CCV and FX

OUTLAW1969

Out of curiousity, what effects are you guys finding that get along well with the CCV (either in the loop or in front)? Hopefully this thread will not digress into "New vs. Old" CCV's, and focus more on what everyone is using for cool lead tones, and great rhythm sounds.

I know Steve has said that he liked the Empress para Eq, what else is working for you guys?

I just use an eventide time factor delay in the loop and it works great. Sometimes a phase 90 in front for some songs.

I have totally sworn off pedals and FX loops. Hitting it up front with this Digitech unit. Everything in one, runs quiet, no hiss, piss or hum. Playing live or jamming, I cannot tell the difference in the loop or up front for most effects and want to keep it simple. No wires, patch cables, power supplies and other stuff to fool with. Just started messing with it a couple days ago, and it is just a shit hot box for the money.

But, alluding to the Parametric EQ in the loop - that fucker makes big, sound even bigger. But, pretty much can dial the amp in to suit my needs without it.

*Spam - big pedal sell-off coming*

IMG_2260.jpg

I'm running an old Lexicon PCM 42 in the loop for delay. Produces monster hot rodded 80's tones. Big. Basically have been running the gain channel master volume in the 10:00'ish position and using the effect volume as a master volume. Also have tried some pedals: MXR CC, Mad Professor Deep Blue, Neunaber Wet and Retro-sonic chorus and bunch of MXR stuff. Pedals work pretty well in the loop, just require a little bit more tweaking to dial in the right mix. I've tried nothing up front yet.

I've got an old Furman PQ3 that I want to try in the loop, but the CCV just has so many stock tonal options available that I need to spend more time experimenting with these before I bring in another level of EQ'ing. :LOL: :LOL:

I just came across a Rocktron Pro-Q rack unit (seems like a cross between Eq , phaser, and some of the better qualities of a BBE Sonic Max), and I can tell that it would be fun to experiment with through the CCV. But the noise floor through the "Zero Loss" loop, is crazy. I suppose this loop is for pedals only, and suppose I would need to get a "line level" device or something to make this unit usable with the production CCV. I don't know.....

The high pitched whine / squeal bothers my dog :LOL: :LOL: , and the hiss is so overwhelming that you can barely hear the guitar signal underneath it. So experimenting with it for more than 1-2 minutes is almost unbearable Seems like it is an issue of line level mismatch, because I don't think there is a problem with the actual rack unit.

Anyone experienced this when trying out a rack unit with this particular loop? Ideas ? Suggestions?

It certainly isn't the quietest loop I've ever heard. Zero 'loss'? Perhaps. But it certainly 'adds' something to the tone......

Next time you guys have your chassis out, see what size decoupling resistor you have between the B+ and the loop just to confirm it isn't undersized. Also, as was the case with mine, the send level trim pot was damn near all the way down and the return level had to be run really high, which passes to much signal to the power amp from the series loop. You should be able to set the return around 1:00 or so and get the same volume through the loop as with nothing in the loop. Also, if you are running a rack FX or processor with a kill dry function, you need to run it with kill dry off, otherwise you have all wet signal passing through the loop and none of the good ole CCV grunt. Control the send level mix with the processor.

Steve

I hope this FX loop thing is not going to be a problem when I get my CCV-100 (2nd Run). I rely on using delay for my lead tones. I have a couple of Roland SDE3000s and they have worked through every amp that I have owned and sounded great through my XTC, which I no longer have, and my Engl Savage.

I think you wont have any problems with running your delay in the FX loop.

On a side note, I decided to try and run my AxeFX II in 4CM with the CCV just for the hell of it, and couldn't get anywhere. One try made feedback that I couldnt stop without turning off the amp.

The Metro Loop will handle the impedance variance between line level and instrument, however, they have to be set right at the trim pot for the input voltage. The return level should span enough range to handle any level drop or level increase associated with the mismatch. But, they need to do this before shipping the amps and test the loops with instrument and line level effects. There is no preset level control in it as the loop is a generic board to handle a variety input voltages. If they don't check it before shipping, it is a pain in the ass, as you have to flip the board to access the trim pot. In a normal installation, the trim pot will be face up, but I suppose with the layout, they had to flip it upside down with the traces facing you. You need to do this with the amp on too, in order to get it right, without trial and error....so be careful if you attempt it.

Steve

Good advice Steve.

Has anyone ever used an Ebtech Line Level Shifter? Supposed to be a fairly simple device that converts from -10dB to +4dB , and also from +4dB to -10dB ......

OUTLAW1969":1qs6g1qi said:
Good advice Steve.

Has anyone ever used an Ebtech Line Level Shifter? Supposed to be a fairly simple device that converts from -10dB to +4dB , and also from +4dB to -10dB ......

I have, and they do work. Haven't used it with the production CCV though. Also, if you can swing it, the Suhr Minimix II is worth the $200 investment to turn that Metro insert loop into a parallel loop. They do make a big difference.

Steve

I use an Egnater Loop Gadget with all of my amps.

Can match levels regardless of the loop and effects being used, has send and return level controls and high quality buffers on both the send and return legs (which is great for amps with non-buffered FX loops).

The thing is gold - highly recommended! :thumbsup:

metalmaniac93":3haeseue said:
I hope this FX loop thing is not going to be a problem when I get my CCV-100 (2nd Run). I rely on using delay for my lead tones. I have a couple of Roland SDE3000s and they have worked through every amp that I have owned and sounded great through my XTC, which I no longer have, and my Engl Savage.

I've experimented with two rack delays and two pedal delays in the loop and have not had problems with any.

Back