Cameron CCV transformer

idnotbe

i am going to order Ceriatone KK 100 and considering the options.
one mod i am thinking is the plate voltage switching like CCV high / low power switch (425~450v <-> 525~550v) .

1. does CCV high / low power switch need a special power transformer?
or can this mod be done with a standard marshall super lead 100w power transformer?

2. do the original CCV's PT and OT have the special "spec"s which is different to marshall's?
for ex, super lead's PT is 180-0-180 spec. then CCV is..??

3. what's the high level characteristic of CCV transformers?
for ex, high frequency cut for less fizzy in OT??

4. do you know mercury magnetics' PT and OT part number for CCV?

5. can you recommend some PT or OT, other than the original?

And the PT sounds like a dual-primary PT. It should have wires for low voltage and wires for high voltage, which go to the switch (a heavy duty one). Then the wires from the switch go to where the PT wires normally go.

I've done this with two builds so far with great sucess

contact arlyn@heyboertransformers.net
order MetroAmp spec. Power Transformer Part number 1203-80-MS

It has the dual HV taps that you need.

Then order the dual voltage switch (Newer version) from:
http://www.valvestorm.com/Products/Switches

This switch will replace your standby switch, and allow you to switch between ~425vdc (variac mode) - and ~500vdc. the Middle position will be standby

refer to this on how to wire it up
http://users.atw.hu/schfrenki/1959dual.jpg

EDIT: just notice you're asking this for a specific amp, I cannot say for certain what I posted will apply. However if your amp uses a standard marshall superlead PT then it should work

If you can get me a layout, or schematic of the KK100 I can tell you if it will work

I'm sure they'll sell you the same thing without the Cameron labeling. Or something very close to it.

LP Freak":fmzdil09 said:
Those transformers are custom made for Mark. I doubt they'll sell you one.
I think if a hobbyist orders a single Cameron CCV Spec transformer from Mercury, that will be more CCV transformers than Cameron is putting out :D

scottosan":23uz6yo5 said:
LP Freak":23uz6yo5 said:
Those transformers are custom made for Mark. I doubt they'll sell you one.
I think if a hobbyist orders a single Cameron CCV Spec transformer from Mercury, that will be more CCV transformers than Cameron is putting out :D

hahahaha!

OP, head over to the SLO Clone Forum. Some folks there probably know some details.

CrazyNutz":1o6lixuk said:

This switch will replace your standby switch, and allow you to switch between ~425vdc (variac mode) - and ~500vdc. the Middle position will be standby

oh... thank you for the valuable info~!!
could i ask a little more?

1. it seems there is no need to change the components on the board. (except the PT and the dual voltage switch)
am i right?

2. if i use the individual voltage switch (normal standby switch + another voltage mode switch) , can i change the plate voltage on fly (while i run / play the amp) ?

idnotbe":1i9yqoqt said:
CrazyNutz":1i9yqoqt said:

oh... thank you for the valuable info~!!
could i ask a little more?

1. it seems there is no need to change the components on the board. (except the PT and the dual voltage switch)
am i right?

2. if i use the individual voltage switch (normal standby switch + another voltage mode switch) , can i change the plate voltage on fly (while i run / play the amp) ?
I assume the kong has relays, so you will need to account for that. without knowing the specs of the other secondaries on the existing transformers, I would hold off

idnotbe":3p7cqoe5 said:
one mod i am thinking is the plate voltage switching like CCV high / low power switch (425~450v <-> 525~550v) .

or can this mod be done with a standard marshall super lead 100w power transformer?

2. do the original CCV's PT and OT have the special "spec"s which is different to marshall's?

Good luck with your KK. I'm sure it's a cool amp. But let me make a suggestion.

Save your money, and bide your time. Wait it out for the real deal.
My experience with amps that are clones, or copies is once you play or hear the real one, the clones just don't add up.

SLO clone<Real SLO.
Chupacabra<Real Cameron Jose.

I know they are rare and expensive but the wait will be worth it.
And yes I've played a Chupa and SLO clone. Good stuff but fall FAR short to the real deal. IMO.
Good luck!

Racerxrated":14hnckzc said:
idnotbe":14hnckzc said:

My experience with amps that are clones, or copies is once you play or hear the real one, the clones just don't add up.

SLO clone<Real SLO.

And yes I've played a Chupa and SLO clone. Good stuff but fall FAR short to the real deal. IMO.
Good luck!

Did Mark Cameron "invent" the Cali and Jose designs?

FourT6and2":3e9z1gke said:

Nope... he got famous for wiring in clipping diodes in to a preamp to boost gain... kinda a like a od pedal does one would say. :yes: :LOL: :LOL:

New concept... hardly.

The whole Cameron phenomena is based on much much hype and over blown secrecy and unobtainism. Many men would agree. ;)

FourT6and2":2wa09a4j said:
Racerxrated":2wa09a4j said:
idnotbe":2wa09a4j said:

SLO clone<Real SLO.

Good luck!

Didn't say that. But it's pretty well known that the King Kong tries to be a CCV clone, and the Chupacabra tries to be a Cameron Jose Marshall. It's been talked about many times here.

I'm not criticizing the Ceriatone, as you seem to think I am. All I'm saying is as much as they are a great bang for the buck Modded Marshall clone, and they do sound good they aren't the real deal.

Put it this way. I've talked to CCV and Cam Jose owners that have sold their amps. Some have bought Chupas or King Kongs hoping to capture that amp that they regret selling. No dice.

Have you ever played a Cameron Jose? Or a CCV? If so what are your thoughts on the similarities/differences? I know you have/had a Chupa, how about a King Kong?
Not being condescending. Just curious.
Seems to me most critics have no clue what they sound/feel like at all.

actually i don't care about how much KK's tone is close to Cameron's.
and also don't look for a budget alternative - just want a fantastic amp.

i haven't played Cameron or KK / Yeti / Chupa.
but have owned Suhr PT100, Landry G3, CA Triptik, Bray 4550.... and now have Friedman 2016 BE100.

BE100 is so good but i want a little stiffer / raw feel with more aggressive bottom.
so i think the high plate voltage might be helpful for that tone.

and the plate voltage switching feature is cool anyway, isn't it?

i want the crispy upper mid of marshall + aggressive / massive / tight bottom of mesa.
some of similar examples are...

after i got KK, i might have someone correct KK's tone to my taste.
maybe bfg??

(but wonder if my thinking process is reasonable...)

Racerxrated":290qq75y said:
Didn't say that.

I asked the question for a different reason. ;)

But it's pretty well known that the King Kong tries to be a CCV clone

In what ways? How do the two circuits compare/contrast?

and the Chupacabra tries to be a Cameron Jose Marshall. It's been talked about many times here.

This is why I asked what I asked. Why is it trying to be a Cameron Jose and not a Fortin Jose or a Gower Jose or just a Jose Jose? What makes it a Cameron copy and not a copy of something else?

I'm not criticizing the Ceriatone, as you seem to think I am.

Nothing wrong with a little criticism. :D

When you say the Chupacabra is a copy of a Cameron and that it's not "the real deal" and that it doesn't "add up," what exactly is that if not criticism? If you are criticizing Ceriatone that's totally cool. Don't hide from it. Might as well own it. :) But really... I'm more interested to know details about the other aspect of your comments. Especially since you seem to know the ins/outs of these circuits. I'd love if you could share some of that knowledge. How does Cameron do a Jose/Cali circuit differently than Fortin or Ceriatone or anybody else?

Put it this way. I've talked to CCV and Cam Jose owners that have sold their amps. Some have bought Chupas or King Kongs hoping to capture that amp that they regret selling. No dice.

Maybe those people were mistaken about the Chupa being a Cameron clone. And maybe that's why they were disappointed. I bought my Chupacabra, not because it is or is not a Cameron clone, but because I liked the sound of the amp on its own merits. Not because I was trying to get a cheaper version of another amp. Big difference.

I also owned a CCV. I had it side by side with a Chupacabra. Hell, I played them in stereo at one point. I don't regret selling the CCV. Never really liked it much.

Have you ever played a Cameron Jose? Or a CCV?

Yes. See above.

If so what are your thoughts on the similarities/differences? I know you have/had a Chupa, how about a King Kong? Not being condescending. Just curious. Seems to me most critics have no clue what they sound/feel like at all.

The CCV I had was dark and smooth and sounded/felt more like a Bogner than anything else. The CCV is not a Jose nor a Cali circuit. There is exactly ONE video/clip of the CCV where I think it sounds good. And that clip was the reason I bought one. But the amp didn't sound anything like it in person.

Racerxrated":1hxvhc6d said:
idnotbe":1hxvhc6d said:

SLO clone<Real SLO.

Good luck!

-(TRUTH)-

Back