Boss SD-1 Early 80’s *Found one*

SQUAREHEAD

Looking to buy a very early 80s Boss SD-1 with JRC4558D chip or even better, a JRC4558C.
I found one with a JRC4558DD chip and someone told me it’s not as good as the ‘D’ or ‘C’ chip…
If someone can talk some sense into me that they are the same or whatever, it will put my mind at ease😂😉

Last edited:
Looking to buy a very early 80s boss SD-1 with JRC4558D chip.
I found one with a JRC4558DD chip and someone told me it’s not as good as the ‘D’ chip…
If someone can talk some sense into me that they are the same or whatever, it will put my mind at ease😂😉
I have one from Japan, let me crack it open today. I actually prefer the cheapo Taiwan one lol

No offense to anyone who loves the MIJ ones but yeah...this is one of the most snake oil things in guitar pedals. I had both at the same time. Turning your high/mid knob 1/110th of an inch on your amp will make more of an EQ difference.

Yep, it’s the old story of reading too much on the Internet, especially for someone like me who’s never owned any of these SD-1 pedals.

No offense to anyone who loves the MIJ ones but yeah...this is one of the most snake oil things in guitar pedals. I had both at the same time. Turning your high/mid knob 1/110th of an inch on your amp will make more of an EQ difference.
Maybe yours was modded? My 86 that cost me 60 bucks has more clarity and just plain sounds better than the 'flat' sound the MIT version gives. It's all good; maybe you prefer that sound and it doesn't sound bad at all. But to my ears it's like a completely different pedal than the MiJ version I have. Very obvious difference to my ears.

I've heard of these with the 4558D, but never seen a picture of it.

I have two that date to June 1981, and they have the NEC 4558C chip. And I have a third from July 1985 with the JRC4558DD.

There are other component differences as well, so to the extent someone thought they sound different (I don't), it might not be the chip.

Maybe yours was modded? My 86 that cost me 60 bucks has more clarity and just plain sounds better than the 'flat' sound the MIT version gives. It's all good; maybe you prefer that sound and it doesn't sound bad at all. But to my ears it's like a completely different pedal than the MiJ version I have. Very obvious difference to my ears.
Yeah, it's probably just personal preference. I know it wasn't modded because I bought it brand new NOS. I actually compared them both and sold the japanese one and bought like 3 more Boss pedals, one being a Boss Digital Metalizer which sucks but I flipped for a lot more. The neverending Boss pedal flip.

right on guys, I’ll add it depends on the amp too. My plexi loves the SD-1 mit, I don’t know why . It does seem pickier about pedals. I can put anything in front of a jcm800 and they all seem to work well, just little differences with each.

right on guys, I’ll add it depends on the amp too. My plexi loves the SD-1 mit, I don’t know why . It does seem pickier about pedals. I can put anything in front of a jcm800 and they all seem to work well, just little differences with each.
Yeah, Plexi circuits seem to be very picky vs a 2203/4. I've tried some expensive pedals (VFE, Thorpy, Wizard, Airis) in front of my 72 Tremolo and it loves a 10 year old 25$ Joyo Ultimate Drive (Chinese OCD clone) best. In fact it's not even close how good that pedal makes the 72 sound vs any of the others. 2nd best is the MiJ SD1. Haha

Back