Diezel VHX review

Hi Peter, Leo and all you Diezel-users :)
I am a huge fan of the sound of both the VH4 and the Herbert. I was never able to decide. I am now asking myself if the VHX can really deliver both these sounds without any compromise. Is the VHX really capable of giving me this unparalleled Ch 3 VH4 feeling and clearity or the sheer brutality of the Herbert. I know that the VHX has a lot more capabilities - but in the end... will it be able to perform as a vh4 and a herbert?

thanks in advance for your honest opinions

Hi Peter, Leo and all you Diezel-users :)
I am a huge fan of the sound of both the VH4 and the Herbert. I was never able to decide. I am now asking myself if the VHX can really deliver both these sounds without any compromise. Is the VHX really capable of giving me this unparalleled Ch 3 VH4 feeling and clearity or the sheer brutality of the Herbert. I know that the VHX has a lot more capabilities - but in the end... will it be able to perform as a vh4 and a herbert?

thanks in advance for your honest opinions

Hi Steven,
Yes, VHX can deliver it by actual improoved means:
VHX compared to VH4 is more easy on the feel and more open, blue channel with classic or vintage shape does it.

Compared to Herbert it has the same brutality with a touch of less extremely low 20/50hz response due to lower power output, that actually helps when using it with common cabinets that may not handle that, blue or red channel with classic or modern shape does it, with a touch of midcut.

Hi Steven,
Yes, VHX can deliver it by actual improoved means:
VHX compared to VH4 is more easy on the feel and more open, blue channel with classic or vintage shape does it.

Compared to Herbert it has the same brutality with a touch of less extremely low 20/50hz response due to lower power output, that actually helps when using it with common cabinets that may not handle that, blue or red channel with classic or modern shape does it, with a touch of midcut.

Thank you Leo - I appreciate your reply so much. I think I‘m not the only one loving the VH4 and the Herbert and thus potentially fears that - if one saves up the money for the VHX - that it might not fully deliver their signature sounds and one is better off just getting the VH4 or the Herbert. Nonetheless, you seem quite convinced that it would pull of the balancing act between these accomplished amps. And I‘m sure that even if the VHX would sound a little different, it would still be amazing.

I guess a lot of potential VHX users would be interested in a video demo maybe specifically with emphasis on metal sounds.

For me, my dream-configuration would be an amp that could deliver the VH4 Ch3 in the sense of Tool and Metallica/Hetfield and could also perform a more modern Herbert-like high-gain sound for 7-strings/Downtunings whilst also having a very clean channel (like the Herbert).

Still some questions, if you dont mind:
1) how often would one a software update? What will these contain?
2) how long do you plan to supply this product with updates? With „digital“ products, I always fear that they will get lost in oblivion as soon as a successor of the series is on the horizon.
3) how does the VHX perform with low volumes?
4) are there specific cabs/speakers you recommend for the use of the VHX?

Thank you so much in advance

Thank you Leo - I appreciate your reply so much. I think I‘m not the only one loving the VH4 and the Herbert and thus potentially fears that - if one saves up the money for the VHX - that it might not fully deliver their signature sounds and one is better off just getting the VH4 or the Herbert. Nonetheless, you seem quite convinced that it would pull of the balancing act between these accomplished amps. And I‘m sure that even if the VHX would sound a little different, it would still be amazing.

I guess a lot of potential VHX users would be interested in a video demo maybe specifically with emphasis on metal sounds.

For me, my dream-configuration would be an amp that could deliver the VH4 Ch3 in the sense of Tool and Metallica/Hetfield and could also perform a more modern Herbert-like high-gain sound for 7-strings/Downtunings whilst also having a very clean channel (like the Herbert).

Still some questions, if you dont mind:
1) how often would one a software update? What will these contain?
2) how long do you plan to supply this product with updates? With „digital“ products, I always fear that they will get lost in oblivion as soon as a successor of the series is on the horizon.
3) how does the VHX perform with low volumes?
4) are there specific cabs/speakers you recommend for the use of the VHX?

Thank you so much in advance

Dear Steven,
We developed the VHX to have no compromise that all the "normal" amp would have, i.e. being more suitable to a certain genre, or to play better with tick or thin guitars, pickup etc..
VHX addresses it with the customizable options, mainly SHAPE and VOICE, and of course with recallable presets.

VHX would be even more suitable to modern and downtuning because it can be set tighter and precise then Herbert, and the close customers that plays modern metal and have Herbert as well does agree with it, so that's why I'm pretty sure of that.

Clean channel is based on later Diezel clean channel as well (like Herbert, Hagen, Paul..), with the same customization option.

The most notable difference with the VH4, expecially on early one would be the SAG and compression that you would feel when playing it.
Early VH4 had much more sag and compression, attack was also faster so the feeling was an harder amp to play.
During the years (25!!) Peter made several change to address it and latest improvements can be found on the VHX, that is, according to Peter himself, the best sounding Diezel amp ever.

As christmast gift for all our VHX customer, there will be an update that will add a new voice that would make VHX capabable of EARLY diezel sounds as well, more mid-centric and with faster attack, for early VH4/Blueface/Einstein tone affectionados.

1) Public release are every 2/3 monts usually, while beta release are not really planned, sometimes are weekly, sometimes are montly based.
Common changes are added features, MIDI related, or effects, or general UI, or recently for example custom IR Loader.
Sometimes there are Sound related improvements, i.e. some configuration that are possible but not yet released (like the menitoned EARLY voice)

2) VHX is really a tube amp with sound coming from tubes, so it doesn't really need updates or support to improove it like it happens with classic digital device that would be replaced every few years to get more and more power for the algorithms.
We didn't plan to stop support anyway, we are still supporting 25yr old VH4, that's part of Diezel policy and quality.

3) It has an even improoved master volume control, plus global setting for master volume, so it allows for even finer adjustments.
Tone wise then it would mostly depends on speaker, pushed speker will always sound much better.

4) Not really, differently than other amps VHX could really sound like almost anything you want, so cab will mostly depend on what you like the most. To me, the best compromise to cover as much as possible is Diezel 212R with either V30 or G1265Hr, but it's really subjective.

VHX planned video all togheter is shifted again because of covid, I'll check with some close customers if they would be so kind to make a short clip of a more metal oriented tone.

Thank you,
Leo

Dear Steven,
We developed the VHX to have no compromise that all the "normal" amp would have, i.e. being more suitable to a certain genre, or to play better with tick or thin guitars, pickup etc..
VHX addresses it with the customizable options, mainly SHAPE and VOICE, and of course with recallable presets.

VHX would be even more suitable to modern and downtuning because it can be set tighter and precise then Herbert, and the close customers that plays modern metal and have Herbert as well does agree with it, so that's why I'm pretty sure of that.

Clean channel is based on later Diezel clean channel as well (like Herbert, Hagen, Paul..), with the same customization option.

The most notable difference with the VH4, expecially on early one would be the SAG and compression that you would feel when playing it.
Early VH4 had much more sag and compression, attack was also faster so the feeling was an harder amp to play.
During the years (25!!) Peter made several change to address it and latest improvements can be found on the VHX, that is, according to Peter himself, the best sounding Diezel amp ever.

As christmast gift for all our VHX customer, there will be an update that will add a new voice that would make VHX capabable of EARLY diezel sounds as well, more mid-centric and with faster attack, for early VH4/Blueface/Einstein tone affectionados.

1) Public release are every 2/3 monts usually, while beta release are not really planned, sometimes are weekly, sometimes are montly based.
Common changes are added features, MIDI related, or effects, or general UI, or recently for example custom IR Loader.
Sometimes there are Sound related improvements, i.e. some configuration that are possible but not yet released (like the menitoned EARLY voice)

2) VHX is really a tube amp with sound coming from tubes, so it doesn't really need updates or support to improove it like it happens with classic digital device that would be replaced every few years to get more and more power for the algorithms.
We didn't plan to stop support anyway, we are still supporting 25yr old VH4, that's part of Diezel policy and quality.

3) It has an even improoved master volume control, plus global setting for master volume, so it allows for even finer adjustments.
Tone wise then it would mostly depends on speaker, pushed speker will always sound much better.

4) Not really, differently than other amps VHX could really sound like almost anything you want, so cab will mostly depend on what you like the most. To me, the best compromise to cover as much as possible is Diezel 212R with either V30 or G1265Hr, but it's really subjective.

VHX planned video all togheter is shifted again because of covid, I'll check with some close customers if they would be so kind to make a short clip of a more metal oriented tone.

Thank you,
Leo

this update to get the early Diezel tones is very interesting to me. How are you achieving this? Is it a “preset” of where the encoders need to be?

when I think of a modern amp with digital gizmo’s, my thoughts are the analog portions will forever remain the same. So does this mean the update to achieve those older sounds take the circuit in and out of the digital realm?

this update to get the early Diezel tones is very interesting to me. How are you achieving this? Is it a “preset” of where the encoders need to be?
when I think of a modern amp with digital gizmo’s, my thoughts are the analog portions will forever remain the same. So does this mean the update to achieve those older sounds take the circuit in and out of the digital realm?

Yes analog portion is the same with the relays that would take care of the switching, so for example we can't add more SAG or more compression than originally planned trough the circuit, so it won't have as much SAG as a blueface without the decompression mod for instance.
Digital brain controls then this switching system and add a final shape offset to achieve the wanted voice.
VHX is an hybrid system (relay + digital pot + dsp, there's a picture somewhere of the inside) with the DSP placed between the send and the return, with then perfect impedance matching.
That's also actually the same as all diezel amp (minus the DSP) as signal always goes trough the loop making it a very important part of the final sound.

I love the VHX concept of everything you need in one really classy box. It's great to see Diezel is open to including DSP in their amps. As a software developer, I'm really impressed that a small company can accomplish such engineering. Really, the only thing that gives me pause is the weight. With the DSP already in there, it seems Diezel could do a lightweight version with a solid state power amp and a DSP tube power amp simulation.

That's awesome about the new updates. Can I get an update for my VH4? :)

The one thing that puts me off about the VHX is that I thought the signal always goes through A/D conversion. Is that true? I like the idea of digital control over physical circuit routes (chase bliss!) but only if it preserves the analog signal path.

That's awesome about the new updates. Can I get an update for my VH4? :)

The one thing that puts me off about the VHX is that I thought the signal always goes through A/D conversion. Is that true? I like the idea of digital control over physical circuit routes (chase bliss!) but only if it preserves the analog signal path.

Sure, it's true! Diezel openly was and still is against "improper" A/D converter. That's not the case with VHX, there's really nothing to worry about because levels and impedance are perfectly matched and studied for.

Also the conversion happens on the loop, that is already buffered and low impedance, just like all regular Diezels, all the magic already happened in the full analog preamp signal path.

If it's something psychological however I can totally understand :)

VH4 updates are a bit tricky as requires shipping, but sure you can have it!

I'm surprised Mesa hasn't done this yet. H & K put out the Coreblade. I wonder if it does stereo. Didn't they put out that as an option for the VH4? I think the main seller is that it saves everything except the master volume, at least that's what it looks like? So you could really fine tune and save the eq and switch back and forth and just get things dialed in to perfection.

Well they kinda did... kinda. :)

However if versatility and tons of instantly-recallable sounds is your thing... you're really and truly better off with a quality modeler.

Attachments

• Mesa-Tri290.jpg
    Mesa-Tri290.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 84
So Leo just to be clear, the signal path always gets always converted to digital and back even when not using any digital elements (I.R, effects etc)? Is this because of the digital pots?

So Leo just to be clear, the signal path always gets always converted to digital and back even when not using any digital elements (I.R, effects etc)? Is this because of the digital pots?

Yes it is, other then effects/IR it takes care of levels/filter adjustments, automatic popping tuner, spectrum analyzer... Features that VHX owners really loves and that contribute to make it the best Diezel ever!

Back