Boost pedal, any recommendations?

shadow070

Hi,

I just got the BB preamp, im running it trough the clean channel and get a amazing low gain, pushed tone.Now i want to boost my channel 2 to get a front end pushed vibe, do any of you use a clean boost and if so, what would you reccomend me?

Thanks,
Robert

I am actually really interested in trying out the Source Audio ZIO Boost. Check out Pete Thorn's video. definitly like the Low-Cut feature

Im using the Herbert

Today im expecting the Xotic SL-Drive to arrive, cant wait to A/B it with the BB preamp.
Herbert owner here. I'm very happy with Horizon Devices Precision Drive. It can be dial to be very subtle and retains all of the Herbert character with a little more tightness on bottom end, or it can be dialled to be more like regular tube screamer. To be honest I think herbert sounds great on it's own, There isn't real need to use pedal. Nevertheless I use Precision Drive occasionally (to make amp almost too tight). With other booster pedals (mostly tube-screamer or Boss OD variations) I felt that they making sound smaller and cheaper than amp on it's own(because amp already sounds great and it's hard to beat that)

Last edited:
Herbert owner.

I dig either the PlxFx Bion boost, it’s a treble booster that’s like a Rangemaster clone with some tweaks.

Also use the EQD Plumes, that’s more of a TS but with some added stuff.

Really like them both with that amp.

The BB preamp is a killer add on!

Im using it only on channel 1. I get the smooth low gain and pushed tone inwas looking for with a better accent in the mid freq.

As a boost, I didn’t even try it yet. But to be honest I’m good with the clean and the low gain BB tone I have now.

Im not playing metal anymore but still I’m so happy with the Herbert!!!!!

Thanks for the tips btw, I’ll have a look at them.

I try to avoid using boosts or any kind of push-the-tone pedal, but the Xotic BB Pre is a very sweet sounding pedal.

But for the record - I don't like using boosts/grit/ODs in front of any of my amps unless it's the CAL Mk.4:23Pro clean boost - and that is solely a mega transparent crystalline pixie dust boost pedal....used sparingly.

Im using the Herbert

Today im expecting the Xotic SL-Drive to arrive, cant wait to A/B it with the BB preamp.
Hi there! Just last night I tried that pedal with my diezel vh4 and didn't really jive with the amp, for me at least. I felt like it compressed the low end too much. Ive been looking for a Marshall-in-a box sound to mix with my vh4. By the way, this was in front of the amp not in the preamp.

I still love the TS9 On my Herberts . It allows me to push the amp harder then tighten it up .I’ve tried lots but still love my ts9.

I had the TC Electronic Spark mini. It is very reliable and of course, has a tiny footprint. Killer little pedal. If board space is an issue, definitely consider that one

Back