Best Newman 6CA7?

napalmdeath":3fv50cuz said:
midnightlaundry":3fv50cuz said:
psychodave":3fv50cuz said:
I like the JJ 6CA7’s and EH 6CA7’s. However they sound nothing like the Sylvania 6CA7’s. I’m squirlling away two nice quads of the Sylvania’s. They seem to be fetching close to $800 a quad these days.

Even tho the JJ's are Beam Pentodes, they are still more articulate and punchy compared to the JJ EL34L which is decidedly looser in sound and feel.

Do you like the EH's better? Th ye seem to be Pentodes as well..
https://www.tube-town.net/info/datenbla ... ehel34.jpg

I suppose it's subjective. I've never found the JJ 6CA7's more "punchy" than the E34L. More bass? A little, yes. Tighter? No way, I'd say warmer, and bigger. Never heard their E34L described as loose, ever. 6CA7 More articulate? Again, I say no. Maybe equal. I find their KT77 the most articulate of their EL34 family. No contest. It's a killer tube.

I find that all 3 have their place. For brighter amps the need some warmth/thump, 6CA7. For a general purpose, EL34 with a bit more headroom, and punch, E34L. For an aggressive sounding amp that you want a little more aggression, KT77. I put a pair in my Thrasher 50, and they made an already aggressive amp, utterly pissed off. I've made no secrets about my love for JJ KT77's. I ran them in DSL's, JVM's, JSX's, Laneys, and others. I may go 6CA7's in brighter Marshalls, but I by no means find them more articulate.

EH6CA7's, I found brighter than JJ's, but what New Sensor product isn't?

I agree with a lot of this.

I’m not a big fan of any JJ tubes and I have them all in my stash, EL34, EL34II, E34L, KT77 and 6CA7. That said, I loved the JJ 6CA7’s in a Cameron modded Marshall I had years ago.

I also agree the EH tubes are brighter than the JJ offerings.

Since you mention JJ KT77’s, have you ever tried the gold lion KT77’s? I prefer them a lot more than the JJ’s.

Back