Criss Oliva

I loved his playing. I saw them a bunch of times, but only once with Criss. He ripped.

And didn't he play through TWO Boss SD1s? PsychoDave knows all about his gear....

I got to see Savatage on 3-4 occasions w/ Criss. That guy had such command over his instrument. Huge influence for me. Hall of the Mountain King & Gutter Ballet are amazing to me even today.

PeteLaramee":2gjt5iv7 said:
I loved his playing. I saw them a bunch of times, but only once with Criss. He ripped.

And didn't he play through TWO Boss SD1s? PsychoDave knows all about his gear....

And psychodave is gone. :cry: I dug Criss Oliva too, mainly as a riff writer on the early stuff.

Criss guitar tech and Chris Caffery posted his rig online do a search and it will come up. He used 2 sd1 and part of a rockman into clean chanel of yamaha ss bass amp, then marshall 2210 lastly aor. He alwas used low or clean input. Caffery still has Crisss Marshalls. The website was by still up a few months ago. Savatage is my favorite music. His tone is all pedal

Mrhiwatt

Yeah, apart from the pretty standard Marshalls and Laneys he used two Boss overdrives in series, I think one with the tone up and one with tone down. I think he used metal picks, as well, which certainly changes the sound a bit.

clean channel and two stock SD-1 's running into each other seem to have been the cornerstone of his sound? Holy $hit he never would have been worthy to be oogled after on this board because the tone was too easy to acheive!!!! (and inexpensive)

I am surprised though that he didn't use any gain from the amps..

He has always been one of my favs! I lived in central FLa about the time they broke big!
The whole band was talented and with the addition of Chris Caffery it was a perfect combination!
I still listen to all there old stuff and Jon's guitar player for his Pain project was a friend of mine and also Criss' understudy. He grew up down the street from the Oliva's, and he was just as talented as Criss was. It was a sad day when he passed as well.

Back