Diezel VHX

It’s just red ch. shape 0 modern mode with everything at noon, except gain at 0,55 and deep at 0,55. The key is the IR of course. I used York Audio Mesa Traditional 4x12 MiX 01 (57+121) and I set hi cut at 5,5khz, because the sweet amber tone is really dark, basically just mids and low end.

It’s just red ch. shape 0 modern mode with everything at noon, except gain at 0,55 and deep at 0,55. The key is the IR of course. I used York Audio Mesa Traditional 4x12 MiX 01 (57+121) and I set hi cut at 5,5khz, because the sweet amber tone is really dark, basically just mids and low end.
Wow....sounds just like the album!

It can’t be the flagship. They are a tube amp company that made one amp with digital effects added . There’s lots of guys like me that love Diezel but do not like vhx . It’s cool but it does do exactly what the other amps do . I like Herbert’s and vh4 way more. Most guys with diezels I know own vh4s and Herbert’s not vhx . T

Every amp company has a Flagship model.
and they change, as newer/more expensive products come out.

And, it's not because I own a VHX now, that I mention the Flagship tag.
I think it's way cool that you love your Diezel amps. They are all, each one, special amps.

I love my VH4. I'm still using it for recording.
And Herberts are awesome! I love their refined, modern sound.
I got the VHX to make gigging easier. It's made setup simple.

But it does fit what companies think of as "flagship"
doesn't mean it's better at all, just newest design + highest price tag
Good example, would be Marshall JVM, it's the flagship,
but everyone knows the 2203, 800, Silver Jubilee, etc......are their best amps
At some point Marshall will come out with a new flagship model and replace the JVM as flagship.
We get to decide if it's better

I’ll be honest I put Mesa 6l6s in all mine . They add some aggression for me . I have an old Herbert mk 1 that’s still my fav . I mix it with my wizard and Hermanson for my favorite tone . Diezels blend perfectly with Marshall style amps . I need to try 6550 though . On st anger had a tone was still really good
That is way cool that you are blending your Herbert with a Wizard. That must be wall of sound tones. St Anger would have sounded great without Lars' annoying snare!

That is way cool that you are blending your Herbert with a Wizard. That must be wall of sound tones. St Anger would have sounded great without Lars' annoying snare!
Every amp company has a Flagship model.
and they change, as newer/more expensive products come out.

And, it's not because I own a VHX now, that I mention the Flagship tag.
I think it's way cool that you love your Diezel amps. They are all, each one, special amps.

I love my VH4. I'm still using it for recording.
And Herberts are awesome! I love their refined, modern sound.
I got the VHX to make gigging easier. It's made setup simple.

But it does fit what companies think of as "flagship"
doesn't mean it's better at all, just newest design + highest price tag
Good example, would be Marshall JVM, it's the flagship,
but everyone knows the 2203, 800, Silver Jubilee, etc......are their best amps
At some point Marshall will come out with a new flagship model and replace the JVM as flagship.
We get to decide if it's better
I just still see vh4 listed as the Diezel Flagship in online adds but I feel ya .

IMO it’s the easiest one to use.. really don’t worry at all. I never read the manual and figured out everything in a few minutes.

here’s 5 mins of pure chugging with vhx.

So you like the red channels huh? I need to start messing with them. I have all my settings to Blue...Silver Face VH4, Blue Face VH4, Herbert and creamy Hagen leads. BUT for my personal chug taste, Shape 0 in Vintage sounds sooooo good.
@Amberience join us! Get one and I bet you'll sell the VH4. I LOVE not having any pedals on the ground

My 2 cabs, VHX and my beloved ESP MX-220 EET FUK Explorer once owned by Slayer guitar tech Armand Crump.

IMG_2531.JPG

So you like the red channels huh? I need to start messing with them. I have all my settings to Blue...Silver Face VH4, Blue Face VH4, Herbert and creamy Hagen leads. BUT for my personal chug taste, Shape 0 in Vintage sounds sooooo good.
@Amberience join us! Get one and I bet you'll sell the VH4. I LOVE not having any pedals on the ground

My 2 cabs, VHX and my beloved ESP MX-220 EET FUK Explorer once owned by Slayer guitar tech Armand Crump.

View attachment 149374

I'd still end up with pedals on the ground, coz I run all my effects up front and AFAIK the effects on the VHX itself can only be run post preamp. I'm more into the thing where you crush the shit out of a delay and reverb by ramming it into the front. Like this:

View attachment 149374
yes, I prefer it to the blue ch.
try this : red ch, shape 0, modern mode, gain 0.50, bass 0,60, deep 0,70 rest at noon. my best diezel sound ever !

That's so cool you guys are digging the Red Channel. I spent last night at my studio dialing up the different VHX Red Channel Variations, and then playing them for like 20-30 minutes each to let my ears adjust, and hear the tone for what it is. Strangely enough: Red, Modern, 2, stood out as a thick, chunky rhythm tone. Very Metallica "Load" era sounding to my ears.

Next band rehearsal, I'm going to test out some rhythm tones with the Red CH instead of Blue CH.

The VHX is getting me to re-think the Red Channel.
On my VH4, I used CH 4 primarily for leads/solos. (and CH 3 for rhythm)
Now, with the VHX's different Voicings and Shapes,
I'm looking at the Red Channel as more of a palette of tones, than just one.
They can be Rhythm or Leads.
I'm even looking at some Blue CH Tones as Lead/Solo tones.

The VHX is a revolution......and I'm all in!

That's so cool you guys are digging the Red Channel. I spent last night at my studio dialing up the different VHX Red Channel Variations, and then playing them for like 20-30 minutes each to let my ears adjust, and hear the tone for what it is. Strangely enough: Red, Modern, 2, stood out as a thick, chunky rhythm tone. Very Metallica "Load" era sounding to my ears.

Next band rehearsal, I'm going to test out some rhythm tones with the Red CH instead of Blue CH.

The VHX is getting me to re-think the Red Channel.
On my VH4, I used CH 4 primarily for leads/solos. (and CH 3 for rhythm)
Now, with the VHX's different Voicings and Shapes,
I'm looking at the Red Channel as more of a palette of tones, than just one.
They can be Rhythm or Leads.
I'm even looking at some Blue CH Tones as Lead/Solo tones.

The VHX is a revolution......and I'm all in!
red ch. of vhx is a lot, lot better than ch4 on vh4.
as you say, it is flexible, but that red ch. is so pissed that for me, it’s the best representation of angry diezel tone. blue ch. is more polite in comparison. but still the vh4 voicing is more hard rockish IMO, whereas red ch. on vhx is modern metal, easily.

Last edited:
Because I had blue ch. with gain on full and it was less than my vh4 with gain at noon.
Thanks again, Tomas, for the test idea!

I hooked up my VH4 and my VHX into my Mesa Head track amp switcher yesterday,
and put both amps' Channels 3 and 4 against each other (Gain at Noon, same settings, same volume-measured by db meter)
and to my surprise, the VHX had equal gain with the VH4 at noon, and dimed.
What surprised me, was that the VHX had more "body" to the tone, than the VH4.
The VH4's tone was a bit thinner/dryer than the VHX.

Mesa Sean is exactly correct: "The VHX is it's own amp"
It is really is "it's own thing".
Now that I'm looking at it like that, the amp has just opened up for me.
I've let go of: "Is this Herbert Ch 3? or Hagen Ch 4?, and I'm just tweaking the Preset for the Song Part,
and what tone fits that part best. It's really opened up the Voices and Shapes for me.
I'm really hearing their textures for their individual voice/shape, and they are inspiring!

Back