Choose your worst 80's album/amp tone.

8len8

So there's the "best" 80's tone thread, so how about a "worst" thread.

My vote goes to Operation Mindcrime. Great band and songs, but the mix or tone of that album keeps me from listening to it often. Needs a more scooped midrange tone I think, or maybe the snare needs to be pulled back in the mix more...

8len8":1hvzpwcf said:

My vote goes to Operation Mindcrime. Great band and songs, but the mix or tone of that album keeps me from listening to it often. Needs a more scooped midrange tone I think, or maybe the snare needs to be pulled back in the mix more...

I think the production of that album was very divisive at the time? I like it, it's "modern" and cold which matches the story well and I'm sure was intentional. Sounds great cranked in a car I think!

Someone mentioned they liked Ozzy's "No Rest..." in the "Best 80's tone" thread and I couldn't disagree more - very lumpy and no clarity for me.

The first Mr. Big album doesn't have a great tone due to all the chorus/stereo doubler on it. Take all that off and it'll be a good tone underneith!

Any Guns and Roses album. Like appetite for destruction. I can't stand that guitar tone. The high end is horrible.

8len8":3fs6jrm5 said:

+10000 for voting Mindcrime. Despite the fact that is an excellent record (composition, performance etc.), the lead tones sucked big time.
On the contrary Empire has phenominal production and tones!

Paul Gilbert forever.

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy's writing and he's an incredible player, but his tone has always sucked IMO.

I don't recall any of the 80s stuff other than the good stuff like Maiden, Dio, Ozzy, etc. but seeing as I don't listen to it anymore I can't comment on how piss poor the tone is/was. I'd hazard a guess that practically all of it was weak and shitty as either the music itself sucked, or the recording cats were so messed up on hairspray and blow they didn't know how to produce it right.

Neon, hairspray, lycra, snotty boys with lipstick on.... :student:

Glad the 80s are over :D

OU812...every time I listen I need to fool around with tone/equalization. Sounds so freaking thin...

another bad one is that band with that song cult of personality...Vernon Reid guitarist I think. Ugh...

I completely disagree about Mindcrime! I love the guitar tones on that. There are plenty of reasons not to like CC, but I don't think his tone is one of them. I loved Paul's tone in Racer X, but never liked it in Mr. Big. GnR tones were always wonderful. I didn't care for Maiden's guitar tones on Somewhere in Time.

Back