Cameron CCV transformer

scottosan":2ebox292 said:
Racerxrated":2ebox292 said:
FourT6and2":2ebox292 said:
Racerxrated":2ebox292 said:
Didn't say that.

I asked the question for a different reason. ;)

But it's pretty well known that the King Kong tries to be a CCV clone

In what ways? How do the two circuits compare/contrast?

and the Chupacabra tries to be a Cameron Jose Marshall. It's been talked about many times here.

This is why I asked what I asked. Why is it trying to be a Cameron Jose and not a Fortin Jose or a Gower Jose or just a Jose Jose? What makes it a Cameron copy and not a copy of something else?

I'm not criticizing the Ceriatone, as you seem to think I am.

Nothing wrong with a little criticism. :D

When you say the Chupacabra is a copy of a Cameron and that it's not "the real deal" and that it doesn't "add up," what exactly is that if not criticism? If you are criticizing Ceriatone that's totally cool. Don't hide from it. Might as well own it. :) But really... I'm more interested to know details about the other aspect of your comments. Especially since you seem to know the ins/outs of these circuits. I'd love if you could share some of that knowledge. How does Cameron do a Jose/Cali circuit differently than Fortin or Ceriatone or anybody else?

Put it this way. I've talked to CCV and Cam Jose owners that have sold their amps. Some have bought Chupas or King Kongs hoping to capture that amp that they regret selling. No dice.

Maybe those people were mistaken about the Chupa being a Cameron clone. And maybe that's why they were disappointed. I bought my Chupacabra, not because it is or is not a Cameron clone, but because I liked the sound of the amp on its own merits. Not because I was trying to get a cheaper version of another amp. Big difference.

I also owned a CCV. I had it side by side with a Chupacabra. Hell, I played them in stereo at one point. I don't regret selling the CCV. Never really liked it much.

Have you ever played a Cameron Jose? Or a CCV?

Yes. See above.

If so what are your thoughts on the similarities/differences? I know you have/had a Chupa, how about a King Kong? Not being condescending. Just curious. Seems to me most critics have no clue what they sound/feel like at all.

The CCV I had was dark and smooth and sounded/felt more like a Bogner than anything else. The CCV is not a Jose nor a Cali circuit. There is exactly ONE video/clip of the CCV where I think it sounds good. And that clip was the reason I bought one. But the amp didn't sound anything like it in person.
I don't have the ability to examine the circuits and compare. But, if I dug deep enough on this forum when the Chupa came out there were many discussions about how Nik bought a Cameron Jose and cloned it. Public knowledge. Same with the Kong. He bought a CCV and cloned it. Now, do I have proof? No. But I trust the people I heard it from here.

My only point with my post is if the OP wants a Cameron, wait and buy the real thing. As much as there are clones, and people swearing the clones are just as good the reality of what I've read and heard personally from actual owners of Cameron CCVs and modded Marshalls is the clones don't measure up to the Camerons in TONE, and FEEL. Maybe they aren't advertised as such but some seem to think they are the same thing. They aren't.
When you ask people who have actually owned Cameron stuff to compare to the clones, they say they are different. Way different as to not even bother comparing. Not in a bad way, just too different in TONE and FEEL to compare to a Cameron amp.
i go back to my earlier statement that the powers section is the most overlooked part of cloning. Proper choke and B+ play a huge role in the sound and feel. My #1 complaint of the Ceriatones are that I prefers higher B+ and a 3h choke. Ceriatone uses lower B+ and higher choke values

I agree in part. I also prefer higher voltages. The choke thing... Ceriatone uses both 3H and 5H. This is straight from Nik's mouth:

"We use 3, 5, and 7H chokes

For the 50W, it'd be 5H usually, although some do use 3H when we're out

Spec wise, they're same at about 120-130DCR or so, and about 130mA."

Racerxrated":18avxn2p said:
FourT6and2":18avxn2p said:
Racerxrated":18avxn2p said:
Didn't say that.

I asked the question for a different reason. ;)

But it's pretty well known that the King Kong tries to be a CCV clone

In what ways? How do the two circuits compare/contrast?

and the Chupacabra tries to be a Cameron Jose Marshall. It's been talked about many times here.

This is why I asked what I asked. Why is it trying to be a Cameron Jose and not a Fortin Jose or a Gower Jose or just a Jose Jose? What makes it a Cameron copy and not a copy of something else?

I'm not criticizing the Ceriatone, as you seem to think I am.

Nothing wrong with a little criticism. :D

When you say the Chupacabra is a copy of a Cameron and that it's not "the real deal" and that it doesn't "add up," what exactly is that if not criticism? If you are criticizing Ceriatone that's totally cool. Don't hide from it. Might as well own it. :) But really... I'm more interested to know details about the other aspect of your comments. Especially since you seem to know the ins/outs of these circuits. I'd love if you could share some of that knowledge. How does Cameron do a Jose/Cali circuit differently than Fortin or Ceriatone or anybody else?

Put it this way. I've talked to CCV and Cam Jose owners that have sold their amps. Some have bought Chupas or King Kongs hoping to capture that amp that they regret selling. No dice.

Maybe those people were mistaken about the Chupa being a Cameron clone. And maybe that's why they were disappointed. I bought my Chupacabra, not because it is or is not a Cameron clone, but because I liked the sound of the amp on its own merits. Not because I was trying to get a cheaper version of another amp. Big difference.

I also owned a CCV. I had it side by side with a Chupacabra. Hell, I played them in stereo at one point. I don't regret selling the CCV. Never really liked it much.

Yes. See above.

If so what are your thoughts on the similarities/differences? I know you have/had a Chupa, how about a King Kong? Not being condescending. Just curious. Seems to me most critics have no clue what they sound/feel like at all.

The CCV I had was dark and smooth and sounded/felt more like a Bogner than anything else. The CCV is not a Jose nor a Cali circuit. There is exactly ONE video/clip of the CCV where I think it sounds good. And that clip was the reason I bought one. But the amp didn't sound anything like it in person.
I don't have the ability to examine the circuits and compare. But, if I dug deep enough on this forum when the Chupa came out there were many discussions about how Nik bought a Cameron Jose and cloned it. Public knowledge. Same with the Kong. He bought a CCV and cloned it. Now, do I have proof? No. But I trust the people I heard it from here.

My only point with my post is if the OP wants a Cameron, wait and buy the real thing. As much as there are clones, and people swearing the clones are just as good the reality of what I've read and heard personally from actual owners of Cameron CCVs and modded Marshalls is the clones don't measure up to the Camerons in TONE, and FEEL. Maybe they aren't advertised as such but some seem to think they are the same thing. They aren't.
When you ask people who have actually owned Cameron stuff to compare to the clones, they say they are different. Way different as to not even bother comparing. Not in a bad way, just too different in TONE and FEEL to compare to a Cameron amp.

I'm PM'ing you. Gonna take this conversation private so this thread doesn't turn into a shit storm like every Cameron thread lol. :)

FourT6and2":31e1fxr0 said:
EXPcustom":31e1fxr0 said:
FourT6and2":31e1fxr0 said:

Yes. See above.

All I am going to point out is a Brad era CCV is waaaaaaay different than one of Mark's Jose modded Marshals.

Yeah, I recognize that. Never played a Cameron modified Marshall. There are maybe one or two clips I've heard that I like. One is PsychoDave's 50-watt Cameron Jose clip. But he took it down from YT. But that clip was hands down the perfect tone. Haven't really found another Cameron clip I've liked.

I bought that amp from Dave. Clips sounded awesome, but I really wasn't into that amp in person. I had a real Cameron CCV and the Brad CCV - which I think you bought from me. The two CCVs sounded pretty similar and I actually preferred the CCV to that Jose. Camerons are nice amps, but definitely not my favorite and I do think they benefit from the hype/unobtainium factor.

SpiderWars":31e1fxr0 said:
I used to work at Cigar City and brewed Hunahpu/Zhukov many times. [/hijack] :)

Can you send me the recipe? :D

mhenson42":wkmsiyn3 said:
FourT6and2":wkmsiyn3 said:
Yeah, I recognize that. Never played a Cameron modified Marshall. There are maybe one or two clips I've heard that I like. One is PsychoDave's 50-watt Cameron Jose clip. But he took it down from YT. But that clip was hands down the perfect tone. Haven't really found another Cameron clip I've liked.

I bought that amp from Dave. Clips sounded awesome, but I really wasn't into that amp in person. I had a real Cameron CCV and the Brad CCV - which I think you bought from me. The two CCVs sounded pretty similar and I actually preferred the CCV to that Jose. Camerons are nice amps, but definitely not my favorite and I do think they benefit from the hype/unobtainium factor.

Damn man, you're ruining the dream lol!!! That clip is one of my all-time favorite tones ever. And to hear you say the amp, in person, didn't sound as good is a let down. But the same thing happened with the CCV I bought from you. I saw a clip of Mark playing one at some amp show and the tone in that video was awesome. But the amp in person... meh. Nothing special.

What happened to that Jose you got from Dave? You sold it?

scottosan":1caj7qek said:
i go back to my earlier statement that the powers section is the most overlooked part of cloning. Proper choke and B+ play a huge role in the sound and feel. My #1 complaint of the Ceriatones are that I prefers higher B+ and a 3h choke. Ceriatone uses lower B+ and higher choke values

what's the role of lower henry choke (3H) ?
what's the effect on the tone and the feel ?

fyi...

Nik said, the KK's PT has a typical Super Lead 100W spec.
running 460~470v (plate voltage?? or B+?? ) which is higher than Yeti and Chupa's ~430v.

i guess KK's OT has also a traditional marshall tone which has rounded low compared to Mercury's extended / modern low.
that can be another factor for the sound.

when i hear from youtube, CCV seems very modern tone while Cameron modded marshall has vintage / rounded tone.
so i guess Mark Cameron normally mods mainly pre-amp section.

idnotbe":1e66ctmc said:
scottosan":1e66ctmc said:

what's the role of lower henry choke (3H) ?
what's the effect on the tone and the feel ?

fyi...

Nik said, the KK's PT has a typical Super Lead 100W spec.
running 460~470v (plate voltage?? or B+?? ) which is higher than Yeti and Chupa's ~430v.

i guess KK's OT has also a traditional marshall tone which has rounded low compared to Mercury's extended / modern low.
that can be another factor for the sound.

when i hear from youtube, CCV seems very modern tone while Cameron modded marshall has vintage / rounded tone.
so i guess Mark Cameron normally mods mainly pre-amp section.
the lower the Henry, the more modern the sound to my ears. A 10 Henry will be more rigid and saturated sounding and a 3h will have open more spring. Not to be confused with loose. To me more dynamic without compression.

FourT6and2":2qr859bh said:
mhenson42":2qr859bh said:
FourT6and2":2qr859bh said:

Damn man, you're ruining the dream lol!!! That clip is one of my all-time favorite tones ever. And to hear you say the amp, in person, didn't sound as good is a let down. But the same thing happened with the CCV I bought from you. I saw a clip of Mark playing one at some amp show and the tone in that video was awesome. But the amp in person... meh. Nothing special.

I sold it about a week or two later. The guy who sold (after a week or two) it actually sold it to a local friend of mine - who liked it when he played it at my house. My friend sold it not long thereafter to txmarkmusic here on RT (I think that's Mark's user name anyway). Not sure if he moved it along or what happened to it after that.

I honestly regret selling that Jose. I personally loved it. I get that it might not have been for everyone though. I only sold it because I got a CCV. I originally listed the CCV for sale before it was broken in, but after a few weeks, I really preferred my CCV over it. So I sold off the Marshall.

The only reason I took down the video. Lip was because someone was trying to sell an amp and claimed it sounded like the clip. Maybe it did, but why not post up your own clips. ;0)

With all of that said, I still love the CCV, but play my Mesa 2C++ just as much. They sound totally different and can cover almost any sound I like.

mhenson42":2aw5749t said:

FourT6and2":2aw5749t said:

psychodave":2aw5749t said:
I honestly regret selling that Jose. I personally loved it. I get that it might not have been for everyone though. I only sold it because I got a CCV. I originally listed the CCV for sale before it was broken in, but after a few weeks, I really preferred my CCV over it. So I sold off the Marshall.

The only reason I took down the video. Lip was because someone was trying to sell an amp and claimed it sounded like the clip. Maybe it did, but why not post up your own clips. ;0)

strange...

mhenson42 and FourT6and2 thought psychodave's clip was amazing.
but CCV didn't sound like the clip in person.

how can i understand it?
is there a secret setup for CCV to sound so good?

idnotbe":3fmmix0e said:
mhenson42":3fmmix0e said:

FourT6and2":3fmmix0e said:

psychodave":3fmmix0e said:

strange...

how can i understand it?
Not familiar with the clip in question but my favorite cameron clips have maple board guitars and G12H30 speakers

FourT6and2":6z06kvng said:
mhenson42":6z06kvng said:
FourT6and2":6z06kvng said:

If that is the '72 modded JMP clip where Dave is playing the red Charvel - I still have it (clip, not the amp lol...if only!) unfriggin' real tone, reference stuff, def one of the best high gain examples I've ever heard. Whomever landed that amp is hopefully getting serious mileage out of it.

Can you please PM me the clip ? He's playing a red Charvel San Dimas through I think a Cameron modded 50 watt Marshall. There was a Fortin clip too...

paulyc":3etr8791 said:
Can you please PM me the clip ? He's playing a red Charvel San Dimas through I think a Cameron modded 50 watt Marshall. There was a Fortin clip too...
I guess if Dave says it's cool, sure. It's 47 megs though, the easiest way I suppose would be to upload it to my YT page, set it to private and send you the link to download it. I'm tossing it on a usb right now and when I wake I'll see if he doesn't mind and shoot it to you in the morn. Don't have the Fortin clip, just the Cameron modded jose '72 marshall walk through vid.

scottosan":33i9fqnx said:
idnotbe":33i9fqnx said:
mhenson42":33i9fqnx said:

FourT6and2":33i9fqnx said:

psychodave":33i9fqnx said:

strange...

how can i understand it?
Not familiar with the clip in question but my favorite cameron clips have maple board guitars and G12H30 speakers
I believe the clip in question has Dave playing a Maple board Charvel thru a Marshall Blackback G12-H30 cab.

Yeah, I have that video saved as well lol. It's for sure an awesome tone. I don't play '80s stuff. But that tone would be great for many styles of music.

Crunchity":14ehtzlh said:
I guess if Dave says it's cool, sure. It's 47 megs though, the easiest way I suppose would be to upload it to my YT page, set it to private and send you the link to download it. I'm tossing it on a usb right now and when I wake I'll see if he doesn't mind and shoot it to you in the morn. Don't have the Fortin clip, just the Cameron modded jose '72 marshall walk through vid.

could you send me the clip link, too?
i am really curious what it is and why guys love it.

^^^ Have it upped and set private...just kinda want to wait and see if he comes along here and chimes in that's ok to share the link, he did pull it for a reason so lets wait a bit, he may not want it floating around for a reason!

Back