Dokken Reunion - live footage

mentoneman":1eamhjsu said:
John 14:6":1eamhjsu said:
I guess this is the Beast From The East show I was hoping for.......I sure do miss Don's voice. Dokken was unbeatable back in the day. There was not even a band that came remotely close to them in my opinion when it came to songs, musicianship and vocals in a four piece metal/rock band.

extreme, badlands and cry of love
Not even close to Dokken. Gary Cherone is not much of a singer though Nuno is a MONSTER player. They had some great songs too. Jake is a very solid player and Ray Gillien did have a great voice. None of the bands had a guy like Pilson, plus Mick Brown always added well to the vocals also. Don was melodic and still had the best rock rock screamer thing going on along with great vibrato. And yes, I know that Don and Dio traded jabs in the Hear n Aid video because Ronnie wanted the best singer in rock to morph into an angry elf Dio clone.....

I'm guessing no one listened to the interview posted above. Right before the show in Iowa he was doing recording and the engineer had the limiter/compressor on without knowing and he pushed himself to hard and hurt his voice.

messenger":1fpu8h6u said:
I'm guessing no one listened to the interview posted above. Right before the show in Iowa he was doing recording and the engineer had the limiter/compressor on without knowing and he pushed himself to hard and hurt his voice.

I'd use a bit stronger word than "hurt"...

ghosty999":gat6i0z2 said:
also... lol Windows 10
51x34g.jpg

When I first glanced at the screen, I thought it was a giant poo emoji.......

alan67":24946dbz said:
messenger":24946dbz said:

I'd use a bit stronger word than "hurt"...
:LOL: :LOL:

yah that mean old limiter should be ashamed of itself. i just sprained my feelings responding to this thread.

sytharnia1560":d3t2k68n said:
Starman22":d3t2k68n said:
In the 80's "Into the Fire" and "Wicked Sensation" were blips on the Sunset Strip rocker radar for about 2 minutes. There were GIT students who studied in homage to Lynch but all in all it was about as popular as WASP (and that isn't much). There was a lot of grand wankery in this time period, Dokken being one of the bigger wankerish bands. Lynch's Kajagoogoo hair can attest to that.

I loved that time period and loved hair metal as much as the next player and understood the strip but thank God bands like AIC and Soundgarden arrived to slam the door shut on that world. It needed to die the death it did.

There was enormous amounts of epic music that came out of 80's rock and metal, but Dokken isn't in that category.

hahaha so wrong
+1!
Dokken is especially in that great 80's category with proper musicianship and awesome songwriting.
And what some folks here seem to miss -the same folks that lump Lynch in one big pile with nameless shredders that only shred for shred's sake-, is that Lynch knows when to step back with the shredding and has awesome lead phrasing. Something that a guy like Malmsteen might take a cue or two from. (I'm not calling Malmsteen a nameless shredder though...he has his own style, but overdoes it...A LOT...ALL THE TIME.)

For me, Dokken, together with Ratt (and to a lesser extent Badlands and Blue Murder) transcended the typical bubblegum hair metal (think Poison, Winger, Danger Danger) of that era.

On a more critical note on the current videos; Don's voice is shot. He can't do ANY highER part obviously and Lynch could use some moderation in Phase90 usage. :gethim:

Rezamatix":1da9a7og said:
there is a new Meshuggah album out...and its amazing....and you guys are watching THIS? SMH.

for the first time i will agree with you...
no for meshuggah...
but for dokken...

man don is bad...really bad...in the videos i saw it was like death was walking...

as for the band dokken,i love 80's metal(more metal than dokken though) and i always liked lynch's solos...

BUT the songs were kinda weak...even in their prime...

This is a recent video of Dokken from March 2017 without the original lineup. Too bad Don's voice did not sound this good when they reunited last fall. :(

Back