sounds.
  • J Rockett Archer (klon) is pretty versatile, it works well slamming a driven amp with the volume or cranking the drive into a cleaner sound.
  • Griffin Analog Boris (ds1) adds a great nasty grind & tightens up low end on higher gain sounds
  • Suhr Koko is a good transparent boost for high gain applications, I like using the low-mid boost sparingly

Koko Boost v1 and good old ts9

Boss SD1
Koko Boost V1

I'd 2nd the OG KOKO Boost.

I have run through so many boosts and OD's that I can't even count them. Still have 8 variations, but at the end of the day, the SD1, original KoKo, and a TS9 will do everything I need just by switching them up depending on the amp.

Original 2 button Suhr Koko boost
Wizard Leopard

Why...becasue of the dozens I've tried, these two sound the best.

Wow. I think I'm sold on getting one of those original two button Suhr Koko Boosts!

I like my maxon od808 the most out of every boost i've tried. The regular old sd-1 ain't bad either.

Wow. I think I'm sold on getting one of those original two button Suhr Koko Boosts!
To be such a simple concept, I was really impressed with how good it sounded into the front end of my 5150, deliverance, & badlander. I run the levels pretty low and use both switches for a little bit of push when I want it.

To be such a simple concept, I was really impressed with how good it sounded into the front end of my 5150, deliverance, & badlander. I run the levels pretty low and use both switches for a little bit of push when I want it.
And when you flip the mid switch to the slightly scooped mid setting its kills..uuuuber tight.....sounded great in both a Block and Fireball I've had.

VFE standout - more subtle, my favourite for modded Marshalls that don’t reallly need much of a push you just want to tweak the sound of the input slightly

Dirty Tree - brutal, clanky. Sounds good for 8 strings

I probably need to try out a lot more pedals but for me it depends on the amp.

Maxon 808 ahd SD1 are usually my favorites.

Deadweald Duality DX- besides one of my favorites I consider Daniel a good friend.

Maxon OD808- classic for a reason.

VFE Standout

Love love the friedman buxom boost with a splawn.

I like Klon clones too. Just a little bit more of what you like about your amp.

I just got a TS9. I'm not really using much Analog stuff these days. I've actually never used a TS9. Need to take it out of the box and try

And when you flip the mid switch to the slightly scooped mid setting its kills..uuuuber tight.....sounded great in both a Block and Fireball I've had.
Yeah, damn... that Koko Boost V1 will definitely be my next purchase (y)

I probably need to try out a lot more pedals but for me it depends on the amp.

Maxon 808 ahd SD1 are usually my favorites.
Yeah, the Maxon OD808 and Boss SD-1 have literally always been what I've used. I've never tried a Klon for example. Tempted to try a Chiron.

After years of OD pedal rabbit holes I've gone back to an SD1 and a Blues Driver. I feel drive pedals don't differentiate in sound as much as delay/reverb or modulation pedals so I've dug out of one rabbit hole and dove in to another..😫

Back