Dave Friedman Amp Chassis Signatures?

John 14:6

Does Dave only sign some of his amps depending on his availability? I cannot find a signature on my Smallbox and I see pictures of other amps that are signed on the chassis by Dave. My unsigned Smallbox will sound just as good as the next guys, but it did get me wondering about the signing process.

Curious about this too...my SB50 has a sig on the chassis but I'll be damned if I could make it out (I'm sure it's Mr. Friedman's but you never know, my Rivera head had a sig as well and I was told it was that of the tech that added the high gain mod @ Rivera).

I read somewhere that Dave tests and signs new amps on a weekly basis. I am sure he needs to travel some weeks.

How old is your amp? I sign every amp that leaves. If you take out the chassis you will see the sig on top and my initials on the side. When I first started doing it though it was only the initials. So if the amp is older it might just have that.

RACKSYSTEMS":23m3jnrq said:
How old is your amp? I sign every amp that leaves. If you take out the chassis you will see the sig on top and my initials on the side. When I first started doing it though it was only the initials. So if the amp is older it might just have that.
I think my Smallbox is about a year old or so. I will check it out in more detail if I ever pull it out of the head box. I was just curious more than anything. I have been playing over 30 years and have owned some great sounding amps, but the Smallbox is my favorite amp I have owned so far. :thumbsup:

Dave now signs all amplifiers he tests, this isn't a new procedure but if yours isn't signed it probably was just before he started.

LP Freak":3igvvok9 said:
This reminds me a lot of The Gear Page

I'm sure a thread will pop up there soon discussing the subtle tonal differences between signed and unsigned Friedmans. I can only imagine how good my DS would sound if it had been signed. :LOL: :LOL:

I'd bet Dave would sign it if you took it in to the shop! :D

Problem solved. Tone improved. World Hunger OVER! ;)

LP Freak":9yb8ttbr said:
This reminds me a lot of The Gear Page
I love my unsigned Smallbox and have no intention of trading it for a signed one or any other amp. I asked an honest question because I have seen pictures of some signed amps and I was curious why some are and some are not. Dave already answered the question. I am a Friedman fan and I was not trying to start controversy with the question. I will take it to Dave if I ever need to have it repaired and he can sign it "Jimi Hendrix" for all I care. :D

It is also hard for me to take any guitarist seriously who does trash talk Friedman amps. They either have an axe to grind or serious wax build up in their ears.

This is interesting,if he tests every amp but yet some are not signed,does that mean he doesn't sign every amp or doesn't test every amp or both?Curious as I am a definite fan of the product line,I had a smallbox it had a signiture on the Chassey behind the pre amp tubes.That seems to be the easiest place for a signiture,I have a be100 which is a 2014 and it isn't signed or initialed that I can see,have not pulled it from the box.If it has no signiture when I do would that mean it wasn't inspected by DF? I know it sounds and feels like everything I hoped for.Give it a 10 out of 10.I highly recommend!!!

I sign and test every hand wired amp. But I only started signing about a year ago, a year befor that it was initials on the side and befor that I did not sign or initial.

Dave is without a doubt a stand up guy!I appreciate the selector knob you sent for my be100 and the smallbox footswitch switch as well.My be100 is #08140293, Would that be a 2014? Has the series loop.Was curious,would the signiture be same place as it was on the smallbox?

RACKSYSTEMS":25fcsd74 said:
I sign and test every hand wired amp. But I only started signing about a year ago, a year befor that it was initials on the side and befor that I did not sign or initial.

Handwired...as opposed to?

Meaning there might be future products that I will not be signing. Currently I test all hand wired amps, this is all we make. I do not test cabinets for instance, someone else does that. Hope that clears it up.

Back