Curious: Anyone Use 10-52s On Their Floyd Guitars?

Junk Yard Dog

I know a lot of Floyd guitars come with 9s in E-standard or some drop to 10s for E-flat. I saw a while back Cantrell uses regular 10s on his guitars (e-flat) and that kinda surprised me. I use 10-52 on all my E and Eflat guitars.

I got a new Charvel and am thinking to go 10-52 eflat, but unsure if the tension would be a bit much, so maybe I start with 10s.

All my Floyd guitars are setup with 11-52 in standard tuning. You can dive with 2 fingers and its nice and smooth. As was said, its all in the setup.

I use 10-54 in standard for my Les Paul but I’ve found you lose a bit of bite and snarl with heavy strings on a floyd guitar. It makes it sound more like a cello instead of a violin so to speak. I prefer 9-46 on 25.5” with a floating trem.

EXL117-large.jpg

.011 to .056 @ A440 no problems. I use 5 trem springs in the back and my Floyds are no different that any other.
Ive also played at E-flat but have to reconfigure the guitars still with 5 springs.
Last 3 bands were standard pitch.
About 3 years ago i tried to go back to a lighter gauge no fuggin way sounded so bad.
Won't use anything else.

EXL117-large.jpg

.011 to .056 @ A440 no problems. I use 5 trem springs in the back and my Floyds are no different that any other.
Ive also played at E-flat but have to reconfigure the guitars still with 5 springs.
Last 3 bands were standard pitch.
About 3 years ago i tried to go back to a lighter gauge no fuggin way sounded so bad.
Won't use anything else.
Rad, I use the same string set for E standard. The tension feels so good it's addicting, and moving to regular 10's makes any guitar feel like a toy now. I guess for silky lead stuff the light gauge is fine, but for rhythm no way!

Ok, great feedback, dudes. I'll give 10-52 a shot in eflat on my MIM charvel. My luthier can do pretty much anything, so will start there.

Back