Craziest College Football Season I've Ever Seen

hal9000":5decb said:
Go Hokies! I was in the MVs from 95-98, so I'm sure we shared the same field. :)

No Shit man, what did you play? I was in the Tech Jazz band with a couple MVs...good dudes, and better players!

grooveHT":c1fa0 said:
hal9000":c1fa0 said:
Go Hokies! I was in the MVs from 95-98, so I'm sure we shared the same field. :)

No Shit man, what did you play? I was in the Tech Jazz band with a couple MVs...good dudes, and better players!
Alto Sax. I was a rank captain for the last three years. Send me a PM. :)

It really has been bizarre. My Wolverines have been all over the place, but still will come in 2nd in the Big 10 (no way we beat OSU next week). On the plus side, the only major team that's been worse than Nebraska (who I happen to hate) is Notre Dame (who I happen to hate more)!

Now the question is, who wins the Heisman?

mysticaxe":1be4c said:
It really has been bizarre. My Wolverines have been all over the place, but still will come in 2nd in the Big 10 (no way we beat OSU next week). On the plus side, the only major team that's been worse than Nebraska (who I happen to hate) is Notre Dame (who I happen to hate more)!

No - Michigan will win next week...you heard it here first. Then...the rankings in the Big 10 will look like this... Wofford>Appalachian State>Michigan>OSU>the rest of the Big Ten...which will make me warm and fuzzy. :LOL: :LOL:

In all seriousness though...Illinois will be a force to be reckoned with in the coming years...how the heck does Zook do what he does??

mysticaxe":b93d5 said:

If they win out the rest of the year... Dixon from Oregon. :doh:

EightmanVT":767b5 said:
mysticaxe":767b5 said:

He looked Hella-good against us at the begining of the year... Illinois played us real tough before we finally overpowered them. I hope we can pull it out against OSU, but injuries to senior starting QB and RB are always bad news.

mysticaxe":4d4d0 said:
EightmanVT":4d4d0 said:
mysticaxe":4d4d0 said:

He looked Hella-good against us at the begining of the year... Illinois played us real tough before we finally overpowered them. I hope we can pull it out against OSU, but injuries to senior starting QB and RB are always bad news.

Oooh...I missed that little important tidbit of scouting... no Hart = no win. Your backup QB will be fine...but you need your starting RB.

EightmanVT":1da9d said:
mysticaxe":1da9d said:

Oooh...I missed that little important tidbit of scouting... no Hart = no win. Your backup QB will be fine...but you need your starting RB.

We need one of the two. Hart has a high ankle sprain that has kept him out 2-3 games (he played about a half vs. Mich St) and Henne has a slightly separated throwing shoulder. The freshman looked like a bumbling goon against Wisconsin - throwing at WR's feet, holding the ball way too long and getting sacked (those were the good moments). If both guys are out, we are way beyond FUBAR.

Is Carr really retiring? Wonder who you guys will get for your next coach? That'll be very interesting. No offense, but I hope H&H are both still "out" for the game! I'm not too proud.......I'll take win any way we can get one!

OSU fan here too :cry:

being an Ohio sports fan has always been full of disappointments...I'm used to it after 40 yrs

I'm one of the few that actually picked Illinois to beat the bucks. The Big Ten just isnt what it used to be :(

EightmanVT":729f1 said:
Of WVU??? Stuck in the MAC...errr I mean Big Least...that UCONN was leading...nah...no chance of that. WVU is the best team by far in the Big East...but that's about all they've got going for them. I mean...seriously...if by some fluke they got to the NC game and won - every couch within a 3 state radius would be in serious danger.... :LOL: :LOL:
The Big East is a better conference than the ACC. I think the top 4 or 5 teams in the Big East could all win the ACC.

Buckeyedog":7fc50 said:
Is Carr really retiring? Wonder who you guys will get for your next coach? That'll be very interesting. No offense, but I hope H&H are both still "out" for the game! I'm not too proud.......I'll take win any way we can get one!

I haven't heard that one. Most of the stuff I've heard (granted I don't live in MI anymore, so I'm not in the loop on the local news/talk radio) involved him getting fired. It wouldn't suprise me if they offered it to Ron English (the D coordinator) if they got rid of Carr. He's a pretty dynamic guy who is going to get a chance somewhere very soon.

If H&H are out, the game will be a slaughter. If both are in, they're still not going to be 100%, so it will probably still be ugly...

mysticaxe":3c1b5 said:
Buckeyedog":3c1b5 said:

I haven't heard that one. Most of the stuff I've heard (granted I don't live in MI anymore, so I'm not in the loop on the local news/talk radio) involved him getting fired. It wouldn't suprise me if they offered it to Ron English (the D coordinator) if they got rid of Carr. He's a pretty dynamic guy who is going to get a chance somewhere very soon.

If H&H are out, the game will be a slaughter. If both are in, they're still not going to be 100%, so it will probably still be ugly...

I've heard Carr is gonna retire to avoid the embarrasment of getting fired...the names that keep coming up as his repalcment are Brian Kelly out of Cincinatti and Les Miles from LSU.

GnR102385":9840d said:
EightmanVT":9840d said:
Of WVU??? Stuck in the MAC...errr I mean Big Least...that UCONN was leading...nah...no chance of that. WVU is the best team by far in the Big East...but that's about all they've got going for them. I mean...seriously...if by some fluke they got to the NC game and won - every couch within a 3 state radius would be in serious danger.... :LOL: :LOL:
The Big East is a better conference than the ACC. I think the top 4 or 5 teams in the Big East could all win the ACC.

Wow - you must do some seriously good drugs... or you just know absolutely zilch about college football - or both. I imagine it takes a while for news to trickle up to the Dakotas.... :no:

EightmanVT":e0657 said:
GnR102385":e0657 said:
EightmanVT":e0657 said:

Wow - you must do some seriously good drugs... or you just know absolutely zilch about college football - or both. I imagine it takes a while for news to trickle up to the Dakotas.... :no:
I know that the ACC has never been a football conference. What teams, pray tell, in your ACC could beat West Virginia or Rutgers(when they have a good day) or Cincinnati who is very underrated. I think that Virginia Tech is the only team that would have a chance, and they are legendary choke artists.

GnR102385":c1cb2 said:
quote="EightmanVT":c1cb2 said:

Wow - you must do some seriously good drugs... or you just know absolutely zilch about college football - or both. I imagine it takes a while for news to trickle up to the Dakotas.... :no:[/quote]
I know that the ACC has never been a football conference. What teams, pray tell, in your ACC could beat West Virginia or Rutgers(when they have a good day) or Cincinnati who is very underrated. I think that Virginia Tech is the only team that would have a chance, and they are legendary choke artists.[/quote]

Virginia Tech has owned West Virginia and Rutgers... and Rutger's success last year - was just a blip on the radar screen of time, not likely to be seen again for a while. VT, Clemson, FSU, BC, for starters.... top to bottom the ACC >>> Big East, it's not even close. The only exception is WVU - who has a legitimate team. Rutgers is lucky to even have a football program still - there was a move afoot for a while to do away with that, just like Temple, and Cincy was what...CUSA, MAC last year?? No, try again. Top to bottom do a comparison...ACC beats Big East... Hell, a mediocre UVA team (who has really improved as the season has gone on) beat UCONN who was leading the BE for most of this season.

I will give you that UConn is not as good as their record would make someone think. They have really overachieved this year. But the Big East is a conference that is on the way up. And the ACC is mediocre at best. Clemson is starting to play to their potential some, but FSU has fallen apart, as has Miami, and Wake Forests success last year is looking like a fluke. Boston College is not really that good this year, they have played above their abilities the same as UConn, but BC looks like they are unraveling. Cincinnati was in C-USA a few years ago, but that doesnt have anything to do with how they are right now. I think that if you asked one of the CFB analysts that knew what they were talking about, they would tell you that the Big East is miles ahead of where it was the last 2 years, and has quickly closed the gap on the other power conferences. Im not saying they are the SEC or the Big 12, but the Big East is a hell of a lot better than your obviously biased opinion gives them credit for. And I still havent even brought up USF and how they are a program on the rise. With the amount of talent available for recruiting in Florida I think they will become a big time power in the next couple years, especially with the way that Florida State and Miami(both ACC teams) are heading.

GnR102385":939fb said:
I will give you that UConn is not as good as their record would make someone think. They have really overachieved this year. But the Big East is a conference that is on the way up. And the ACC is mediocre at best. Clemson is starting to play to their potential some, but FSU has fallen apart, as has Miami, and Wake Forests success last year is looking like a fluke. Boston College is not really that good this year, they have played above their abilities the same as UConn, but BC looks like they are unraveling. Cincinnati was in C-USA a few years ago, but that doesnt have anything to do with how they are right now. I think that if you asked one of the CFB analysts that knew what they were talking about, they would tell you that the Big East is miles ahead of where it was the last 2 years, and has quickly closed the gap on the other power conferences. Im not saying they are the SEC or the Big 12, but the Big East is a hell of a lot better than your obviously biased opinion gives them credit for. And I still havent even brought up USF and how they are a program on the rise. With the amount of talent available for recruiting in Florida I think they will become a big time power in the next couple years, especially with the way that Florida State and Miami(both ACC teams) are heading.

Uhm...no...no chance...no way...no how. Sheez...where to start... First of all, by analyst that "knows what they are talking about"..you mean agrees with you.... :no: BC is a good team - has been a consistent team every year - but over achieved and was brought back to reality. They're still a top 25 team..which is more than can be said for all but 1 BE team. To say ACC is mediocre at best - make me think this conversation is futile - you can't have a meaningful debate with the uninformed. Like I said previously - top to bottom - line them up and show me how the BE is even close to ACC??? Draw yourself a little diagram showing who has played whom, and how they overlap - the Big East is the conference that is fading. They enjoyed last year with some teams that were senior laden that had breakout years -- anamalies... So...FSU and Miami are having a down year, although FSU is coming on again... FSU would beat any BE team...and it would be a coin flip if they played WVU. USF - is the one program that you may have a point about - but it's a really tough call. There is sooo much talent down in Florida, even UCF has been known to put together some good games. Time will tell there... Cincy, Rutgers, UCONN, Syracuse...whoever else, they are all irrelevant in the national picture. Only WVU remains - and you can believe they were smiling when VT, UM and BC left for the ACC, because now, every year, the BE championship is theirs to lose, made all the simpler by the fact that that conference has no championship game. Frankly, all conferences need to institute a championship game. Wake Forest has always been (including last year when the "won" the ACC ) been middle of the pack in the ACC. Chips fell nicely for them last year, and they won a number of very close games...to get them there. VT handled them easily... Again - line them up - go top to bottom in each conference and tell me where your money would go. If you really believe the nonsense your giving - put your money where your mouth is. I'll back my claims up with $$ placed on the ACC team.

It seems to me that in the bowl season last year, the Big East had the best record. And I do not know every Big East team that has played an ACC team this year. The one I can think of off the top of my head is WVU vs. Maryland, and that was obviously a route. You call me uninformed, but you are unusually biased yourself so you are right, this debate can go nowhere.

Back