Duncan Custom Shop Distortion, anybody ever? Little help?

RyeDaddy

For high powered metal pickups I looooove the Duncan Distortion. I’m looking for something with that same screaming tonality and EQ with maybe a little less compression, more harmonics, a little more clarity, slightly less hot (not alot), and maybe just a touch brighter (it will have a cover and I prefer the brighter more aggressive sound of my uncovered ones vs the covered I have)

I’m thinking of calling the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop and having MJ wind me one. So I don’t sound like an idiot as I’m not an expert in pickup design, what would you suggest I ask for? Only real requirement is it must retain the same basic EQ balance and tight response, and it must have gold covers and screws.

This will be going in a Flying V Custom with a Richlite fretboard, it’s slightly darker sounding. Tuning will be D standard/ drop C.

I’m thinking I want to ask for slightly underwound in the 15.5 - 16k range, same double thick ceramic, maybe degaussed a bit if that’s do-able in a ceramic? Does this make sense for what I’m looking for? I know they’re the experts and will shed some light and probably come up with what I want but still curious as to what those who know more have to say.

Thought about the George Lynch Hunter, but not sure if it’s got a double thick magnet, looks like standard and I believe it’s probably just a Dokkenbucker with a new name. Not opposed, there’s just not a lot of info about it out there or demos.

Any other suggestions for brands or models I’m all ears, I’ve been through BKP Nailbombs in both alnico and ceramic and they didn’t do it for me, neither did the Holy Diver. I don’t care for the JB either.

Gibson 500T worth a look. I think it has same level of compresion like DD but they work very well in Flying V's.
From BKP's camp Miracle Man. Similar to DD but tighter and cleaner and not so hot like it look with its Dc resistence.

bubucci":1g2pbxhe said:
Gibson 500T worth a look. I think it has same level of compresion like DD but they work very well in Flying V's.
From BKP's camp Miracle Man. Similar to DD but tighter and cleaner and not so hot like it look with its Dc resistence.

I gotta agree about the 500t. They are gteat pickups,and can easily been had for $50. I have one in a LP and one in an SG.

Back